The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Oh Polly, wish I had taken a photo of Mrs NHN, who was in her finest Groudle Glen uniform today also!  She was in the ticket office, I was doing jobs on the Steamplex all morning, and steamed it this afternoon for a test run.  I did not end the day clean!

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The one that misses the football being the one that takes off your head!

D'oncha love APFSDS!  (It was merely APDS in my day)

It wouldn't hurt! at about 1600m/s and weighing in at about 4kg an Armoured Piercing Fin Stabilised Discarding Sabot is a bit of a beast and you wouldn't feel a thing!

Todays game was a quick one as Hull lost the toss and made 130 all out. Barnsley knocked these off in 17 overs with one of the openers scoring 101 not out.

Baz

• Like 10

Cyclists in today's Coeur d'Alene Ironman. Those approaching the camera are on their second lap. It was 91F at 11 am when I took that shot, and it's still climbing. Makes me feel quite ill just to look at it - I may have to have some of the foaming ale to settle my nerves.

post-25691-0-86336500-1435515897_thumb.jpg

#949 Don't know who he is, but he seems to be enjoying himself.

post-25691-0-05472900-1435516521_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Oh Polly, wish I had taken a photo of Mrs NHN, who was in her finest Groudle Glen uniform today also!  She was in the ticket office, I was doing jobs on the Steamplex all morning, and steamed it this afternoon for a test run.  I did not end the day clean!

We just don't think of these things at the time or get the opportunity but at least you can still picture Mrs NHN.

Ray hasn't got a pic of me either, although a professional photographer took a photo of me with one of our young drivers.  I may have to email him to get a copy if no-one else produces one! 

• Like 9

So much for having nothing planned for today. I considered going to the mini-expo in Carshalton but then ended up doing a callout near Heathrow. Traffic was terrible and the standard of driving even worse.

Maybe I should have a youtube channel for the dashcam to show the shear stupidity of some

• Like 1

Duncan

Which dashcam do you use and would you recommend it? I'm considering getting one, but the price ranges from a tenner to hundreds.

I've got a 720p Journey Recorder from Maplin. I also use a 32Gb card in it which makes sure that I don't run out of memory even on a very long day when most of it is driving.

Anyway, off for a shower and bed. Another ER tomorrow.

Night all

Evening all and a congratulations to those partners who have completed the Race for Life event. I hope they gave raised plenty of money for such a good cause. A couple of our staff members are regular runners or walkers.

Here in Derby I have spent much of the day doing jobs for Sarah. This involved collecting in all of her Avon books and helping with the house tidying. Then it was off to the inlaws for the usual Sunday dinner. We called in to my parent's on way to drop off my brother's birthday present. Sarah opted to stay in the car though. More awkwardness ensued when my mum mentioned to me that my brother is considering asking me to be a godfather at the Christening. That makes things even more difficult. Let's not forget this event is on the same weekend as my 40th birthday. That may be the day before, but Sarah has planned things for me on the Sunday too. This is really not helping me look forward to such a landmark birthday.

On a positive note I took my Bachmann E4 with me this afternoon and ran it in on Father in laws layout. It ran very sweetly.

Interview now just two days away.

Morning all,

Rick, sorry to hear that you have been so unwell, let's hope it passes quickly!

AndyB, thank you so much for the Vulcan links - we had it here at the Clacton Air Show last year but the memories that came flooding back were of the display it put on at the North Weald 'Fighter Meet' several years ago. I had an airside pass and had the magnificent beast execute a turn right above me, making that unique induction roar as the afterburners were deployed! Sadly, I understand that it may not be possible to keep it flying much longer.

Shortliner, our daughter is currently in the air on board a 787 on the way home from a holiday in the Dominican Republic (I'm following progress on 'Flight Tracker') and it is to be hoped her landing at Gatport Airwick is a bit smoother than the one you linked to! Needless to say, I didn't show Joanna the video!

Polly, looks like you had a great day - hope we get some uniform photos eventually!

Neil, sounds like a real family affair at the Glen today. Is the Steamplex playing up at the minute?

Hope everyone has the best Monday they can, I've got a nightcap to finish and then sleep hopefully!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Rick, sorry to hear that you have been so unwell, let's hope it passes quickly!

AndyB, thank you so much for the Vulcan links - we had it here at the Clacton Air Show last year but the memories that came flooding back were of the display it put on at the North Weald 'Fighter Meet' several years ago. I had an airside pass and had the magnificent beast execute a turn right above me, making that unique induction roar as the afterburners were deployed! Sadly, I understand that it may not be possible to keep it flying much longer.

Shortliner, our daughter is currently in the air on board a 787 on the way home from a holiday in the Dominican Republic (I'm following progress on 'Flight Tracker') and it is to be hoped her landing at Gatport Airwick is a bit smoother than the one you linked to! Needless to say, I didn't show Joanna the video!

Polly, looks like you had a great day - hope we get some uniform photos eventually!

Neil, sounds like a real family affair at the Glen today. Is the Steamplex playing up at the minute?

Hope everyone has the best Monday they can, I've got a nightcap to finish and then sleep hopefully!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

Jock, it was quite brilliant seeing so many people on site enjoying themselves.  I didn't expect to be doing anything other than perhaps ushering a few visitors but I did get a good spell as guard on the back of a train before and after the official proceedings and Ray got to drive the morning steam engine.  One of the timings was spot on as it gave me the chance to give a welcoming wave to the Mayor and the Mayoress passing by on their way to the entrance.  I'm surprised I had the nerve to do that but it's funny how you can forget your inhibitions when doing a 'job' and one of the the jobs on the train is to wave, I believe. :mosking:

Post script

Good night Jock

Good night all

Nos da

Edited by southern42
  • Like 12

I watched the TV coverage of the NASCAR race today. It's the last year that Jeff Gordon will be driving, this is a 'farewell tour' for him. His in-car camera showed a couple of small adverts in the cabin for the AARP. This is an organisation now known by its initials, but previously as the American Association of Retired Persons. I thought that was a humorous little touch.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Blessed be the coffee maker!

Tech familiarisation with our trams will be the focus this week. The actual driving lessons will commence next Monday. Can't wait!

Have a good one, everyone...

• Like 16

Morning all and I have to agree with Dom about the coffee maker.

It looks like this week is going to be a scorcher and I'm not looking forward to working in that heat.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A poor nights sleep thinking about too many things.

Then at about half past midnight it suddenly dawned on me that I had used the wrong spray on my other halfs plants after I cleaned the patio. I had used the weedkiller one rather than the bug one. So I went outside and sprayed them with a lot of water. Probably too late but fingers crossed they survive!!!

I have yet to tell her.

Morning All,

I am back in the office this morning, after a rather busy weekend.

We went down to Friedrichshafen for the International Ham Radio exhibition. All in all, it was a great weekend, but a bit on the hectic side. A four hour journey down on Saturday morning, the whole day at the exhibition, overnight at a hotel and then back on Sunday morning. If we do the same next year, then I think we will spend an extra night there.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

After hearing the terrible news in Tunisia we have heard that one of Chris's work colleagues and her husband who were holidaying at the resort  are still unaccounted for. Our thoughts are with their family and all those affected by this horrible event.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

Sunny morning this morning - hope it stays that way!

Finished sound chipping a couple of things for a friend last night. Turned into a bit of an adventure as a couple of wires needed resoldering.

Have a great Monday everyone! I need tea, now!

Baz

• Like 12

Morning guys...

Seems the death toll from Tunisia is still rising and my thoughts go to all the families who just went for a break with some sunshine on their backs.  Dreadful situation, but trying to stop one off attacks is nigh impossible.  Fear is a powerful emotion that can wreck economies and have a devastating impact on many aspects of life.

Compared to what's going on in the world right now, this is a non event, but there was much stupidity in our household yesterday.

Discovered that my UV filter had failed whilst we were away, so ordered a new one that arrived yesterday.  Upon unpacking and inspection I noticed a hairline crack in the internal quartz sleeve, so it would have to be returned.  Completed all the online forms with Amazon, but then thought I ought to take a pic of the damage before returning it.  Whilst sliding the 55w tube out, the whole unit slipped with the tube half out.  Glass tubes a meter long don't bend, so that shattered and the force then completely broke the internal quartz sleeve….. :O

Glass everywhere and much hoovering of the carpet.

Of course that blew my return out of the window, so had to order a tube and sleeve for £50.

Not one of my better days…. :no:

The weather report on the late local news said that there had been over 30 'hottest temperature for the date' records broken in BC yesterday, and more than 25 more today. Some of the records broken had stood for over 90 years. It is hot!