The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from a rather wet and soggy red dragon land.

It took me a while to notice there wasn't an 'e' in the name of our steam loco to Minehead, Castle class 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe.

post-14049-0-59686800-1436816857.jpg

There's obviously a pattern there....as I realised when we headed for Bridgnorth (for the Severn Valley Railway) on our way back home.

post-14049-0-72833700-1436817556.jpg

That's rebuilt West Country 34027 Taw Valley behind which was rostered the previous week.

Laurence Llewelyn Bowen in China on tv now.  Met him in 2009 while he was researching Hidden Houses of Wales (BBC2).  Found out he was covering Glynllifon - a neo-classical mansion near Caernarfon where I had undertaken a one day a week Welsh language course in the 90s.  The best bit of the day (but don't tell the the tutor) was the walk round the wooded grounds after the two course lunch. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Wey hey!  A win over a stubborn Duchess.... one "City of Carlisle" sound fitted!! woohoo......

and BoD you are very close to the Woooopppppppidddddoooooooo! day!

Baz  a very happy sound fitting person.

• Like 12

Evenin' all. 

Not sure whats going on - for the 2nd day in a row I've been out to the garage and done some work on the layout.

Tonight's effort centred on taking the station building off the layout, muttering "that's nowhere near good enough" and starting to scratch build a replacement. 

Anyway, night all. 

Edit: Well done BoD. I'm sure there are many, many pupils who have reason to be grateful for all of your hard work. Now, have a break and a Kit Kat. :)

N.B. other breaktime chocolate biscuits are available. 

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I sincerely believe Andy's post and the subsequent outbreaks of silliness were all profoundly tongue in cheek. A bit of friday fun with no malicious intent against poor punctuation. Given the current standard of typesetting and quality control on BRM, it couldnt be any other way ;)

I have tonight found where the line is drawn in the battle against bad grammar.

Faced with an advertisement where an individual says "can I get a big mac?"

Apparently it is excessive to shout loudly at the television "No you cannot, you ar$hole, but you may wait there whilst a member of staff prepares one for you!"

We live and learn.

Especially when married.

• Like 11

No e it is.  Oxford Gold in this case, quite a pleasant drink.  I recall having Brakspears Special, but it was a while ago.  It was in the Hole in the Wall opposite Waterloo station IIRC, on our honeymoon, 31 years ago gone March!  Yet the Oxford Gold brought back the memory of the taste of the Special, so it must be roughly similar.

As for Donk, he's on a tight rein at the moment, after flirting so dangerously with Dr SC.  He'll have to speak to Mike to ask for her hand in such a cross-breed marriage!  They did look very happy together, Donk has shown good taste, Dr SC is a nice girl/woman/lady * (*delete as appropriate to not cause offence) as well as obviously highly intelligent.

Well there's only one possible rating for that post - thanks.

Donk is a gentleman. Must be the influence of the company he keeps.

• Like 14

Evening all.

Damp and dreary today so after a quick visit to the supermarket to top up with provisions spent most of the day in the new shed pottering.

Baz, you've just reminded me I have a few sound decoders to fit before our next exhibition - at least I've now got somewhere to do it apart from the dinning room table.

Ray.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  Mention of Breakspears reminds me that it's bitter here too and not in a drinkable way!  Polar gale blowing up for the Southern Ocean might yet bring showers of penguins .......

Chatham ..... dated a lass there once.  Just once.  I think "incompatible" would be an understatement despite a degree of mutual attraction at the time.  Lots of steep hills there.  Ask anyone who's tried to reach the station from the shopping centre.  And anyone who's tried the hike to Hempstead Valley which is surely some sort of misnomer!  One of the longest and steepest was always that up to Luton where the buses used to live.  Hands up who knew that Luton was in Kent?

Trams ..... ah yes, I watch them roll past the Palace of Attendance at the rate of two a minute in peak hours and about one every other minute in the quieter times.  "Fahrschule" on the front of Dom's reminds me of my first ski-ing trip to Austria where to a 13 year old it was somehow amusing that every ticket on the lifts and cable car was emblazoned with the legend "1 Fahrt"

• Like 19

Morning All,

It is a little on the dreary side here this morning, but still quite warm. Looking at the south eastern sky, it wouldn't surprise me if we have a thunderstorm on the way.

Nice to see such an interesting report from Dom - you seem to be really enjoying it, which is great!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 13

Trams ..... ah yes, I watch them roll past the Palace of Attendance at the rate of two a minute in peak hours and about one every other minute in the quieter times.  "Fahrschule" on the front of Dom's reminds me of my first ski-ing trip to Austria where to a 13 year old it was somehow amusing that every ticket on the lifts and cable car was emblazoned with the legend "1 Fahrt"

When I was in nominal charge of a group of uni students on a trip to run in the German Universities cross-country championships in the late 70s, I had to explain to some of them that when somebody said "Gute Fahrt", he wasn't congratulating them on breaking wind...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Dom looks like your new job suits you very well!

Today is tidy up before kitchen rebuild starts on Friday (3 days earlier than expected).

Brakspeares Old.....mmmmh memories of shopping that by a roaring fire in the Red Lion in Blewberry on winter Sunday evening. Great times!

Now off to drink my first mug of tea of the day.

BoD not long to go till poetr day.

Ray hope the sound fitting goes well another Duchess and a Caprotti 5 are next.

Baz

• Like 14

Morning all. Another grey day where it appears that the traditional British summer is definitely here.

Another day of ejumacation with only one more left including exams.

Dom - You certainly seem to have found your ideal job.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your comments, folks. I should like to add that holding brakes on trams can be implemented with different release mechanisms. On the T4Ds and Leoliners, it is solenoids, while the NGT8 and NGT12 cars have electrohydraulic holding brakes. Braking force, on the other hand, is provided by powerful springs, so that (as on the trailers) a total loss of power to the braking circuit will remove the releasing force and yield automatic brake application.

Mechanically, the holding brake on the T4D is configured as an outside drum brake, while the other types have brake disks and callipers.

Top pf the morning to you all. A rather dull one here in Carshalton sur Mer as we prepare for the transhumance that is the Smiffy summer. We will swap the whelkmen of Surrey for les pêcheurs du bulot in deepest Normandy. Today, of course, les pêcheurs will be celebrating the festival of the quatorze juillet, the anniversary of the liberation of the pêcheurs from les aristos de buccin who controlled the trade in the 1700s.

Coffee is at hand, the day beckons emptily (apart from packing the car, which Julie does because I annoy her by being messy. Suits me). So I leave you to your trams and fahrting as I simply tram about. Apparently I need to clean the cooker...

Have a good day, all. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Seeing Petes comment above, I feel the same except for wanting a beer instead. Wetherspoons start serving beer at 9am :drink_mini: :drink_mini:

Last night me and my other half did share a small bottle of Eton and Riverside Brewery Conqueror but the  special one at 7%. The finishing touches on TAVISTOCK didnt go all crooked either.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Slightly less cloudy today and it has stopped raining now.

Nothing specific planned for today though of course meals need preparing and Robbie will need a walk.

Matthew is working steadily on his dissertation, though not yet today. I think he didn't exactly go to sleep early. He has been in contact with some of the people he will be sharing a flat with in Utrecht.

Tony

• Like 5