The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Are Indian onions what are known here as red onions? I used to get confused as Aditi and her family dont use the description bhaji. They call them pakoras, a regional thing I suspect.

Tony

I think so - red onions are what was called for in the recipe, however the Mrs had a couple of regular onions on hand so she insisted we use those up instead. Not sure how much difference to the flavor as a result, they were anyway very tasty...

Birthdays abound it seems, greetings to Andrew, Pete and Phil.

POETS and a late BIN day here. BINs out last evening in eager anticipation, and so as not to disappoint the BIN racket started around 6:45...

Nothing to report from yesterday save the arrival of Whitney as Jemma is off again flying.

Starting out 22 and sunny this AM, supposed to be nice weather for a couple of days with highs around 28 and low humidity -  :sungum:

Probably POE but we have no specific plans for the weekend, so far!

Have a good POE day...

• Like 15

Happy birthdays to Andrew for yesterday, Pete for today and Phil for tomorrow - and anyone else who light have one hereabouts!

United Utilities have returned in force for pipe detection and again failed to find it. They plan to return early next week with what they call a Thumper, which connects to a tap in the house, and puts a pressure pulse (or thump!) down the pipe, then they have a sensitive listening device to detect the pulses. I hope that it works better than the diviners and CST scanners used so far.

On a more positive note, I appear to be finally coming to the end of a long battle to get our MRC PayPal account fully set up and recognising our charitable status. It seemed that every time I supplied some information, they then asked for about three times more. The most recent request was for details of our board of directors, which we don’t have! Today, I actually managed to speak to someone who was actually very helpful, and said that I should put in details of our trustees instead, so I have got all the necessary information, and will get that submitted. The person that I spoke to will then check our account before she goes off shift this afternoon, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is now at an end.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

...I guess he's probably a cockwomble who drives on the roads having only read the manual supplied with the car..

I had to resort to the manual. I couldn’t find the button to control the courtesy and interior lights on the new car. All was revealed. There are no knobs. Waving near or touching the lamp cover is the way to do it.

Tony

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Happy birthdays to Andrew for yesterday, Pete for today and Phil for tomorrow - and anyone else who light have one hereabouts!

United Utilities have returned in force for pipe detection and again failed to find it. They plan to return early next week with what they call a Thumper, which connects to a tap in the house, and puts a pressure pulse (or thump!) down the pipe, then they have a sensitive listening device to detect the pulses. I hope that it works better than the diviners and CST scanners used so far.

On a more positive note, I appear to be finally coming to the end of a long battle to get our MRC PayPal account fully set up and recognising our charitable status. It seemed that every time I supplied some information, they then asked for about three times more. The most recent request was for details of our board of directors, which we don’t have! Today, I actually managed to speak to someone who was actually very helpful, and said that I should put in details of our trustees instead, so I have got all the necessary information, and will get that submitted. The person that I spoke to will then check our account before she goes off shift this afternoon, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is now at an end.

A friend lives in what was a couple of farm cottages knocked into one house. They and a neighbour were informed by the farmer that he was going to grub up an orchard. According to plans their water supply pipes ran cross the orchard. It was decided to relay the pipe around the edge. So all weekend they dug a trench with a mini digger across the field to find where the pipe entered the orchard. When they found it they discovered the pipe they had been following was terminated. It appeared that the supply did go round the edge. Not sure if they ever found where the water actually entered the cottage plumbing. They do have stop cocks but between there and the supply pipe wasn’t known. Very rural and old buildings. Edited by Tony_S

Gay Crusader has arrived! Nice to be able to take it home before the weekend. I got it for an absolute steal - brand-new, never been run (never even been taken out of the box) and the deduction from my bank account was, in the end, only about £40 - result!

Heading home, via the petrol station, in 10 minutes. Oh happy day...!

• Like 16

Yes, there have been many times when I have bemoaned the closure of railways in Lincolnshire, some 154 stations closed and the vast majority of track ripped up.  This is not one of those times.

I do however sympathise greatly with those whose only or necessary mode of transport it is. 

'Shambles' hardly covers it.*

(*with apologies to the residents of York)

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

POE as planned.

On the tee an hour or so later for a singles knockout - playing someobe whom I had knocked out a couple of years ago, so I knew he'd be up for it

Won the first by chipping in for a 2.

Won the second despite losing my original tee shot and taking a 2-shot penalty as a result (still walked off with a bogey 5)

Par on the 3rd to go 3 up after 3.

Then it went a bit wrong.

Level after 6.....

2 down at 9.

Seesawed between 1 and 2 down for a few holes.

2 down with 3 to play, but if there's one thing I will do at matchplay, it's never give up until the large female is on stage and making music.

Level on the 18th tee.

The Red Arrows fly over on their way to display at Southport

Opponent 3 putts to lose.....

A place in the Semi final is the reward.

There may be a celebratory beverage consumed soon.

Have a good evening folks.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 17

Gay Crusader now sitting on the rolling road, running in. Motor is much smoother now - in the beginning it was a bit of a grinder...

OK, confess. Hands-up all those who didn't dare post what they were thinking :)

• RMweb Premium

The hot weather took a toll on the Blood Doner Session. I suffered my first rebleed whilst waiting to get a coffee after donating. Whilst that was being cleaned up and redressed, other staff were attending to three other doners who were feeling faint. All three ended up with legs elevated above their heads with an extended wait before they were allowed to get up. The session was running late when I arrived and obviously got more delayed. No ill effects from the rebleed and after been seen by the Senior Nurse I was allowed to go on my way. Car was showing 33C as I left. Shirt has been soaked and washed and I just need to wait till 10 to remove the plaster.

• RMweb Gold

As my new loco was on the dining table so Aditi could see it I thought I should fit its decoder. I thought I had a Lenz silver 21 but it was an empty box! I found a Bachman 21pin and it seemed to program properly but would not move. I reset the decoder and still no movement although as before it twitched when programmed. I changed the loco ID from 203 to 1203 and everything was fine. All back together and the yellow roof on the diesel looks very pretty.

I still haven’t decided whether to go tomorrow or Sunday to the Basildon exhibition. Sometimes there have been other functions at the school but at least with all this dry weather the field should be available for parking.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16

The hot weather took a toll on the Blood Doner Session. I suffered my first rebleed whilst waiting to get a coffee after donating. Whilst that was being cleaned up and redressed, other staff were attending to three other doners who were feeling faint. All three ended up with legs elevated above their heads with an extended wait before they were allowed to get up. The session was running late when I arrived and obviously got more delayed. No ill effects from the rebleed and after been seen by the Senior Nurse I was allowed to go on my way. Car was showing 33C as I left. Shirt has been soaked and washed and I just need to wait till 10 to remove the plaster.

Mike, youngish, female and not enough hydration?

Bill

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Happy birthday Pete! May a beer (or two) head your way.

Happy pre birthday Phil.

Watched the England v india T20 tonight. Very close game.

Tomorrow off to Otley v Ilkley this time as an umpire.

Submitted my on line DBS..apparently it will take 5 days to clear..normally it takes a day for me due to a previous life.

Sleep well all!

Baz

• Like 13

Happy birthday Pete! May a beer (or two) head your way.

Happy pre birthday Phil.

Watched the England v india T20 tonight. Very close game.

Tomorrow off to Otley v Ilkley this time as an umpire.

Submitted my on line DBS..apparently it will take 5 days to clear..normally it takes a day for me due to a previous life.

Sleep well all!

Baz

I'm at Lord's Saturday week! Hopefully a berth in the Mound stand so I can be with the Indian support.

Bill

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. All set up for the morning now, just a bit of tidying up and price labeling to do in the morning. Latest forecast is 31C. for both days but tomorrow I do not expect to be busy after 3 o'clock. Also tomorrow there will be the mass RAF flypast, a little to the north of us but we might hear it, its following the A12/Liverpool Street line from Ipswich but I'm not sure of the times. Tony, if you visit the show I have an item that I promised you ages ago. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 13

Late finish for the first Aid team at Lord's yesterday, certainly for the guy (me) who has to check and clean 24 radios.  It also took a long time to clear 24,000 out of the stands and a fair number stayed for a beer or few.  Hence home at 12:15 and felt fairly whacked all today.

Watched some dire amateur dramatics this evening; apparently the afternoon was as bad.

And so to bed.  Keep well all.

Bill

Edited by bbishop

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

Just back from the Ben the Border Collie Appreciation Society, where he was much appreciated. He behaved well considering the door was left open to let the heat out. Though one member expressed surprise with a dogs cold nose... that'll teach him to wear shorts...

Numbers attending were back up a bit,so we spent too much time mardeling and not enough muddelling.

The new 0.6 mm square. Wire looks just right when cut up for fence posts...as does the new kevlar " cotton" to imitate wire. I just need to improve my fencing skills...

Time for bed said Zebedee..

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

On the way home from the Trafford Centre we called at the butchers to pick up the weekly meat rations and we were lucky enough to get a couple of pasties too!

As predicted, it was a bit manic here this afternoon however, Charlie, was his usual laid back self, but his siblings were very excited. He was pleased with his present, although to call it a present doesn’t really seem right, as we gave him a cheque. But, it was no ordinary cheque, we’d been saving a small amount every month since his birth, so in the intervening 18 years, it’s grown to be quite a substantial amount. I think he had to look at it a number of times for it to really sink in.

Just after tea we had a phone call from Mike asking if they could call round as the main road they have to travel along to there House was closed due to a serious road accident. Naturally we said it was fine and they arrived a few minutes later and we then spent the next couple of hours chatting.

We then opened up a bottle of Shiraz and watched the Eric Clapton documentary from last weekend.

Pete. Happy birthday

Goodnight all

• Like 18