The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

There was a bit of cloud first thing this morning, but the that now seems to be making way for the sun. Once Sheila has left for her Zumba class, I’m off out to the garden, where I’ll remove some more grass.

Back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Not much sleep again last night due to the heat and my painful hip.  That's eased off a bit now I'm moving around.

Another very hot day forecast so I will be doing quite a lot of nothing at all apart from a brief trip out to get one or two essential supplies. (And also sipping the occasional long cool drink)

Some good news from Thailand, let's hope there's more today.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Yet again scorchio seems to be the order of the day, though perhaps not quite so scorchio as it has been, maximum according to the Met Office is going to be around 22oC.  Hot night again, and all the windows were open and a fan running much of the night, which was most welcome.  I guess we got about seven hours or so with sweat breaks, before wakening around 5am to find that HOORAY both Vanessa Feltz and Chris Evans were off for one reason or another, though the replacements were only marginally less annoying - how I wish there was an alternative with some music, not talk, in the early morning, other than Smooth Radio or Radio Lancashire.

Got to visit town again later this morning, to get the missing bank statement from Saturday.  Meantime, a few jobs domestic are in order while 30747 is at work.  Also, I need to check out the front door again, as it seems to be sticking, and the lock is getting a bit stiff - hopefully nothing major.

Back later/tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

It ain't arf hot mum - and set to continue although the Exeter seaweed predicts slightly lower temperatures over the next 2-3 days, then back up to current forecast levels.  The veg is surviving but only with generous applications of water and I am lathe to start on my own 1,000 gallons as that needs to be kept fr the hosepipe ban which Thames (always leaking) Water are now muttering about - although quite why I'm not sure after all the rain which fell earlier in the year.

So basically another day of trying to escape the heat but at least the parking should reduce substantially today and Mrs Stationmaster's enjoyment of Tesco visits will be reduced as all the strapping young men leave the area.

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Later Mooring Awl.

Now sitting in my airconditioned lab at 23+-1/2 a degree C. (23.054C at the moment.)

At the Doctors I got a bit of a brush off, I got the definate feeling she didn't want me there. Instead of the normal tests mentioned before, it was: here's your figure (53), that's good, Anything else, good bye.. I was five minutes late going in, but 2 minutes early leaving (for an 08:40 to 08:50 appointment.)

Anyway I have a major system to measure , on the 5th measurement now...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Peeps 

Up late again the bedroom was cool so we stayed till it started to warmed up. :boredom:

No plans today apart from running my bargain off fleebay all the mods have been

completed and just waiting for brass plates from Modelmasters and some more

scenic work maybe done if the garage doesn't warm up too much. :heat:

Her is off to Horrorsons for the weekly shop we sat and decided what low fat food we 

fancied anything tasty these days seems to be on the naughty list it will be lots of fish

items along with several king prawn stir fries if we are good I get the prawns fresh they

taste better. :happy_mini:

enjoy your day K Holm   :biggrin_mini:

• Like 15

We only have four gooseberry bushes but they have had a huge crop this year. Ours have been frozen and will supply us with the fruit for gooseberry crumble for quite a while. I prefer rhubarb crumble and fortunately the rhubarb is doing well too.

If you have four gooseberry bushes, you must really like them! We have two bushes, and get more than plenty. We used to have three bushes, but with a huge surfeit of them, I dug one bush out. This years crop is plentiful, but the berries are smaller than usual, because of the lack of rain over the past month or more. I have picked two tubs full this morning, and Mrs G is currently topping and tailing them.

The saga of the water leak continues! After Friday’s third unsuccessful attempt to find the water pipe, a United Utilities van arrives at 9.20 this morning, with three guys inside. After I say how early they are, they tell me that they have done one job already this morning. When I tell them that this one might take longer, they reply that they will soon have the large hole filled in. It is only then I realise that they are only here to fill in the hole dug by the earlier UU team. I then explain to them that far from being filled in, the hole may need to be enlarged to find the pipe. The net result is that they have now left, without having done anything! A phone call to UU followed, and I await a reply to tell me when the leak detection team will return.

• RMweb Premium

So you haven't been converted yet?

(To battery power and Radio Control :)  )

Funnily I do have two dual system locos, that have batteries but they still need the points changing for them.

Jamie

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit late this morning as the weekends exertions caught up on me and I overslept. I examined my purchase, the American wooden bridge last night. It appears to date from the 60's, produced by a company called Campbell who's symbol is a cartoon American railroad engineer wearing a kilt. It has a price label of $26:50. I don't know whether I should build it or leave it as a kit. My friends young son made sure that he didn't forget his hat yesterday, it remained firmly on his head, even if a bit askew. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 18

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings from the boring borough. I won't say its hot but a pair of Hobbits just came to the door and threw a ring into the house. Getting tired of this. Sadly the bloody builders have buried the shed's air con unit behind about 2 tonnes of their crap. Normally the unit would have been moved into the bedroom by now.

Still no sign of them. Plan B starts tomorrow if they don't show up. Tomorrow the bid goes out to complete the work I can't do and I'll finish off what I can. I doubt I'll ever see a refund for the difference between what they've been paid and what they've completed but I can guarantee they'll never get another bit of work through bidvine or trusted trader. The skip hire has been notified to remove the skip. I'll get another company to supply the final one. The end of my tether hath been reached. 

In other news, it was tears all around yesterday as we bade farewell to MiL after her 5 week visit. My new locos arrived but until I clear the shed of the builder's crap my modules will have to remain in storage. 

That's all for me. Now just noon as too many other interruptions delayed my typing. 

Enjoy the day. 

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit late this morning as the weekends exertions caught up on me and I overslept. I examined my purchase, the American wooden bridge last night. It appears to date from the 60's, produced by a company called Campbell who's symbol is a cartoon American railroad engineer wearing a kilt. It has a price label of $26:50. I don't know whether I should build it or leave it as a kit. My friends young son made sure that he didn't forget his hat yesterday, it remained firmly on his head, even if a bit askew. Thats it for now, be back later.

Cambell kits. Now that takes me back. Good quality wood but bloody expensive they were. Instructions were some times just second rate early quality photocopies. If they are unreadable you may be able to look up the kit online and get a better quality copy. 

• Like 1

There is: your own PC! Load your CD collection to the PC, create a playlist and presto: one talk-free, only-your-own-taste-of-music uninterrupted music supply ;)

I have done that in the car. I have filled an 8GB USB stick with my music, then have it on a random playlist, so that I never know what is coming next, just that I like it!

United Utilities eventually called back and they plan their next attempt to sort our leak on Thursday. By the time they have finished, my leak could have kept half the village supplied for ages. I just wish I had confidence in their ability to find it.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Still feeling knackered after the weekend but thats probably down to the heat more than anything. Encounted a pair of prize cockwombles yesterday morning on the run down to collect my friend and his lad. At the Sadlers Farm roundabout I was in the right hand lane. As the lights changed and the traffic moved onto the roundabout cockwomble 1 who was in front of me decided he wanted to go onto the A130 so he carved his way through the line of traffic on the left. This he did behind cockwomble 2 who then decided that he wanted to go to Canvey so he cut me up while doing so.

Pretty sure now that 1 or more ribs aren't just bruised, they're cracked. 

Boss got very twitchy when I ran this past him, since I managed to injure myself on work property and in work time. I reassured him, however; it was my decision that led to my injury, for which I take responsibility, and there is therefore no lesson the company needs to learn from this. It baffles me that this chain of reasoning should surprise anyone: is our culture really so degraded that the concept of personal accountability is exceptional?

I know this sounds like the prelude to any one of several hundred interchangeable old git rants, but it can't be: I'm only 34!

And now I'm off to forage for painkillers. 
Regards,
Gavin

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My small dab / FM radio has a memory as well, there about 30 albums loaded, I generally have it on random play.

We've also had a leak, I think it may have been there some time. It was in the mobile home behind and below the cooker. I think I've just scored some points by fixing it half an hour ago. Luckily with the low water pressure down there, by opening all the taps I was able to do the repair without flooding the place..the stop cock is broken... That will be another very soggy project ...

• RMweb Gold

Evening Peeps 

I'm really steaming at the moment, Her has complained about Her Vax (vacuum cleaner) today the cable needs replacing where she knot it

up around the handle for stowage the wire cleats have been droken off where she contuinally crashes it into the cupboard I went straight

online to Mr. Lewis and bought her a new one I'll gift wrap it when it gets delivered. :boast:

No modelling got done today it was too warm in the garage I did however run in my cheapy purchase for about 1/2 hour it's now very quiet 

and devoid of any gear train noise and was happy with 10 coaches for a further 1/2 hour after an oiling.

Continuing in lazy b'stard mode I watched some tennis this afternoon and fell a sleep to be woken by the eldest daughter with news that she

is going to look at a larger house locally with her other half tomorrow, small world I done a lot of corrective work on this house after cowboys

had left it in a mess so they now have a list of possible work that might still needs doing. :rtfm:

I'll be watching 24 hours in Police custody tonight to see what  my daughter gets up to at work in CID. :dontknow:

enjoy you evening P.O.D'viewer  :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by 81C
  • Like 18

United Utilities eventually called back and they plan their next attempt to sort our leak on Thursday. By the time they have finished, my leak could have kept half the village supplied for ages. I just wish I had confidence in their ability to find it.

You might suggest to Untidy Utilities that they stop messing about and simply install a new line. (The existing one may be complete carp anyway.) These days they don't even have to dig a trench. They could use a horizontal boring machine and get it done in next to no time.