The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Made a mug of tea when I woke up at 9am which was enjoyed while listening to Chris Country at a very low volume. Made mugs of coffee for SWMBO and myself at 10am. I enjoyed mine straight away while SWMBO took until 10.30am to stir! She is now doing some crochet while I have turned up the volume of the radio and am about to have a shower. Breakfast today is half a Grapefruit plus whatever else I can get away with. BBQ ribs are scheduled for evening meal today. I hope we will have a walk today or I will be forced to think of something I need from a shop! 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Happy Anniversary to Andrew and Mrs C, and many more of them.

we finally have some sunshine here this morning, and the temperature has risen to the dizzy heights of about 16 degrees. It may get higher this afternoon.  Some hedge trimming has been done this morning, and this afternoon will see an attack on outbreaks of “Mare’s Tail“, using a glyphosate weedkiller.  For years, I have been trying to get it out of the lawn, so my current plan of attack is to apply the weedkiller with a fine paint brush, so that the grass is untouched.

Asda duly delivered some supplies this morning, with only 3 items being substituted this time.  One of those involved a pack of dried soup mix being replaced by a bag of ‘fresh’ diced carrot and swede.  A bit of an odd substitute in our view.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Simon G said:

this afternoon will see an attack on outbreaks of “Mare’s Tail“, using a glyphosate weedkiller.  For years, I have been trying to get it out of the lawn, so my current plan of attack is to apply the weedkiller with a fine paint brush, so that the grass is untouched.

The stuff is all along the railway next to me.

I wish I could flamethrower the lot of it...……….

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Happy Silver Anniversary to Mr and Mrs C. Just think ..the average time served in prison for murder in the UK is 16.5 years...just saying like....

All work as stated by her indoors complete.. ooh err! and afternoon of chassis building can now take place...

Having dug the asphalt up outside of our house the council workmen have now moved on somewhere else.. By now I should really understand the workings of Leeds City Council...no chance!.

Baz

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

1 hour ago, Simon G said:

This afternoon will see an attack on an outbreak of “Mare’s Tail”, using a glyphosate weedkiller.

44 minutes ago, newbryford said:

The stuff is all along the railway next to me.

I wish I could flamethrower the lot of it...……….

The sad thing is that even if you did flamethrower the lot of it, it would still come back!  It is very difficult to permanently get rid of.  Even when I treat it with glyphosate, I wear rubber gloves and manually work the weedkiller into the weed, to make sure it absorbs it properly.

Edited by Simon G
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

T ...snip... If the dogs don’t mind, why should I? ...snip...

Have a great day!

They probably enjoy the various bouquets of odors that their sensitive noses detect. :jester:

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Happy silver to Andrew and Mrs. C. Will be going out shortly to move a couple of items into the garage in case it rains and then wheel the garden rubbish bin out for collection tomorrow. But a muggatee first. Be back later.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon again. Yesterday I was rummaging through one of my boxes that hasn't been touched for at least 20 years and came across this:

VaccinationCerts-01.jpg.cec7f764182b4321b7b6b7020b52f4cd.jpg

my vaccination certificate first issued by the Republic Vietnam shortly after my arrival in Vietnam just after the Tet Offensive in early 1968.

Looking at the dates it would appear that on March 15, 1968 I was dragged off to visit the Quarantine Officer to get a Cholera, Peste (whatever that was) and T.A.B jabs followed by another visit on July 12, 1968 for a follow-up Cholera jab and a Smallpox jab which seems to have been a one-off jab.

VaccinationCerts-02.jpg.903602d9c1419a9e7fbd614dcd7b405f.jpg

The Cholera jabs were most frequent and lasted up to 1977. Its interesting to see where I had the jabs - in Vietnam, India, British Airways in London, Singapore, the City and Hackney Health District and Tokyo.

VaccinationCerts-03.jpg.1c9ad4d28da8021d8094e6ab72633e6b.jpg

VaccinationCerts-04.jpg.9c839fb3bf3f2593299b6fb0b04fe3ea.jpg

In addition to that also had jabs for Tetanus, Monovalent Typhoid and Tetanus up until 1975.

VaccinationCerts-05.jpg.d98091c9e292ace5f8d6673a46c921db.jpg

Back in the 1960s and 1970s the Vaccination Certificate was one of your important travel documents and always had to be presented to the Immigration authorities together with your Passport, Travel Tickets (to prove you had a ticket to get home!!) and, if necessary, a Visa when you were travelling around Asia.

Little different to what it is today....

Keith

PS: sorry, forgot to flip pic no.4. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tetsudofan said:

Afternoon from one happy bunny. The package ordered from Gaugemaster at 12 noon yesterday

GaugemasterPackage-01.jpg.241f145f58e5247843d4ae9452cdf30d.jpg

was delivered by UPS at 12:04pm today.

Excellent service both by Gaugemaster and UPS :D.

Keith

Go on, whats in the box:D

• Like 5
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Peste

I asked Aditi what it was and she said a novel by Albert Camus. Then when I explained the context she said “plague”. Her grandmother (MiL’s mother ) died of plague in 1929. There had been plague in India from about 1850. 
Tony

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

According to UPS my package is still delayed in an extreme  weather emergency. However it was put on my doorstep earlier after arriving in a plain white van rather than a UPS vehicle. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Today I had lots of fun shifting 17 bags of Slate Chippings plus 7 bags of Pea shingle from the front of the house to the back - which means a trip of around 100 yards along an alleyway.  Each bag weighs 25Kg - I've a feeling I'll know about it in the morning.

And then there was the Railway Sleeper.  All 2.6m of it, 24.5cm wide and 12.5cm thick.  Heavy? Oh yes, especially when you're shifting it single handed along the same route - and the (narrow) alleyway has a 90 degree bend.  Am I feeling totally bolloxed?  That too.

Here's a question for those more knowledgeable than I ( = most people) on all matters Gardening.  I have a large Pyracantha Bush at the bottom of my garden:

IMG_0722%5B1%5D.JPG.691d68b20e73b5ccaf707cd7def9f015.JPG

- the area in question is currently being redeveloped to create something hopefully a little more pleasing, whilst being easy to maintain.  This will involve the previously mentioned railway sleeper and slate.

However, Mr. Pyracantha has somewhat inconsiderately placed a root smack bang in the middle of proceedings, which makes positioning of the sleeper more complicated than I would like; the Y-shaped crack in the garden path in the first photo is due to the root too :(  :

IMG_0724%5B1%5D.JPG.ea0724769e83d18a5fb2a29944535ce0.JPG

I'm contemplating chopping the root out; I realise it's not ideal but it would make life a lot easier (and the path should benefit too).  Any thoughts please - I don't want to kill the bush as I quite like it and it's pretty useful for killing any intruders hoping to climb the back gate or fence; the birds like the berries too.  Many thanks.

edit: Incidentally, the Fern in the black recycling bin is only there to keep it alive until I replant it after all landscaping works are completed.... 

Edited by polybear
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Well breakfast was enjoyed, the grapefruit was a red one and so juicy! Very nice as was the toast with Marmite on mine and Peanut Butter and Lime Marmalade on SWMBO's. She thinks mine is disgusting and I think hers is worse but the world would be a boring place if we all thought the same! 

BBQ Pork Ribs for this evening are always enjoyed by both of us! Lots of noise outside due to neighbours having a paddling pool for their kids in what is supposed to be a quiet area. Views on what is quiet seem to differ.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The Boss likes peanut butter and Marmite together on toast.  I prefer lots (I do mean lots) of butter and thick cut marmalade.

Tonight we're mainly having cold chicken, jacket potato and salad preceded by Tribute and accompanied by  a Chilean Carmenère.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, polybear said:

I'm contemplating chopping the root out; I realise it's not ideal but it would make life a lot easier (and the path should benefit too).  Any thoughts please - I don't want to kill the bush as I quite like it and it's pretty useful for killing any intruders hoping to climb the back gate or fence; the birds like the berries too.

Is that shrub growing on top of concrete running parallel to the fence? It seems like there are more roots between the concrete and the fence that are the primary roots.

It would seem to me that cutting the projecting root could:

• cause the shrub to die
  • and / or fall, potentially damaging the fence

I understand that it is desirable to keep, but it really is in the wrong place that close to the fence. Unless you want to remove it I wouldn't mess with it, but I'm no expert when it comes to the garden, so please don't do anything based solely on my input.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1