Wigan Model Railway Exhibition 2010

Andy Y

Pies?

steve :D

I do so hope this is a flippant remark, as if the only reason to come to the exhibition is for the pies then the exhibition organising team is putting in an awful amount of effort for nothing.

Perhaps we should order in more pies and have fewer layouts, or perhaps have more pie stalls and fewer traders. Now there's a thought.

I do so hope this is a flippant remark, as if the only reason to come to the exhibition is for the pies then the exhibition organising team is putting in an awful amount of effort for nothing.

Perhaps we should order in more pies and have fewer layouts, or perhaps have more pie stalls and fewer traders. Now there's a thought.

would certainly cut down on all our work!!!!!

but then we would be letting down so many other people who are actually there for the Layouts and Traders!

What might tempt you to come to the Exhibition this year?

The Finescale in the title of the exhibition. I'm coming, having got border clearance from SWMBO, on the Saturday. Reminder to self - nick son's satnav as it's a long time since I was up that way other than straight up the M6 - in 1976 I ran a new Lucas Hydraulics branch in Trafford Park and travelled the area. Even if the areas hasn't changed much the intervening time my memory certainly has.

The Weekly Update

With less than three weeks to go the final preparations are well underway, and there have been several organisational changes since last year. The new initiative of offering a 4 for 3 Advanced Ticket has now closed and has proved very popular, so there should be no complaints about Senior discounts at the door, as everyone who feels discounts are important has had the opportunity to gain one through the website. Advance Tickets with a £1 discount are still available on the website but this offer closes on the 30th November.

Traders and exhibitors who where with us last year may recall the Britannia Hotel experience which may explain why we are back with the Wigan Oak Hotel and the Bellingham, both of which, I am told have undergone refurbishment.

A small team of us where out at the weekend putting up banners around the Arena and Sports Centre and on checking the large car parks further along Loire Drive found the Pay & Display machines used on match days to be switched off. It remains to be seen if this remains so once the Christmas shopping season gets underway. We can only wait and see. Hopefully they may have forgotten about the model railway exhibition.

We are very conscious of the fact that a full day is needed to see everything within the exhibition, so sustenance would obviously be needed. If more than a snack is required there are a number of alternatives outside the Sports Centre, all less than a five minute walk away. Having obtained your passout and turning left as you leave, a short walk brings you within sight of Frankie and Benny's Diner, Pizza Hut (kids eat for free) and the Red Robin Pub (2 meals for £9). Turning right as you leave and entering the Retail Park brings you to Boots (for a meal deal), Burger King, and the Asda Superstore which has a Cafe.

As in previous years snacks are available from the Coffee Bar within the large hall and the Cafe Life in the Centre's atrium. And before anyone asks, pies are on the menu.

Any Wigan Kebabs availiable? (3 assorted pies on a stick) !!

Brit15

Sorry, we are much to refined to defile pies and we of course need to remember that we have visitors coming from down south and we wouldn't wish to appear common.

FROM THE TRADE

Booklaw Publications tell us that they will have three new books to launch at Wigan.

They are:-

'Back to the Old Days - Westerns' by Roger Geach, a colour portfolio book with lots of rare locations of the Class 52's at work. It is hardback, priced at £16.99.

'York: The transition years - Steam to Diesel' a colour card cover book in the Booklaw very much sought after series, with 72 superb pictures from the Keith Prit Collection, Price £12.99.

'The WD 2-8-0 Austerity, The Record', by J. Hooper. A mammoth book with over 300 pages and photographs listing all the building details, works visits, modifications, allocations, withdrawl, disposal locations and dates etc. etc.

Mr J. Hooper will be on the Booklaw stand to sign your copy for you. Usual price £34.99 (special Wigan Exhibition Price £29.00.

Also on sale will be copies of 'Blue Electrics' which proved to be very popular on its release at Warley

• RMweb Premium

Arrr please tell me Wigan show isn't just in a couple of weeks time, I'm doing a demo and got nothing and packed all my stuff away due to moving house!!!

Just do the fire engine that you've been doing for the last few years....... :D

Mick

Arrr please tell me Wigan show isn't just in a couple of weeks time, I'm doing a demo and got nothing and packed all my stuff away due to moving house!!!

I hope you have used plenty of padding with your model railway items!

Need to get my stuff together aswell, might dig the MMP 56 out which I have been working on the last 2 shows :P :O (Wheres the time gone?) You could buy some P4 wheelsets and re-wheel some stock? B)

Cheers

Simon

Looking forward to attending the wigan show with my layout Oulton TMD. Still adding the finishing touches as we speak! It will be finished! ( we hope!)

here is a photo of part of the new extension - jeff and simon - don't forget you need your driver training for the new extension!

allan

post-5119-076223000 1291223778_thumb.jpg

I'm afraid its less than a couple of weeks!!!! its actually in 8 days, 19 hours and 25 mins!!!!!

who's idea was it to put a countdown clock on the website!!!!!

its gets more scary every time i update it, and we have less and less time to get everything ready!!!!!

only putting the finishing touches to everything now.........

seems to come around much quicker each year!

see you there! tongue.gif

WEEKLY UPDATE

There have been a few changes to the trade representation within the Exhibition. Golden Age Models are unable to attend and have been replaced by Castle Trains. We are also awaiting final confirmation that DCC Supplies Ltd. may also attend. Will keep you posted on that.

The floor plan now shows that we are full up. We just need the weather to relent, however it is a beautiful afternoon in Wigan, bright sunshine and just a light dusting, and a little warmer today. All fingers are crossed.

WEEKLY UPDATE

There have been a few changes to the trade representation within the Exhibition. Golden Age Models are unable to attend and have been replaced by Castle Trains. We are also awaiting final confirmation that DCC Supplies Ltd. may also attend. Will keep you posted on that.

The floor plan now shows that we are full up. We just need the weather to relent, however it is a beautiful afternoon in Wigan, bright sunshine and just a light dusting, and a little warmer today. All fingers are crossed.

Hopefully the weather will improve soon. I can't get my car out of the garage and it is needed to get the layout to Wigan  :huh:

Peter

WEEKLY UPDATE

We can now confirm that DCC Supplies will not now be attending, the space now being filled by Castle Trains.

We have also had a layout 'Wilveliscombe' withdraw due to the weather conditions in Taunton.

We have had the weather forecast for the week, the outlook for Friday and the weekend promises an improvement and whilst not being tropical it will be six degrees warmer than it has been today. There is a light dusting of snow in our area, but it has been very cold and frosty. South Lancashire seems to have escaped the worst of the weather. I will give daily weather updates in the run up to the exhibition.

WEEKLY UPDATE

................ South Lancashire seems to have escaped the worst of the weather. .............

That's the idea, let's not tempt fate. :blink: S'my sort of trick.

That's the idea, let's not tempt fate. :blink: S'my sort of trick.

THE WEATHER IN WIGAN

A beautiful day, with no snow and temp. of +5. Very frosty this morning but most of the frost had melted by lunch time. A little snow is forecast for this evening and there is to be little improvement tomorrow, but by Thursday it should be better and by Friday much improved.

THE WEATHER IN WIGAN

A beautiful day, with no snow and temp. of +5. Very frosty this morning but most of the frost had melted by lunch time. A little snow is forecast for this evening and there is to be little improvement tomorrow, but by Thursday it should be better and by Friday much improved.

I would like to add that round by the sports arena there has not been any snow at all, (only know this cause a friend of mine lives in that locality) and they only had a bit of frost.

further up the hill we had a little snow but can say that this has all now melted and was replaced today by sunshine, and checking the weather for the rest of this week we shall see no more snow!!!!!

i have been checking the weather here (this is what i'm told the ambulance service use) http://www.accuweath...n/forecast.aspx as you can see the weather is forecast to be fine!

...........or Yorkshire and Lincolnshire where some of the layouts will have to be dug out..........literally!

We are very aware that in other parts of the country things are more difficult. As you say we have layouts coming from the East Coast and from Scotland where it is very white. We are very much keeping our fingers crossed that the promised improvement in the weather makes it easier for everyone to join us this weekend.

Living in the Central belt of Scotland we still don`t have access to our clubrooms and the layout which is not exactly compact at 30`x12` still has to be dismantled and prepared for travelling on Friday morning...assuming we can get the van in for it.

We have lost valuable evenings this week and last when we would have been carrying out the final running checks and breaking the thing down for this weekend.

As it is we are sailing close to the wind..the weather will have to abate tomorrow at latest..no use saying Friday will be fine as thats a bit late for us to start ..unless the organisers allow us a midnight finish on the Friday set up.. and give us a hand

I for one think there is a lot to be said for more shows being scheduled for late Spring ..there are big gaps in the calendar around May/June so why not spread the shows more evenly and make it easier on everyone..remember if the weather is that bad the public will stay away too...it might also avoid clashing with a home game for Wigan FC..which I`m sure is also a deterent for many.

Fingers crossed..hopefully see you all

Dave.

post-2371-060722100 1291774225_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

.it might also avoid clashing with a home game for Wigan FC..which I`m sure is also a deterent for many.

I think you are doing the organisers a great dis service there, the whole point of the exhibition date is that it doesn't clash with a home match, I think they are aware of the folly of that.

Archived