The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

After the farce at White Hart Lane today, what's the point of VAR?

Supposedly brought in to give consistency over refereeing decisions, but has only made things worse and less consistent.

How can you be given offside in a phase of play which is a totally separate and on the opposite side of the pitch from the one in which the goal was scored, might as well pull every goal back to the first offside decision in the match and disallow everything, that's consistency!

Mike.

• Like 1

Leicester City second...…………………...can it happen twice in my life time? (at this point though born and bred in Leicester, I'm a rugby fan, the last time I went to Filbert street Gordon Banks was in goal and I think George Best was playing for some team from up north, we lost......again)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is it just me or do a lot of fans from other teams like to see Leicester doing well? 
Ok, I’m a soft old fool and the sentiment around the tragic death of the owner comes into it, but they are not one of the ‘big’ teams and they are playing entertaining football.  Got to give credit to Brendan Rogers too. It seems he can bring the best out of players and get them  playing well together.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Leicester City second...…………………...can it happen twice in my life time? (at this point though born and bred in Leicester, I'm a rugby fan, the last time I went to Filbert street Gordon Banks was in goal and I think George Best was playing for some team from up north, we lost......again)

Leicester are looking very good this season. They have used the money from selling players wisely and bought in some good new players. Arguably a better squad now than when they won the PL.

I don't expect them to win it again but a top 4 place is looking fairly likely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

When Leicester previously won the league the other allegedly big six clubs were in something of a transitional period, so there wasn't the strength in depth of opposition teams. This season Liverpool and Man City will take some catching and pulling away from IMHO, but, all power to Leicesters elbow, the "big" teams don't like it up 'em, witness the performances of them against the Blades.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Leicester are doing well, but they won't win the league because Liverpool and Man.City will be too strong. They may end up as the best of the rest in 3rd. The battle for 4th could also be interesting. Whether Frank can Chelsea can sustain Chelsea's challenge through the whole season remains to be seen. With so many fixtures the young squad will creak at some point.  Arsenal are not good enough in my opinion which leaves the door open for someone else. With the league so tight at present I still think Spurs could make a recovery and get back in contention. I think Man.United will not find that consistency this year so there could easily be a surprise contender for 4th spot. 

• Like 1

Not so sure about City being so strong this year, they've been playing at shooting themselves in the foot so far... I suppose that today's game will tell us exactly where we stand, but on current form I'd say it'll be 3-0 Liverpool and they'll run away with the PL... I'd say Leicester will battle it out for 2nd to 4th with City and Chelsea...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, andyram said:

Leicester are doing well, but they won't win the league because Liverpool and Man.City will be too strong. They may end up as the best of the rest in 3rd. The battle for 4th could also be interesting. Whether Frank can Chelsea can sustain Chelsea's challenge through the whole season remains to be seen. With so many fixtures the young squad will creak at some point.  Arsenal are not good enough in my opinion which leaves the door open for someone else. With the league so tight at present I still think Spurs could make a recovery and get back in contention. I think Man.United will not find that consistency this year so there could easily be a surprise contender for 4th spot. 

Dunno about a surprise contender. There is already a gap of 8 points (9 if City don't lose) between 4 place and a host of clubs that could easily be 5th. So for one of those to catch up, they really need to get their act into gear very soon.

True the season is a long way from being over, but to state the obvious, those teams need to stop losing!

Personally I hope they don't as my team Chelsea, is a bit porous at the back.

12 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Dunno about a surprise contender. There is already a gap of 8 points (9 if City don't lose) between 4 place and a host of clubs that could easily be 5th. So for one of those to catch up, they really need to get their act into gear very soon.

True the season is a long way from being over, but to state the obvious, those teams need to stop losing!

Personally I hope they don't as my team Chelsea, is a bit porous at the back.

Which is why I think the other members of the top four may not hang on in there. Chelsea are the one I think could fall away due to the Champions League commitments with such a relatively inexperienced squad. I hope Frank does well (even if he did desert us after the Play Off final!)

So, Neil Warnock has left Cardiff City, by 'mutual consent'

Cue all the "terrace megaphones"  from the clubs he's never managed, jumping on the bandwagon to take the p*ss.

Funny really, before he came to Cardiff, we were all the same.

Then you listen to the visiting fans, verbally abuse him....................but only from the clubs he's never managed.

Numerous are the visiting fans (from clubs he has previously managed) who've come to the CCS and giving Warnock a rousing ovation.

He'll leave Cardiff, a very popular manager, with the fans' best wishes.

Put your feet up Neil, you've earned a rest.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

Woke up to the news my beloved Spurs have sacked Mauricio Pochettino then less than an hour after hearing that we've appointed Jose! 

I got REALLY mixed feelings about it. Gutted for Poch, think he's done fantastic but has looked tired and after this seasons start I always wondered if he would see it out. He's taken the club to a new level but for some reason just cant get the team over the finish line. I was thinking how out of order the club are for sacking him and the Jose thing was undoubtedly planned but cant believe he's left with nothing and he'll get a job at a big club I'm sure.

I'm excited to see Jose in charge. Whatever you think of him he's a winner and I don't think he would go to a club unless he thought I had great potential. I think the timing's pretty good with a new transfer window coming up and I believe Daniel Levy wanted to snap him up before someone else did. Spurs have been nearly men for so long and I would love to see them win a major trophy with some confidence. I've loved watching football under Poch but I wonder how they'll set up now but does that matter if we win things.

The king is dead, long live the king!

Love to know what other Spurs fans think 

Steve

12 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Completely the wrong manager/coach for Tottenham.

I think time will tell on that, he knows how to get a trophy so there's no excuse now. It has confirmed, to me, that there's no sentiment/loyalty in football as he must have been approached weeks ago, whether Poch knew that or not we'll never know.

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, sb67 said:

I think time will tell on that, he knows how to get a trophy so there's no excuse now. It has confirmed, to me, that there's no sentiment/loyalty in football as he must have been approached weeks ago, whether Poch knew that or not we'll never know.

Steve.

In the crazy world of Football Chairmen, deals can be done very quickly - days rather than weeks.

But, yes, they had done the deal to get Mourinho before sacking Pocchetino. A truly shabby way to treat someone who has done so much for the club during a very difficult time with the construction of the new stadium.

Of the London clubs, I have always been most aligned to Tottenham so I find this rather disappointing.

• Like 2