Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Forgot to mention; the doors slightly ajar (where that term originate?) love 'em...'orrible 70/80's pre-fab lightweight doors...I want to click 'em shut for some reason.

Q: When is a door not a door?

A: When it's ajar.

Sorry, couldn't resist it. Hat, coat, door closed. Gone.

Edited by Waverley West

Dave, that is just unbelievable!!!  I'm sitting here with a big grin on my face looking at those interiors - such detail!!  Superb.  Where is the furniture from?  Do they do 7mm, do you know?  I'm looking for more interiors for a portacabin in the 80s.

Rod

Thanks Rod. It's a mix of Kibris and Preiser, along with some filing cabinets from Shapeways. I don't think Kibris or Preiser do 7mm, but you might find some 3D printed stuff on Shapeways. It's very variable in price though so it pays to shop around.

HTH

Dave

They are superb, especially for 4mm - the level of detail is just fantastic!

You said it was a 1980s office though and while I'm not a railwayman, I was surprised to see computers on the desks. You'd certainly be forgiven for using model computers in place of green screen VDUs but I am a bit surprised that an office such as this would be computerised at all...

You said it was a 1980s office though and while I'm not a railwayman, I was surprised to see computers on the desks. You'd certainly be forgiven for using model computers in place of green screen VDUs but I am a bit surprised that an office such as this would be computerised at all...

I think a railway office would have been an early candidate for computerisation, T.O.P.S. was introduced in the early 1970s and a depot would have needed terminals to process data for that system.

Jim

In the ScR maintenance depots, Aside from the obligatory T.O.P.S. Terminals which moved in the early 80s from dumb terminals with thermal printers fairly quickly to ICL terminals with built in green screen monitors from about 1984 we first started putting standalone IBM PC's (usually 5150's  with twin drives) in single figures - from 1 to 2! - into initially just the admin offices followed quite soon after in the Depot Manager's and Maintenance Supervisors Offices, all usually with an Epson FX / RX dot matrix printers...  These were later by 1987/88 being upgraded or replaced with the latest Compaq 386's and occasionally those awful orange screen monitors....   Apart from the ICL terminals which were very beige and chocolate brown, the choice of colour was anything as long as it was beige!

In short no, it's a great representation for the time....

[edit] You might ask what for?  Well initially just as word processors - using at the start Wordstar then Multimate and for spreadhseets with Supercalc then Lotus123 and the odd database application for the stores supervisors.

Edited by Bob-65b

Great stuff Dave, it'll be good to see it all in place.

BTW you're not a Pink Floyd fan are you?

Just that I saw this:

attachicon.gifIMG_20160221_004645.JPG

and instantly thought of this:

attachicon.gif71m0ofUWYXL._SY355_.jpg

:)

Not particularly, keefer, but I can definitely see why you thought of that photo!

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the feedback, guys, and thanks Bob in particular for your very useful insight.

I was particularly thinking of TOPS computers when I decided to use those computers. If TOPS was introduced in 76, then I assumed that the associated computers would have been reasonably widespread on the network by the early 80s. WW's main timeframe is the second half of the 80s and I remember desktops coming in at university during that period.

Cheers

Dave

Like to think the guy in the grey suit is getting the walk of shame for even suggesting that Haymarket send its allocation of 47/7s to Eastfield, or even worse perhaps he suggested trying out a few 150 or 158s in the region!!

The poor guy sitting at the table can't believe what he has just heard and can't even bear to look at him as he gets sent packing.

post-4700-0-48460300-1456132473.png

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 6

Like to think the guy in the grey suit is getting the walk of shame for even suggesting that Haymarket send its allocation of 47/7s to Eastfield, or even worse perhaps he suggested trying out a few 150 or 158s in the region!!

The poor guy sitting at the table can't believe what he has just heard and can't even bear to look at him as he gets sent packing.

Or maybe he is not an RMWebber and is getting told to follow this superb thread or else ;)

Cheers, Bob.

Nope, he's a spotter who has just learned that he will be reported for prosecution and a £200 fine...........

Although I don't know if that law worked in Scotland?

I like the one of the empty meeting room...looks like they've all either wet themselves or knocked coffee over. Long meeting?

Pity you can't replicate this, my first visit to Scotland in 1977 as a 14 year old. No permit, walked to the office and were shown around with our own guide who was called from one of the other rooms. Great work, real insperational stuff.

attachicon.gifk.jpg

Now, there's a challenge, Grunfos! I have a domino headcode Deltic, but I don't have a Blue disc-fitted 40 at the moment. (It's on the list). Will a split headcode 40 do?? Unfortunately, if I look in the direction of the photo on the layout, there would be no scenery, but I could do a different angle.

Hi folks,

Not much to report recently, partly because of a trip to MRS Glasgow helping out on the Bleach Green layout.

My health hasn't been too good recently either, but I have now seen a consultant at last and he expects me to make a full recovery, which is very reassuring. It looks like it might take a little while though and I'm not very patient. Keeping it all in perspective though (something I'm not very good at), I hope to slowly emerge from what hasn't been a very pleasant experience, due entirely to an infection I had before Christmas not being treated properly by the local NHS weekend service, who didn't give me a long enough course of antibiotics, with the result that I ended up having 15 days of infection and antibiotics rather than the 7 I could have got away with had I been treated properly in the first place.

Anyway, I'll spare you any more details! In the few spare moments I have had, I have been working on a couple more coaches - a Mk 2 FO, which has had its interior painted and passengers and curtains fitted, oh and a reallocation from the Western region to the Eastern region, along with a Mk 1 Buffet car, which has had its interior done and passengers fitted, along with a few mugs/cups.

Here are a couple of pics...

post-7247-0-14752700-1457092389_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-44605400-1457092395_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-48082300-1457092852_thumb.jpg

I'm quite pleased with how they've come out, especially the curtains (just painted paper cut to shape), which are quite subtle when looking at a whole coach.

The next structure on the list is the water tower, but I quite fancy a short quick-gain project in the meantime, like fitting corridor connections to my 107 unit, which is a long-term plan for all my passenger stock.

Now that they've removed the roof ribs from their Mk 1s, I see Bachmann are planning on fitting passengers to their coaches. And they are doing a white/blue stripe 101 too. I reckon they must be reading this thread!

Talking of Bachmann, I think they are going to cost me a small fortune this year with the blue and large logo 47s and a headcode-fitted 40 on their way. Then there's the Mk 2fs and the DBSO and goodness knows what else. Thank goodness for production delays, that's all I can say. I'm going to need all the time I can to save up. It's not like I don't have anything to get on with or play with already.

Once again, I came away from MRS not having bought a loco, so I think I am getting much more choosy with what I buy with the higher prices that are around these days. Gone are the days of buying a loco on impulse for me now, I think, especially in the case of sound-fitted locos. I saw quite a few I liked too (like the Model Rail Limited Edition "Grainflow" for example).

Cheers for now,

Dave

PS For some reason, all text on this thread seems to be italicised now. Not sure why!

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 10

Now, there's a challenge, Grunfos! I have a domino headcode Deltic, but I don't have a Blue disc-fitted 40 at the moment. (It's on the list). Will a split headcode 40 do?? Unfortunately, if I look in the direction of the photo on the layout, there would be no scenery, but I could do a different angle.

Go for it, lets see what you can do. I've used Modellers Mecca gangways on my 108's.

Hope your health improves.

Paul.

• Like 1