Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi Richard, and welcome to RMWeb.  You couldn't find a better layout to start you off on this site, but it is one of many, and there's layouts to suit all on here, in all eras, and at many different skill levels.

Thanks! I've been browsing for some time as a guest but the urge to ask about the Waverley roof prompted me to join!

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Stumbled across Waverley West while browsing online looking for ideas for my upcoming layout, which incorporates a semi concealed station such as yours to hide sharp curves in a similar way.

I'm anxious to know how you modeled the Waverley roof? Do you have any pictures of the construction process? Any details on materials/products used?

Your layout is superb! If my new layout looks even half as good as Waverley West, I will be proud of my achievements.

Cheers and look forward to more pictures!

Richard

Hi Richard

Many thanks for your kind comments. I had seen your question via Youtube and was going to answer, honest! Seeing as you're here now, I might as well answer it here too though.

The station roof is basically a sheet of Sundeala board cut to shape. Plywood or any other suitable material would do too; an offcut of Sundeala was just what I had to hand, although it is nice and light. The two vehicle access ramps were then cut into the board. I then made up countless kits of Dapol platform canopies and placed them together to copy the roof structure of Waverley.

Underneath the roof are the curved platforms. Each platform has a matt black-painted screen to hide the curve from view. The track layout is also carefully arranged so that by the time a loco or coach emerges from under the bridge it is already straight, minimising any sign of there being a sharp curve under the bridge. Waverley Bridge is a separate structure and both the bridge and the roof can be removed relatively easy for track cleaning and general access. 

Here are a couple of shots of the area under the roof with the roof removed...

post-7247-0-51643200-1476778397_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-93043800-1476778416_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have too many photos of the roof under construction, partly because I wasn't on RMWeb when I first started and it never occurred to me that anyone would be interested.

These are the best I can find...

post-7247-0-64318000-1476778481_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-77495600-1476778498_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-10653300-1476778508_thumb.jpg

Here's a helicopter view of the finished roof...

post-7247-0-29970000-1476778593_thumb.jpg

I'm surprised the half-station approach isn't used more to be honest. I guess it has the drawback that you can only see half a train when it's standing in the station, but the fact that it enables me to model the west end of Waverley station in an area little more than 2m x 1m is enough of an argument for me. The platforms double up as realistic storage sidings too and I can comfortably run 9-coach trains on a layout little more than 5m long without it dominating the layout or looking odd. I have tended to standardise on 7-coach expresses though, as that is sufficient for a reasonably realistic rake I think and it improves flexibility as regards platform use. The longest platform loop can take an 11-coach train and I do run 10- or 11-coach parcels and sleeper trains without any problem. 

Hope that helps, but feel free to ask any more questions you may have! 

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 11

Hi again Richard,

Just thought I'd post some pics of the roof after it's been removed. It only takes a few seconds to remove it.

This is the roof structure itself. The Sundeala board is reinforced using 45mm x 18mm wood, with a gap as a finger-hold. Holes have been drilled in the side for the wiring (lights).

post-7247-0-22073900-1476780754_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-64868200-1476780643_thumb.jpg

Here is a close-up shot of the underside of the roof resting on the backscene, showing one of the two vehicle access ramps which are cut into the board...

post-7247-0-67495000-1476780651_thumb.jpg

I have been considering putting lights under the station canopies to give a further impression of activity beneath the roof. My only concern is that it might then look odd given the intentional darkness under the roof itself.

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 9

Hi Dave

It was great to see this layout in the Model Rail Layouts vol.2, to see the track plan was great help and then I see it here to, thanks for sharing your joy of Waverley West with us all.

Jamie

• Like 2

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for taking the time to get those photos to me. It really is a masterpiece!

What did you use for the station entrance/building? Is there a kit you used, or is it scratch built?

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your interest. You're more than welcome.

The station entrance is scratchbuilt from plastikard, based on the real one. I've taken lots of photographs of it and scoured the internet for pics there too. It was a Red Star parcels depot in the 70s and 80s, but I don't have any decent photographs of it then unfortunately, As a result my model of it is rather non-descript at the moment at least, which is a shame as I'd like to detail it more. I live in hope of finding some photos of it from that period. It then became a Chinese restaurant and is now a Wetherspoons. The building is certainly being looked after though and it's looking very smart these days.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

It was great to see this layout in the Model Rail Layouts vol.2, to see the track plan was great help and then I see it here to, thanks for sharing your joy of Waverley West with us all.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, great to hear from you again.

I like your use of the word 'joy'. I think it's very fitting, as I am probably more enthusiastic about the potential for the layout now than I was 13 years ago when I started it. Although I'd like to build an exhibition layout one day, for now, Waverley West looks like being my layout of a lifetime (even if it does end up a bit like Trigger's broom, with 17 new handles and 14 new heads, or whatever it was).

I'm about to return to detailing the depot and I'm considering a major revamp of the Waverley West part of the layout, with new station walls and reballasting to match the colouring of the second half of the 80s, before I start detailing the station throat.

When I first did those walls and ballasted the layout, it was very much based on my trips to Waverley in the early 2000s and the colouring of the layout reflects that. With so much reference material available these days, I realise now that the colouring of the station walls and the ballast has varied so much over the years and was very different in the 80s. I'd like to reflect that on the layout. Reballasting that part of the layout is just a bit daunting, that's all! I'm thinking it might make it easier if I pre-weather the ballast before I lay it, rather than laying the ballast and then weathering it like I normally do. It's worked well a couple of times (on the depot for example). It's definitely one of those "deep breath" jobs though.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 3

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your interest. You're more than welcome.

The station entrance is scratchbuilt from plastikard, based on the real one. I've taken lots of photographs of it and scoured the internet for pics there too. It was a Red Star parcels depot in the 70s and 80s, but I don't have any decent photographs of it then unfortunately, As a result my model of it is rather non-descript at the moment at least, which is a shame as I'd like to detail it more. I live in hope of finding some photos of it from that period. It then became a Chinese restaurant and is now a Wetherspoons. The building is certainly being looked after though and it's looking very smart these days.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. It certainly looks the part right now! I've been to it since it became a Wetherspoons, while waiting for a connecting train to Aberdeen. My plan is to loosely follow Waverley for inspiration, but reimagined into a more fictitious location. I do want to scratch build my station entrance though, so the advice is really helpful. I also wanted to have similar roofing to the prototype, as I think this style of roof works better for the style of layout than some of the canopy style overall roofs that are commercially available. I do like scalescenes buildings though and might incorporate their large station building into my "Waverley bridge" style station entrance.

I'm working with 2 designs in mind, one being for the current space the layout will be in, and the second being for a potential larger space we might move into later. So my station scene will be a module of the overall layout that for now will just wrap around the back of the scenic part of the layout to complete a loop, but which can be "retracked" later to make it into something more.

Thanks again,

Richard

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dave, are you using a starburst filter on your camera, or is it just a natural effect of the lighting?

Either way, it's very effective, particularly the reflections on the rails in the first black-and-white shot.

More great photos, and I look forward to seeing the detailing.

Al.

Dave, are you using a starburst filter on your camera, or is it just a natural effect of the lighting?

Either way, it's very effective, particularly the reflections on the rails in the first black-and-white shot.

More great photos, and I look forward to seeing the detailing.

Al.

Thanks Al. It's just a natural effect of the lighting. Nothing fancy.

I've been looking forward to doing some detailing for a while now. The plan is to do the depot board first and then go back to the Waverley West and countryside boards to freshen those up and improve them. I haven't done much in the way of rolling stock projects recently either and there are plenty of those to do.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Marvellous  pictures as Usual.

Your Series one land-rover would have been 30 to 40 years old by 1988 so would have been seriously distressed or highly polished as a collectors Item by then.  Today a mint series one 12 inches to the foot scale and you're looking at £50,000

It's not just a farmer you need for the Land rover but a Border Collie to tell the farmer what to do. :no:

• Like 1

The local farmer has left his old Land Rover by the river bank to go and check on some sheep...

attachicon.gifLand Rover 3.jpg

attachicon.gifLand Rover 2.jpg

attachicon.gifLand Rover 1.jpg

His tractor isn't the latest model either...

attachicon.gifTractor 1.jpg

Both of these vehicles need a bit of work to make them look more work-weary.

Anyone know who makes a good, traditional-looking 4mm scale farmer? I'm in the market for one (pun intended by the way).  :jester:

As a farmer I do get annoyed when manufacturers paint tractors in the wrong colours!! :( Fordsons are BLUE not red or green. They got it right on the first model and then proceeded to release them in spurious colours. To me it is like painting a loco in pink and calling it a 65 or somesuch.........rant over. 

Brilliant layout by the way.

Marvellous  pictures as Usual.

Your Series one land-rover would have been 30 to 40 years old by 1988 so would have been seriously distressed or highly polished as a collectors Item by then.  Today a mint series one 12 inches to the foot scale and you're looking at £50,000

It's not just a farmer you need for the Land rover but a Border Collie to tell the farmer what to do. :no:

Thanks TheQ. The Land Rover is earmarked for serious distressing at some point. I knew it was a bit on the old side, although I hadn't realised it could have been up to 40 years old by the 80s. I'm not aware of a suitable Landie which would have been, say, 10 years or so old by the late 80s.

The Border Collie and the farmer are both in hand now by the way and just need painting. I quite fancy putting an old railway van in the field too, after suitable distressing of course. There's one near here which could be used as a prototype.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

As a farmer I do get annoyed when manufacturers paint tractors in the wrong colours!! :( Fordsons are BLUE not red or green. They got it right on the first model and then proceeded to release them in spurious colours. To me it is like painting a loco in pink and calling it a 65 or somesuch.........rant over. 

Brilliant layout by the way.

Thanks for the info, Benbow. The tractor is due some attention to at some point, so that's useful info.

• Like 2

Thanks TheQ. The Land Rover is earmarked for serious distressing at some point. I knew it was a bit on the old side, although I hadn't realised it could have been up to 40 years old by the 80s. I'm not aware of a suitable Landie which would have been, say, 10 years or so old by the late 80s.

The Border Collie and the farmer are both in hand now by the way and just need painting. I quite fancy putting an old railway van in the field too, after suitable distressing of course. There's one near here which could be used as a prototype.

Cheers

Dave

I owned a series 3 Landie built in 1978 during the 90s. The farmers I knew only rarely changed things at this time so to see a series 2 or 3 would have been possible, a series 1 more rare during the 80s. If it was a farm vehicle it probably wouldn't have been cosmetically looked after but would have been mechanically sound so distress away. I'm not sure when Japanese vehicles started to make inroads but growing up in Essex during the 70s and early 80s all the farmers and horse people I knew still had Landies if they had a 4X4, might have been different elsewhere. They could largely be repaired in farm workshops so were easy to maintain. My memory might not be accurate but others on here will be able to clarify I'm sure.

During the 90s I believe around 70-75% of Landies ever built were still on the road, not sure what it is today.  The scrapped ones were robbed of parts to keep the others going and there was a small industry in remanufactured parts.

Edited by mullie