Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Duly noted, Peter. And I haven't forgotten I've promised you a pic of 37043 either! It's been in "warm storage" recently.

I had forgotten about my request for 043. Thanks for reminding me. lol

47550 look very nice too nice work. I just noticed that you haven't fitted the brake gear to the bogies, there should be 4 on each each corner of the bogie the parts should be in the detail pack.  

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M

Hi Dave,

Never mind all these blue locos, get that Saltire Turbo in action!

Seriously though some nice locos taking shape there. Not surprised you ended up with a 24. They are far too early for me too but having had a go of Stevies at Glasgow the detail and sound are very impressive and I bet you'll end up having fun just playing with it.

All the best

Mark

• Like 3

Hi Dave,

Never mind all these blue locos, get that Saltire Turbo in action!

Seriously though some nice locos taking shape there. Not surprised you ended up with a 24. They are far too early for me too but having had a go of Stevies at Glasgow the detail and sound are very impressive and I bet you'll end up having fun just playing with it.

All the best

Mark

Thanks Mark. Yes, I put the blame for me buying one firmly on Stevie's 24. The sound, level of detail and extremely smooth running, even by today's standards, sealed my inevitable fate. I ran it for the first time last night and my first thought watching it run was that I had no regrets getting one.

The Saltire 170 has a semi-permanent place on my desk these days.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

I had forgotten about my request for 043. Thanks for reminding me. lol

47550 look very nice too nice work. I just noticed that you haven't fitted the brake gear to the bogies, there should be 4 on each each corner of the bogie the parts should be in the detail pack.  

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter. Because they're a bit fragile and vulnerable, I'll fit those at the end.

Edited by Waverley West

Thanks Mark. Yes, I put the blame for me buying one firmly on Stevie's 24. The sound, level of detail and extremely smooth running, even by today's standards, sealed my inevitable fate. I ran it for the first time last night and my first thought watching it run was that I had no regrets getting one.

The Saltire 170 has a semi-permanent place on my desk these days.

Cheers

Dave

Agree 47550 looks really good, tried to ignore it but did notice that 170 lurking in the background.  Your desk is probably the best place for it, whatever you do keep it well away from Waverley West especially keep it away from Plt 14! :lol:

Edited by Waverley47708

Agree 47550 looks really good, tried to ignore it but did notice that 170 lurking in the background.  Your desk is probably the best place for it, whatever you do keep it well away from Waverley West especially keep it away from Plt 14! :lol:

With the costs of models being what they are these days, I've actually fairly recently abandoned plans to run WW set in the early 2000s as well as the 80s. I've started selling some of my later stock such as a GNER 91/Mk 4 set and various First ScotRail DMUs. This will enable me to concentrate on the 80s as regards both the stock I run and the appearance of the layout generally.

For cost reasons, I also parted with my APT-E too, which was a tough decision but one that had to be made in order to fund future purchases. With sound-fitted locos now costing north of £200, running more than one era accurately was always going to be unaffordable and unjustifiable. I will be looking to replace much of my Mk 2 and 3 stock over the next few years too and that won't be cheap, so a touch of financial realism was needed.

I will always be happy for later stock to make the occasional cameo appearance, but WW is now pretty much firmly set in the late 70s through to 1994, when the trains were more interesting anyway of course :jester:.

Edited by Waverley West

With the cost of models being what they are these days, I've actually fairly recently abandoned plans to run WW set in the early 2000s as well as the 80s. I've started selling some of my later stock such as a GNER 91/Mk 4 set and various First ScotRail DMUs. This will enable me to concentrate on the 80s as regards both the stock I run and the appearance of the layout generally.

For cost reasons, I also parted with my APT-E too, which was a tough decision but one that had to be made in order to fund future purchases. With sound-fitted locos now costing north of £200, running more than one era accurately was always going to be unaffordable and unjustifiable. I will be looking to replace much of my Mk 2 and 3 stock over the next few years too and that won't be cheap, so a touch of financial realism was needed.

I will always be happy for later stock to make the occasional cameo appearance, but WW is now pretty much firmly set in the late 70s through to 1994, when the trains were more interesting anyway of course :jester:.

Here here, well said that man, thought the agree button was not quite sufficient to record my agreement with most of what you said  Think 1994 is pushing it a bit, after all the Haymarket's finest, the 477s had been sent to NSE land via Eastfield by then!

Keep up the excellent work.

• Like 1

Here here, well said that man, thought the agree button was not quite sufficient to record my agreement with most of what you said  Think 1994 is pushing it a bit, after all the Haymarket's finest, the 477s had been sent to NSE land via Eastfield by then!

Keep up the excellent work.

You're quite right Calum. I should have said up until the departure of the 47/7s. I just said 1994 to enable me to run some early 90s stock now and again.

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

Hi Dave,

Thought you might like this 47 it would be quite at home on Waverley West. I modelled it as I seem to recall seeing it at Poole as a kid and have found it was around Reading for a while. It also spent some time in the North and even worked to Barrow in 91.

I will have to bring it for a play some time.

All the best

Mark

post-6863-0-76807900-1484689075_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Hi Dave,

Thought you might like this 47 it would be quite at home on Waverley West. I modelled it as I seem to recall seeing it at Poole as a kid and have found it was around Reading for a while. It also spent some time in the North and even worked to Barrow in 91.

I will have to bring it for a play some time.

All the best

Mark

attachicon.gifIMG_4666.JPG

Very nice Mark, very nice indeed. Alongside the blue stripe version, that has to be my favourite livery on the 47s, and they look good in most liveries I think. I remember you mentioning you were going to do that one. It's certainly on my short list to do.

It would definitely be very welcome on WW!

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd like to see that one in action, Dave, if the visit comes off.

Now then, what's about trying to justify another kettle, as there's a good model of 4472 (oops, 60103) now, and there might be some excuse to run it on a railtour.

I'd like to see that one in action, Dave, if the visit comes off.

Now then, what's about trying to justify another kettle, as there's a good model of 4472 (oops, 60103) now, and there might be some excuse to run it on a railtour.

An expansion of the kettle fleet is definitely an aim, Stewart. 60009 is definitely hogging the railtour limelight at the moment.

Next on the list will probably be a Hornby K1. Being a GWR man as far as steam is concerned, I've never had all that much enthusiasm for A3s, I'm afraid, much preferring Kings, Castles, Halls, Panniers, 14xx's and so on (sorry, heresy to some I know). I was brought up in the West Country (Bristol and Cornwall), albeit after the end of steam, so that's where I get my interest in the GWR from.

Having said that, my favourite steam loco of all is 60009 of course. I'm also watching developments with Hornby's new Princess Coronation class with interest. I could very easily be tempted to add an LMS-liveried Duchess of Sutherland to WW's steam fleet. I actually have an old Hornby one from my teen years, but I've never really managed to get it to run properly. The new Hattons King might also tempt me, but GWR steam at Waverley just doesn't seem right somehow. Not sure if any GWR locos have ever visited the station, as I presume there would be gauging issues?

• RMweb Premium

Stewart. 60009 is definitely hogging the railtour limelight at the moment.

But for how much longer, if what I've heard about Union of South Africa and The Great Marquess come to pass?