Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

• RMweb Gold

Marvellous  pictures as Usual.

Your Series one land-rover would have been 30 to 40 years old by 1988 so would have been seriously distressed or highly polished as a collectors Item by then.  Today a mint series one 12 inches to the foot scale and you're looking at £50,000

It's not just a farmer you need for the Land rover but a Border Collie to tell the farmer what to do. :no:

Not necessarily. My pal has a series 2 which is now 48 years old and is driven daily, has taken him to Brugges and back in the last year, and is neither pristine nor wrecked. One of the endearing qualities of the Landy is its longevity so Dave's farmers vehicle might be slightly unusual it's by no means anachronistic or improbable

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not necessarily. My pal has a series 2 which is now 48 years old and is driven daily, has taken him to Brugges and back in the last year, and is neither pristine nor wrecked. One of the endearing qualities of the Landy is its longevity so Dave's farmers vehicle might be slightly unusual it's by no means anachronistic or improbable

True, but most farmers didn't look after their Landies well.

Even my 110 (looks like a Defender to most people ) is 32 years old, is red and white, eeerrrrr well, with an overlay of green slime, it doesn't get washed often. :nono:

Quote from, Mullie

"  The scrapped ones were robbed of parts to keep the others going and there was a small industry in remanufactured parts."

Your tenses are wrong, Were and Was should be, Are and Is. Although only crashed ones are scrapped these days, as even my 1984 Landy is going up in value.

My 110 has only got a galvanised chassis, Bulkhead and door frames, stainless exhuast and a 200TDI engine instead of a 2.5N/A but it is the same Landy,  Honest... :no:

Waverley West, in the late 1980s if the farmer had Bought a new vehicle after 1983 /4  then it would likely be the Defender style Body Shell (oxford diecast do them). For any of the others see the list below

The dates for Landy production  are and how to Identify them (roughly)

Series 1 1948  to 58 , lights in grill, doors have two panels below the glass

Series 2 1958 to 1961 lights in grill  single panel below doors.

Series 2A 1962 to 1971 lights in wings, single panel doors No Hollow in Bonnet

Series 3  1971 to 1985 cruciform plastic grill, no hollow in bonnet

Landrover 90 and 110  called the Defender from 1991, built :no: 1983 to 2016 :beee: , flat or slightly  protruding Grill, hollow in bonnet, later once Ford (2007) got hold of it, a bulge in the middle of the hollow in the bonnet.

yes,

Some of us are Model railway Nerds,

Some of us are Land Rover Nerds,

Some of us are Land Rover and Model Railway Nerds. :sungum:

Edited by TheQ

Thanks guys. If I do replace the WW farmer's Land Rover, what I would want is what would have been a 10+ year old or so Landie in the mid-80s or so. Almost all of the farmers round here seem to have short wheelbase hardtop Defenders, so I guess I was thinking of something of that ilk. Do Oxford do one of those in 1970s style? Apart from the short wheelbase soft top version I have, I've only seen the long wheelbase version in the Defender style. The Oxford BT and BR Defenders for example (both long wheelbase I think) seem to date from around 1987, which is too modern for me really.

I'd rather err on the side of old and dilapidated, rather than give the farmer a brand new Landie. That just wouldn't look right to me.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Hi again folks,

While I'm here, I just thought I'd post a quick piccie of the latest detailing addition to the depot, one of the two walkways and some of the dummy point levers. These are based on the actual walkways at Haymarket, adjusted a little for the slightly different track layout.

post-7247-0-56633300-1478166107_thumb.jpg

I've been poring over all the photos of Haymarket depot I've printed out over the years looking for details to add. Next on the detailing list are some taps from Gem Model Railways which are being painted. I've also started work on an 80's style PW gang, which involves removing those nambypamby helmets from the Bachmann figures and repainting them to reduce the amount of hiz-vis clothing, There is also an old-style fogman's hut to do. This hut was in the East Yard at Haymarket for many years.

The Bachmann hut will also go at some point too, replaced by a scratchbuilt version of the actual hut that was there. I haven't been able to find a photo of the non-track side of this hut yet though, which is frustrating, as this is the side I see when viewing the layout. I'll have to keep looking.

I've also ordered a couple of coaching stock platforms for conversion to working platforms in the main depot building. There's plenty to do!

Cheers for now,
Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

There does seem to be a shortage of Series 3 Model landrovers in 1/76, you can get an early Series 2, but that only brings the time period 3 years.  As far as I can find, your best hope to get a series 3 would be to buy the Airfix Gs Military Hardtop landrover and do the conversions to a civi spec and modernise it a bit. However that would require some work and research to get the right bits of plastic cut off or changed.

• RMweb Gold

There does seem to be a shortage of Series 3 Model landrovers in 1/76, you can get an early Series 2, but that only brings the time period 3 years.  As far as I can find, your best hope to get a series 3 would be to buy the Airfix Gs Military Hardtop landrover and do the conversions to a civi spec and modernise it a bit. However that would require some work and research to get the right bits of plastic cut off or changed.

To be fair, apart from headlight position, the difference between a Series 2 and a Series 3 in 4mm scale are miniscule. The only external differences I can think of would be the depth of the vanity panels under the doors and wings, the thickness of the bonnet panel - single sheet on a Series 2, and folded and shaped on the Series 3 (deluxe version), and the front grill and headlight surrounds. All the main body dimensions are identical.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Missed this one off...

attachicon.gifDepot 1 Letterbox.jpg

This view does show how bare the interior walls are at the moment though. 

Anyone know whether anyone does some suitable ladders and safety cages for the yard light towers?

Cheers 

Dave 

Going back to your question here Dave, about ladders, have you had a look at Model Signal Engineering (MSE)?

They will quite happily sell you etched brass signal ladders in various lengths, and also etched brass safety hoops and other signal bits, you don't have to buy a complete signal kit.

Al

Going back to your question here Dave, about ladders, have you had a look at Model Signal Engineering (MSE)?

They will quite happily sell you etched brass signal ladders in various lengths, and also etched brass safety hoops and other signal bits, you don't have to buy a complete signal kit.

Al

Sounds interesting Al. Will look into it, thanks!

Those yard towers are very nice, but every time I look at them I can't help thinking how on earth would the depot staff get up to the top if a bulb blew?!

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To be fair, apart from headlight position, the difference between a Series 2 and a Series 3 in 4mm scale are miniscule. The only external differences I can think of would be the depth of the vanity panels under the doors and wings, the thickness of the bonnet panel - single sheet on a Series 2, and folded and shaped on the Series 3 (deluxe version), and the front grill and headlight surrounds. All the main body dimensions are identical.

Al.

I'd agree with that :no: but getting a representation  of the grill right and the headlight surrounds on a die cast model could be difficult which is why suggested the Airfix Model.

Anyway I think's time to give Waverley West back his thread for more wonderful pictures and modelling :no:  :no: :no:  

• Like 1

I'd agree with that :no: but getting a representation  of the grill right and the headlight surrounds on a die cast model could be difficult which is why suggested the Airfix Model.

Anyway I think's time to give Waverley West back his thread for more wonderful pictures and modelling :no:  :no: :no:  

Thanks for the discussion, guys. Some useful info there from everyone concerned.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the discussion, guys. Some useful info there from everyone concerned.

Hi Dave, hope you don't mind, but regarding Land Rovers, the following two items were brought to my attention recently, from Oxford Diecast:

http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/land-rover/products/land-rover-land-rover-series-iii-station-wagon-limestone-76lr3s001

http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/land-rover/products/sets-5-piece-land-rover-set-76set55

Both of these are "Future" products.

Following on from what TheQ said about kit bashing the Airfix LWB and trailer kit, I decided to have a go, and here's what I ended up with:

post-17302-0-76911100-1478913436_thumb.jpg

Which when painted has ended up like this:

post-17302-0-49853900-1478913425_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 7

Hi Dave, hope you don't mind, but regarding Land Rovers, the following two items were brought to my attention recently, from Oxford Diecast:

http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/land-rover/products/land-rover-land-rover-series-iii-station-wagon-limestone-76lr3s001

http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/land-rover/products/sets-5-piece-land-rover-set-76set55

Both of these are "Future" products.

Following on from what TheQ said about kit bashing the Airfix LWB and trailer kit, I decided to have a go, and here's what I ended up with:

attachicon.gifLandy-Conversion057.jpg

Which when painted has ended up like this:

attachicon.gifLandy-Conversion083.jpg

Cheers,

Al.

Very nice, Al. Thanks for posting that, both for the heads-up about the Oxford Landie and your own very nice version. It definitely looks the part in that setting.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave. As you have no doubt seen, I now have a depot layout myself which is in need of some 80's era clutter! Have you ever found some appropriate period depot lighting/lamps on your travels? I am aware of the Express Towers, looking more for general lighting.

Hi Dave. As you have no doubt seen, I now have a depot layout myself which is in need of some 80's era clutter! Have you ever found some appropriate period depot lighting/lamps on your travels? I am aware of the Express Towers, looking more for general lighting.

Hi Lee,

Yes, I had seen that. Am looking forward to seeing you develop that and bring it into the 80s. You've already got some nice stock to put on it.

As regards lighting, the general yard lights I use for the depot come from Railroom Electronics:

http://www.railroomelectronics.co.uk/Station-Street-Yard-Lamps/Oo-Gauge/Page1.aspx

I use their own lamps (mainly YL15): 

http://www.railroomelectronics.co.uk/Station-Street-Yard-Lamps/Oo-Gauge/Railroom/Yard-Lamps/Page1.aspx

but they do others as well.

Hope that helps! I have replied to you elsewhere as well, but I thought I'd put this here too.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Very nice photos and more appropriate given the cold dark nights now.

Where did those water taps come from they look really good?

I discovered Railroom electronics at Showcase last year and found them to be a very helpful and useful supplier that I will use again.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Dave

Just having a catch up as I've been rather busy of late. I have to say those pictures of the depot are simply astounding. You have to look twice to see that it's actually a model. Absolutely superb. You can almost smell the diesel fumes from here.

Another photographic master piece.

Cheers

Marcus

Good excuse to have a 56 hanging around!

Like that it is 56125 towing a 125, always raised a smile the signal on Plt 14 used by the 477s was numbered 477.

Hi Dave,

Found these yesterday whilst on Flickr and thought that they might be of interest;

8299776885_1ef40f8e14_z.jpg56125_hauling_hst_1st_to_edinburgh_maybe__WEB by alistair.p37025, on Flickr

9026009906_ac1a0a229f_z.jpg56125 edinburgh wav by alistair.p37025, on Flickr

• Like 2