Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

• RMweb Premium

I don't think anyone could tell the difference between model vs the real thing in this photo, Absolutely fantastic, both modelling and photography.

I agree, but there is the small matter of 2.23 mm :jester: (ducks and runs for cover)

i remeber reading about this layout a few years ago in model rail, i can see my nights being spent catching up on this stunning layout. its an amzingly detailed layout and easily tricks you to thinking it real  

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dave, can you get at the voids underneath those spots where the point motors were? If you can, surely if you glue back a piece of baseboard material to fill the hole, it will behave the same acoustically as the rest of the board?

Dave, can you get at the voids underneath those spots where the point motors were? If you can, surely if you glue back a piece of baseboard material to fill the hole, it will behave the same acoustically as the rest of the board?

Possible but tricky, Colin, I think. I'd probably have to remove the point motors first. Seeing as I've cut the rod between the motor and the point to length, re-installing the motor would not be that easy. It's definitely a possibility though. It's just strange that I'd not noticed any difference with my Bachmann 37s which I fitted with a fuel tank speaker though. The speaker on these locos is behind the fuel tank floor which has holes drilled in it.

Edited by Waverley West

Hi Dave,

Nice to see the class 27 out on a run the coaches look great.

Sorry to hear about your class 47 derailment problem. My 47418 was coming off on my 3 way point in the fiddleyard. It was the only loco doing it so thought it was more than likely to be loco rather than track. I took the bogie frames off and check the back to backs which were fine, what I did notice was the bogie was rocking on the centre wheel set which is something more common on class 37s. I removed the wheel set and filed a deeper slot so the wheels set level with the others, the loco runs fine now.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Dave,

Nice to see the class 27 out on a run the coaches look great.

Sorry to hear about your class 47 derailment problem. My 47418 was coming off on my 3 way point in the fiddleyard. It was the only loco doing it so thought it was more than likely to be loco rather than track. I took the bogie frames off and check the back to backs which were fine, what I did notice was the bogie was rocking on the centre wheel set which is something more common on class 37s. I removed the wheel set and filed a deeper slot so the wheels set level with the others, the loco runs fine now.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that. That sounds like a very sensible and permanent solution. I did notice the rocking of the bogie over uneven track and although I've managed to eliminate most of the problem by making sure the track was better aligned vertically, I think it's a bit of a design weakness that is always likely to cause derailments. The free-floating centre axles on the Heljan Co-Co bogies very rarely cause problems by comparison I find.

Thanks again,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

Possible but tricky, Colin, I think. I'd probably have to remove the point motors first. Seeing as I've cut the rod between the motor and the point to length, re-installing the motor would not be that easy. It's definitely a possibility though. It's just strange that I'd not noticed any difference with my Bachmann 37s which I fitted with a fuel tank speaker though. The speaker on these locos is behind the fuel tank floor which has holes drilled in it.

You could just polyfilla the hole with the point motor in place as the void is what is causing the change. Screwed up newspaper filled in the hole with gaffer tape holding it in may work.

Let us know what works. Loving the corridor connections? Who makes them?

Jeff

You could just polyfilla the hole with the point motor in place as the void is what is causing the change. Screwed up newspaper filled in the hole with gaffer tape holding it in may work.

Let us know what works. Loving the corridor connections? Who makes them?

Jeff

Thanks for the suggestions, Jeff. Will let you know what works.

The corridor connections are by York Modelmaking. They're very simple to make up and make a huge difference to the overall look of a train, I think. The only problem is deciding whether to use two connections and/or remove the old moulded connections, which is not so easy on the Bachmann Mk 1s, but very easy on their DMUs. I've found that the rubbing plates can cause derailments if they push against each other too much, so a little experimentation is needed sometimes. Having said that, my Bachmann 101s and 108s all worked first time after removing the original Bachmann connections and fitting two York Modelmaking ones. The Mk 1s were a bit trickier and I had to revert to the original tension lock couplings to stop the derailments. The gap between the coaches with these couplings is a bit bigger but this is more than made up for by the corridor connections in my view anyway (not to mention the lack of derailments!).

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestions, Jeff. Will let you know what works.

The corridor connections are by York Modelmaking. They're very simple to make up and make a huge difference to the overall look of a train, I think. The only problem is deciding whether to use two connections and/or remove the old moulded connections, which is not so easy on the Bachmann Mk 1s, but very easy on their DMUs. I've found that the rubbing plates can cause derailments if they push against each other too much, so a little experimentation is needed sometimes. Having said that, my Bachmann 101s and 108s all worked first time after removing the original Bachmann connections and fitting two York Modelmaking ones. The Mk 1s were a bit trickier and I had to revert to the original tension lock couplings to stop the derailments. The gap between the coaches with these couplings is a bit bigger but this is more than made up for by the corridor connections in my view anyway (not to mention the lack of derailments!).

Cheers

Dave

Dave, is it possible to fit just one bellows instead of two, which might let you close the gap a bit? Your coaches would become "handed" in this case of course.

Dave, is it possible to fit just one bellows instead of two, which might let you close the gap a bit? Your coaches would become "handed" in this case of course.

I did try that, but I found that there tended to be a gap between the coaches when they were being pulled, especially round curves when the couplings open up, which rather spoiled the effect. I also tried just using one with the close couplings but derailments became a problem again then.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that. That sounds like a very sensible and permanent solution. I did notice the rocking of the bogie over uneven track and although I've managed to eliminate most of the problem by making sure the track was better aligned vertically, I think it's a bit of a design weakness that is always likely to cause derailments. The free-floating centre axles on the Heljan Co-Co bogies very rarely cause problems by comparison I find.

Thanks again,

Dave

No worries Dave,

I am sure you code 75 will be more fussy than my code 100. 

Something I have noticed on Llanbourne are some points once pinned down still have a high spot in the middle so need an extra track pin to try and hold things down a bit better.

Cheers Peter. 

• RMweb Gold

I did try that, but I found that there tended to be a gap between the coaches when they were being pulled, especially round curves when the couplings open up, which rather spoiled the effect. I also tried just using one with the close couplings but derailments became a problem again then.

Have you looked at / tried these :  http://www.keen-systems.com/Couplings.html  (usual disclaimers)

My father uses them with no problems.

Edited by Stubby47

Have you looked at / tried these :  http://www.keen-systems.com/Couplings.html  (usual disclaimers)

My father uses them with no problems.

Thanks for that, Stubby. I have actually bought some for my rake of Airfix Mk 2ds (ages ago). The problem is that by the time I get round to fitting them, Bachmann may well have finally released their Mk 2es, and yes, I know that may be a while away yet too!

Might look into them for my Bachmann Mk 1 rakes though, as I'm planning on keeping those and continually improving them (with lighting eventually hopefully).

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that, Stubby. I have actually bought some for my rake of Airfix Mk 2ds (ages ago). The problem is that by the time I get round to fitting them, Bachmann may well have finally released their Mk 2es, and yes, I know that may be a while away yet too!

Might look into them for my Bachmann Mk 1 rakes though, as I'm planning on keeping those and continually improving them (with lighting eventually hopefully).

Cheers

Dave

How about Kadee's between coaches, you can mount them to couple quite close and there's little slack when pushing/pulling.

Your layout is fantastic by the way and some of the best model photo's I've seen, in fact it's sometimes hard to tell it is a model.

Regards,

Tom