Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

Firstly, a very Happy New Year to everyone. I hope Santa brought you all the trains you were wishing for.

I thought I'd open 2017 with some piccies taken this evening while sneaking round the depot. I was close to being spotted at one point, but I think I got away with it.

Well, I think that's all for the moment. There are various workbench projects on the go at the moment, plus various other projects on the layout itself, but more on those later.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Dave,

Any chance I could come stay for a few weeks, the real railway scene round you way is far more interesting than anywhere else I've found ... 37s, 47s, 56s, 58s, they've all long vanished round us!

Anyway enough of the real thing, when are you going to post some pictures of that model of yours?

Rich

PS I think you've really worked out how to build a time machine and your tricking us with this, it's simply too good! Don't drive a Delorian do you?

• Like 3

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118706-british-model-railway-awards-2016/page-0

Congrats on the nomination for Layout of the year Dave.

Hope all you chaps have voted.........

Cheers Colin, I wasn't aware I'd even been nominated. I can't see the layout nominations anywhere though?

By the way, judging from your avatar, your looks are definitely improving with age.  :jester:

Dave

Hi Dave,

Superb photos, like the 37's lined up like that. There are several shots amongst those that really appeal and bring life to the scene.

I've just added my vote for you too.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks Mark. Believe it or not, the 37s just happened to be parked like that; it wasn't a deliberate photo line-up.

Thanks everyone for your support, much appreciated as always!

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Firstly, a very Happy New Year to everyone. I hope Santa brought you all the trains you were wishing for.

I thought I'd open 2017 with some piccies taken this evening while sneaking round the depot. I was close to being spotted at one point, but I think I got away with it.

attachicon.gif27 and 37 3.jpg

Up close and personal with 27052...

attachicon.gif27 1.jpg

A hybrid 108/105 unit over in the East Yard...

attachicon.gif105 - 108 2.jpg

There was a very un-Haymarket-like collection elsewhere in the East Yard, including a 56, an 03 and a 58 with a test car. Must be Christmas.

attachicon.gif56 and 58.jpg

Peering through the rather grubby window on road 8, I managed to see 37012 Loch Rannoch...

attachicon.gifLoch Rannoch.jpg

attachicon.gifLoch Rannoch 2.jpg

There was also an unusual visitor in the shape of 45144 in the main shed, alongside the usual Scottish 47s...

attachicon.gifMain shed 1.jpg

An aerial view of the main shed showing the new roof vents...

attachicon.gifMain shed 2.jpg

Now for some shots showing the new inspection platforms and interior wall detail...

attachicon.gifMain shed 3g.jpg

attachicon.gifMain shed 5.jpg

37698 was also receiving attention...

attachicon.gifRailfreight 37 2.jpg

attachicon.gifStaff 1.jpg

attachicon.gifMain shed 7.jpg

A PW gang has moved in opposite the depot to start work on the line. Dressed in 1980s-style minimal hi-viz tops of course...

attachicon.gifStaff 2.jpg

Back at Waverley later that evening, the platforms were full...

attachicon.gifWaverley West Closeup.jpg

attachicon.gifWaverley West.jpg

Well, I think that's all for the moment. There are various workbench projects on the go at the moment, plus various other projects on the layout itself, but more on those later.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Sorry just how exactly did you take the photo of "An aerial view of the main shed showing the new roof vents..."?

Hi Dave,

More great pics and the coaches looks good but lets have a pic of the Railfreight class 26 hauling the train what a beast.

Cheers Peter.

Duly noted, Peter. And I haven't forgotten I've promised you a pic of 37043 either! It's been in "warm storage" recently.

Edited by Waverley West

Just when you thought that your depot scene could not get any better, stunning modelling Dave. The latest depot shots are some of the best that I have seen, love the Brush 4s in the shed with the inspection platforms. Your platforms really bring a different dimension to your excellent shed. There is something about 47/7s and Scottish Large Logo 47s.....

Loving the Original Railfreight 26, they looked great in that livery, it really suited them.

• RMweb Premium

Dave - I have yet to complete the voting in the poll, as I can't decide on my choice for layout of the year, as it's between WW and Gilbert's Peterborough North.  Both are icons of realism and attention to detail, so I still need to ponder.

Just when you thought that your depot scene could not get any better, stunning modelling Dave. The latest depot shots are some of the best that I have seen, love the Brush 4s in the shed with the inspection platforms. Your platforms really bring a different dimension to your excellent shed. There is something about 47/7s and Scottish Large Logo 47s.....

Loving the Original Railfreight 26, they looked great in that livery, it really suited them.

Cheers Alex. I'm pleased with the inspection platforms. Lots more detailing to do inside the main shed, but I'm going to move on to the shed on road 8 next. There's plenty to do there too. My aim is to keep improving each part of the layout, so that it's all to roughly the same standard at any one time.

And yes, Scottish 47/7s and 47/4s, 26s, 27s, not to mention named 37s, can't beat 'em in my view. So full of character and a little bit different from the rest of the network.

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

Dave - I have yet to complete the voting in the poll, as I can't decide on my choice for layout of the year, as it's between WW and Gilbert's Peterborough North.  Both are icons of realism and attention to detail, so I still need to ponder.

No worries, Stewart. I understand. It's just nice to have been nominated. There are some great layouts in the list and I can't compete with some of them in terms of resources (I'm thinking especially of Liverpool Lime Street, a stunning piece of modelling if ever there was one. I wish my dad was still around to watch it develop; he knew the station so well during the era it's set in).

• Like 1