New & Improved Class 33

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Graham108 said:

So in this instance 'headcode panel' & 'tail lights' are the same thing? Does anybody know if using DCC enables setting the lights to red?

As I said, they physically don't have any red lights fitted for DCC to do anything with.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/01/2022 at 08:24, Kaput said:

Unless they changed it in the last batch none of Heljan's 33's actually have red lights fitted.

I am about to experiment with wiring a bicoloured red/white LED into each end of a 33/1 I use for push-pull work with Kernow's 4TC units. I bought some common cathode versions for this purpose, and also some suitable resistors, so it is a matter of working out the connections and keeping it all from shorting out on the metal chassis block. For best effect, I will probably have to change the blinds to double white blanks.

I'll post the results in my layout topic when I get around to doing this. If it is successful, I'll repeat the procedure on all of the 33/1s I own, but I can't see any point in doing it to the 33/0 or 33/2 variants as they usually have trains behind their trailing cabs.

• RMweb Gold
On 01/02/2022 at 11:33, SRman said:

I am about to experiment with wiring a bicoloured red/white LED into each end of a 33/1 I use for push-pull work with Kernow's 4TC units. I bought some common cathode versions for this purpose, and also some suitable resistors, so it is a matter of working out the connections and keeping it all from shorting out on the metal chassis block. For best effect, I will probably have to change the blinds to double white blanks.

I'll post the results in my layout topic when I get around to doing this. If it is successful, I'll repeat the procedure on all of the 33/1s I own, but I can't see any point in doing it to the 33/0 or 33/2 variants as they usually have trains behind their trailing cabs.

I have done it on 2 or 3 of my 33s - works very well, including double white blank blinds.

Edit - I wired all the way to the back of the LED and then coated the whole of the rear in silicon gel - then slots into the original hole where the candescent bulb was. Never had any shorts.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I have done it on 2 or 3 of my 33s - works very well, including double white blank blinds.

Edit - I wired all the way to the back of the LED and then coated the whole of the rear in silicon gel - then slots into the original hole where the candescent bulb was. Never had any shorts.

Roy

The silicon gel is a great idea. I never thought of that. :drinks:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 21/03/2014 at 17:32, BR(S) said:

I seem to remember this was debated a few years ago and in relation to Class 26s and 27s as well.  As you say, the marker lights were just marker lights and weren't used that often anyway.  The "tail light" was just a red blind:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7011/6448973117_74c1ab7967_z.jpg

Stopped In Its Tracks - 33 017 by Sir Hectimere, on Flickr

No marker lights in use:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6521993841_5e81cfd515_z.jpg

The Woking Stop - 33 004 by Sir Hectimere, on Flickr

And while we're talking about 33s, here's an interesting picture of a blue one in 1967: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fungus-mcbogle/6635761771/

Refering to the top picture with the red blinds, i purchased a s/h model some time ago

all over green where some one had fitted these at one end,  not good when running in reverse

yet the photo shows the red blinds with the loco facing forward unless this is a top and tail.

2 hours ago, paul 27 said:

Refering to the top picture with the red blinds, i purchased a s/h model some time ago

all over green where some one had fitted these at one end,  not good when running in reverse

yet the photo shows the red blinds with the loco facing forward unless this is a top and tail.

As the next movement will back the way it came, I expect the driver has changed the blind before changing ends.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Could someone advise if these 33's come with etched plates please? Just got 33114 and no plates, want to check if they are missing or not supplied. Can't see any reference to etched plates on the website product descriptions.

Ta.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Could someone advise if these 33's come with etched plates please? Just got 33114 and no plates, want to check if they are missing or not supplied. Can't see any reference to etched plates on the website product descriptions.

Ta.

I’m not used to seeing etched plates with Heljan locos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1