Hornby Horseboxes

Ed-farms

• RMweb Premium

Were there any rules as to where these were placed in a train? I presume that prize horses wouldn't want to be jostled too much and therefore the van would be closer to the loco on a loose coupled freight?

Were there any rules as to where these were placed in a train? I presume that prize horses wouldn't want to be jostled too much and therefore the van would be closer to the loco on a loose coupled freight?

Developing thread here Chris - no answers yet, but you might want to watch it. Horseboxes are not something I know much about; from perusal of period pics I dont recall noticing many running in freight formations but if they did, what you suggest makes sense.

• Like 1

Guest dilbert

Perhaps somebody would be kind enough to summarise (agian...) the diagrams of the Lima, Hornby and Parkside models, their number series and key differences between them?

The principal differences between dias. N13 & N16 :

• N16 had a gas lamp ventilator positioned on the roof over the groom's compartment - not present on N13
  • N13 had a ventilator at the top of the groom's door - not present on N16
  • N13 had tumblehomes, N16 does not
  • differences in the positioning of the lamp irons

Both LIma and Hornby models are of N16 - the body on the Lima is OK, but the roof and chassis are frankly a mess. I shall be receiving the Hornby model shorty, but this is a far superior offering than the Lima version. Both manufacturers have depicted N° 546 and the second Hornby model is that of 709.

Parkside do the N13 in both 4mm and 7mm - the 7mm model comes with transfers that includes stock N°s for 300, 337 & 420.

...dilbert

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Developing thread here Chris - no answers yet, but you might want to watch it. Horseboxes are not something I know much about; from perusal of period pics I dont recall noticing many running in freight formations but if they did, what you suggest makes sense.

Thanks Ian, will watch with interest.

Everyone knows that things were often a bit different on the Somerset and Dorset :rolleyes: In the late 1950s, several N16s were rebranded as calf boxes, bearing the legends CALF BOX and RETURN TO BINEGAR. The boxes were attached to a Templecombe-Bath train at Binegar for the first part of a journey which would see Friesian calves transported from Somerset to Scotland where they were in demand.

Nick

source: Somerset & Dorset Files, no 5, p28.

• RMweb Premium

Normally they travel in passenger train formations but as they were vacuum brake fitted one would assume they should be in the portion of the train with brakes i.e. next to the loco, if they were ever used in freight only trains.

The other post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42986-horse-boxes/page__pid__463525#entry463525 is my question about this type of use!

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Gents,so I've read this thread through 3 times and I'm understanding now that the consensus seems to be it is an excellent model based on diagram N16, they were usually run in passenger trains and that the ends of the GWR brown versions should be black...is that correct???

Cheers

Gene

• 3 weeks later...

Normally they travel in passenger train formations but as they were vacuum brake fitted one would assume they should be in the portion of the train with brakes i.e. next to the loco, if they were ever used in freight only trains.

The other post http://www.rmweb.co....525#entry463525 is my question about this type of use!

Keith

It's hardly a definitive answer as it's only based on one photo, but on the only photo I have which shows a definitely loaded horse box in a pick up goods train, it's marshalled immediately behind the loco.

Edited by stuartp

I have recently bought two of the maroon ones and last week accuired one of the old Lima ones from a well known online auction site.

Whilst the Hornby model is streets ahead of the Lima one I think the slightly open window to the grooms compartment on the Lima model is a nice little feature that maybe Hornby should have used.

Nice B&W picture (no.46) of a horsebox in 'The Llangollen Line - Ruabon to Barmouth' by W.G.Rear and N.Jones taken on 10/9/1956 showing 7801 'Anthony Manor' arriving at Llangollen with the 10.20am Barmouth - Birkenhead (1M07) passenger service. The horsebox is sandwiched between the loco and the first carriage.

The arrival of the 2 Hornby GWR versions prompted me to dig out my unfinished Parkside N13 and do some work on it. Adding the steps and bending the curved grab irons for the end is a bit of a chore but it is getting there. The new Hornby is excellent. Bought both numbers just because I like horeboxes. My only justification for them running to Padstow is to carry ceremonial remounts for the nearby military posts.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely not Darren! It is an exquisite model with underframe detail (brakes, vac cylinder, vac pipe and rodding) all present. I'm not going to get into whether it is correct in absolutely every detail but it hits the ball out of the park for me.

John

Guest dilbert

Its not but why would that have mattered if the underlying bodyshell was accurate?

For a Lima model the bodyshell is excellent - one nice touch was portraying one of the groom's door compartment windows in a partially open position.

The underframe wouldn't look out of place in a Hammer horror film - 12mm pizza-cutter whls, out of line brakes etc...

As for the roof - period protoype horses must have been smelly which explains why there are twelve (!!!) ventilators.

...dilbert

Edited by dilbert

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A quick question re liverys, Would the shirt button (in the correct position) or the G W as per the 2012 release be more suitable for running in the late 40s?

I have just removed the original logos from my model, planning to move it as per the photo of 546 in Russel, however before adding the new transfers (I found a sheet of HMRS transfers purchased in the mid 90s that have both versions)

Still need to respray the ends and add new break shoes to replace the bits lost when I converted it to P4. Half tempted to change the number as well (certainly will do if the branding needs to change) though if it needs to keep the shirt button I will stick with 546 given thats the only photo I have found.

• RMweb Gold

A quick question re liverys, Would the shirt button (in the correct position) or the G W as per the 2012 release be more suitable for running in the late 40s?

I have just removed the original logos from my model, planning to move it as per the photo of 546 in Russel, however before adding the new transfers (I found a sheet of HMRS transfers purchased in the mid 90s that have both versions)

Still need to respray the ends and add new break shoes to replace the bits lost when I converted it to P4. Half tempted to change the number as well (certainly will do if the branding needs to change) though if it needs to keep the shirt button I will stick with 546 given thats the only photo I have found.

Great question Rich.I would say the shirtbutton livery for late 40s and thats what I've kept on mine.I will too renumber another if Hornby don't release another different number version again.

A quick question re liverys, Would the shirt button (in the correct position) or the G W as per the 2012 release be more suitable for running in the late 40s?...

Yes, I agree with Robin that the shirtbutton would be appropriate. It is possible that examples of earlier diagrams might still retain the 1920-34 16" GW letters into your period, but 546 and the rest of lot 1577 were built in 1937, three years after the introduction of the roundel so would never have carried the GW letters. Hornby's proposed R6562 carries a correct number for an N16, but the livery is just wrong.

Remember the three vertical hinge straps for the fold-down ramp should also be black according to the Russell photo, though whether you could tell by the late forties is open to question.

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hornby's proposed R6562 carries a correct number for an N16, but the livery is just wrong.

Nick

Following Dapols example of releasing a wrong livery with a large lettered GW on their fruit D.