Scottish Region photos 1980's

Hi Peter,

Your guess is spot on. For a short time the Edinburgh to Kirkcaldy service changed from class 101 to loco hauled (at about the same time as the longer Edinburgh to Dundee service mostly changed from loco to dmu???!!!). The shot shows a Dundee to Ed dmu leaving as the 26 arrives - you can hear the announcer (in broad Fife) stating that the train terminates. The train then ran forward into the down loop where the 27 was coupled on. On my 27 video you can see the 27 running back over the crossover to form an up service.

That period from 81 to 87ish when a fair chunk of the local trains in Fife were loco hauled were great days - I'm just sorry that I didnt have the video earlier to catch some more of the variety.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for that, I do remember seeing the video with class 27 arriving now, I think the 26 is running up behind the train in that clip. I just thought the 26 was arriving from somewhere light engine.

I was never lucky enough to get a class 26 on a service train though I am happy I got a few class 27s on the Dundee trains just wish I had done it more often i may have had a class 26. as it looks like they were used a bit when they were short of class 27s.

Cheers Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

My photos are not of the same standard as others on here - but at least they are

• Old
  • Scottish
  • With Blue diesels

So maybe not all bad then.

At least these photos will get the thread another wee bump to the front pages.

First up is 25 079 on 13.04.82

For some reason with these photos...... I recorded the train details. Would have sworn blind I

never did that.......oh well - hope I got them right.

I have this as 25 079 on the 14.44 Queen Street to Dundee

Photo shows Bishopbriggs High School (demolished 4 months back) in the background.

How great was it having the Glasgow to Edinburgh main line running past a high school - great planning.

post-6993-044416000 1291665558_thumb.jpg

20.07.82 now and along the line at Sighthill junction with Eastfield behind the train.

The line diverging to the left is the very start of the West Highland line heading first to

Maryhill and Sumerston - then to nicer parts of West Scotland.

This also formed the Sighthill triangle where trains could reverse when required and head to Edinburgh.

Photo shows 47 040 about 3 minutes away from Queen Street with what is probably an Ex Aberdeen Service.

All down hill to Queen Street from here.

post-6993-070413600 1291666252_thumb.jpg

Last for now.........

47 711 shoves it's passengers towards Glasgow.

This is seen passing under Westercleddens Road bridge between Cadder Yard and Bishopbriggs Station

About to pass Bishopbriggs High School.

This spot is now famous because - I designed the new Woodhill Evangelical Church - which can be seen from passing trains

heading to Edinburgh just to the left of this photo ( albeit 28 years after this was taken) . Well maybe when I am dead it will be famous.

This is 47 711 on 13.04.82 with the 15.30 Service from Edinburgh to Glasgow.

post-6993-009097600 1291666651_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Stuart

• Like 1

• Old
  • Scottish
  • With Blue diesels

So maybe not all bad then.

At least these photos will get the thread another wee bump to the front pages.

Cheers

Stuart

Stuart,

Perfect qualifications and very evocative which is surely all that matters.

Judging by the stock, 47 040 may also be in charge of an Inverness service (the 12:30 arrived at GQS at c 16:30) or if the rake is short (I can't tell from the pic) a Dundee service.

Great pic of LDS - I was lucky enough to cab this loco from Carstairs to Waverley one winter night in 1981. Fantastic times.

Cheers,

Bruce

Thanks Bruce,

Heard you introduce yourself to Simon(?) on the Airthrey Park layout at the Falkirk show the other Saturday.

Didn't want to intrude on your chat - and didn't think either of you would know "Brush47337" - so I didn't say "hello".

We could probably have mustered a bigger 1pm meet at Falkirk than is achieved each year at Warley ............- just from people on this thread.....!

Perhaps we should attempt a group "RMweb pint" at Model Rail. That might be the Warley problem. - Much easier to pick a "tap" at a given bar at a certain time - and if nobody shows up after the first 4 hours then.......- no harm done and - nothing wasted.smile.gifsmile.gif

Stuart

"A Group RMweb pint" - now that has a certain ring to it. :) :)

You should have introduced yourself Stuart - I would certainly have recognised 'Brush47337'. As an aside, why 47 337? - the 47/3's were not particularily common around ScR.

Bruce

Hi Bruce

(sorry to other readers - but "most" of you are friendly enough to ignore this chit chat and not clipe* us to the Mods.)

47 337 was the only Class 47 that managed to hide from me. Maybe some day I will go find it as 57 602 - but it will not feel the same.

I had quite a string of "singles" when I finally hung up my Snorkel Jacket, Rucanor bag and brown cords

45 059

20 009

40 090

Oh well - long time ago now.

* Clipe

to tell or snitch on someone

Stuart

Virtually nothing running up here today though a nigh on 50 year old design showed how its done over the weekend. Some suggestions for Scotrail for future design pointers so that we can restore the old 'at least the trains are running' maxim.

Firstly, 253024 leans into the curve at Ladybank with the 10.30 Aberdeen to Kings Cross Jan 1984.

post-3695-079121300 1291675841_thumb.jpg

The leading PC has some form of headboard on it but I cant make it out from the original - over to you...

These guys are also still around, too

47 462 passes Blackford in charge of the 11.00 Inverness to Euston (Up Clansman) Dec86

post-3695-047799700 1291675864_thumb.jpg

47 416 passes Markinch with the late running 22.50 Kings Cross to Aberdeen 'The Nightrider'. Jan 84

post-3695-036966600 1291675916_thumb.jpg

Note the windswept staff member on the LHS clearing the platform - thats what I call dedication.

Finally, also at Markinch

27 054 arriving with 11.20 (Suns) Edinburgh to Dundee service. Jan 1986

post-3695-011237900 1291675938_thumb.jpg

Just a thought, but maybe the stock employed should be suitable for all the prevailing enviromental conditions?

Bruce

PS cliping - usually punishable by a scud roond the lug :blink:

• Like 4

Fans of this forum will enjoy this fotopic site, flagged up on the Scot-rail group today. Les Tindall's Fotopic site.

Cracker of a Sulzerfest at Queen Street, 24,26 & 27 present.

Jim

A veritable feast of stuff on there.

Thanks for posting the link, and thanks also to Les if he ever frequents RMweb.

The "clockwork orange" as it is now known is fascinating and i've always wondered what the circular shiny disc type thing was for on the end of some cars. Any ideas ?

The spare Mk1 SK hidden away in the station building at Wick - wonder if the rolling stock controller was "missing it" !!

Noticed 37053 at Newcastle was missing it's steam heating bag from the buffer beam. Following various threads about boilers out of 37s - this was obviously a very early removal

Great stuff

• RMweb Premium

post-3695-036966600%201291675916_thumb.jpg

love this photie for the blue enamel station signage still present - not just 'waiting room', but 'ladies' waiting room' too!

i suspect that, even in 1984, there were still a lot of the old 'BRITISH RAILWAYS'-era signs around the network?

as regards the mannie clearing the platform, i think you have discovered a practical use for any model station figures who have accidentally lost their feet through too much/strong glue usage!

cracking pics, as usual

• Like 2

Some 47 variety

Bog standard corporate blue

post-3695-052460900 1292539422_thumb.jpg

47 520 accelerates away from Haymarket with the 14.55 Edinburgh to Aberdeen express. Feb 1981

post-3695-003853100 1292539565_thumb.jpg

47458 storms past the closed box at Lochmuir with the 14.05 Birmingham NS to Aberdeen. July 1980

Is it just me or does the buffer beam red look like slapped on lipstick? Just me then....

Half way house

post-3695-016911000 1292539509_thumb.jpg

47 604 passes Kennethmont box with the 10.25 Inverness to Aberdeen. June 1986

Plateless Scotrail

post-3695-037655700 1292539799_thumb.jpg

Prior to naming and looking well fit, 47 714 is given a hurl on an Aberdeen service. March 1985

Sassenach in green

post-3695-034877100 1292539702_thumb.jpg

47 484 passes Carmont with a up service

Bruce

• Like 5

post-3695-003853100 1292539565_thumb.jpg

47458 storms past the closed box at Lochmuir with the 14.05 Birmingham NS to Aberdeen. July 1980

Is it just me or does the buffer beam red look like slapped on lipstick? Just me then....

Was that in the day when silver roof generally meant a SF loco?

Other than some of the 47/7s which had it when in large logo livery I always associated silver roofs with Stratford.

I remember in the mid 80s on the ECML just outside Edinburgh we always used to wait for a nightly freightliner service, possibly originating at Craigentinny, which occasionally turned up a silver roofed effort which I seem to recall always were SF locos, often accompanied by the sparrow shed logo.

Was that in the day when silver roof generally meant a SF loco?

According to class47.co.uk it was an Immingham loco at this time but had been allocated to Stratford some 2 years previously so the silver roof may well have been a legacy from it's SF days.

#####

"Fantastic great to see rail blue west coast shots very good was part of the film shot on the line to Stranrier ?"

Not sure if this was aimed at me lmsforever, but if it was and was referring to my West Scotland vid then there were scenes at Ayr and Gatehead - the class 47 was Stranraer bound AFAIR. Unfortunately, never made the opportunity to explore more of this line.

#####

Next, a pic which will both keep Phil happy with the coaching stock variety and hopefully answer a long time question which I have had - what exactly was this working?????

The loco is a UID named 47 - number is 47 4xx - but the coaching stock is an eclectic mix.

post-3695-077694900 1292682675_thumb.jpg

The location is just north of Markinch on the Edinburgh to Dundee line - the train is working south - and the date is 17th June 1983.

Finally, a random image - and why not..

post-3695-062064300 1292683249_thumb.jpg

27 023 arrives at Dundee TB with the 09.17 service from Edinburgh. August 1982.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Bruce

• Like 1

Next, a pic which will both keep Phil happy with the coaching stock variety and hopefully answer a long time question which I have had - what exactly was this working?????

The loco is a UID named 47 - number is 47 4xx - but the coaching stock is an eclectic mix.

Bruce

At first I thought it was the Royal Scotsman but now I know it's not.

The leading coach is LMS saloon 45018 (rebuilt as an observation car in about 1960), the next coach is LMS saloon (later Royal Saloon) 45005, then a Mk1 BSK (possibly 34612 which was at Carnforth), a Mk2a FK (probably one converted to vacuum brakes in the mid 1970s), then an LNER Buffet. As the first two coaches were based at Carnforth the LNER Buffet may well be 24287 which was also based there. 45018 was owned by RESCO the other two were owned by Steamtown Railway Museum.

Probably a private charter train of some sort and possibly for McAlpine (the BSK and 45005 can be seen behind Flying Scotsman in this photo).

Hi Bruce,

Never mind the Class 47 variety....

Look at the coach variety in this shot!

Thanks

This is a very interesting train! What was the working? And how often did the GW150 47's work into Scotland during 1985/6?

• RMweb Gold

post-3695-077694900 1292682675_thumb.jpg

The location is just north of Markinch on the Edinburgh to Dundee line - the train is working south - and the date is 17th June 1983.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

This was one of the 'Queen of Scots' workings.

Wiki article here:-

http://en.wikipedia....passenger_train

Info here:-

http://www.queenofscots.co.uk/

A day on:-

http://stephen9466.fotopic.net/c1387215.html

Apart from the coaches mentioned in this article th train was strengthened as and when required.

I have nothing in the diary for the date of the photo - although that is no suprise as this was a 'tourist train' and not aimed at the British enthusiast

I do have the SRPS railtour to Kyle for the following day though!

Thanks

Edited by Scottish Modeller

This is a very interesting train! What was the working? And how often did the GW150 47's work into Scotland during 1985/6?

The train looks like a scratch Craigentinny version of a usual Edinburgh/Glasgow - Inverness consist. A Mk2c TSO leading followed by Mk2c TSOT, Mk2c BFK, Mk2a TSO and a Mk2d TSO. The normal consist would have had Mk2a TSO, Mk2c TSOT, Mk2c CK and two Mk2a TSO. Craigentinny had an allocation of Mk2a and Mk2c stock for the Edinburgh/Glasgow to Plymouth sleeper.

Rail Enthusiast and the Railway Observer mention the odd GW150 47 in Scotland which could have worked up via Carlisle and then been "robbed" for a few weeks. Certainly 47582 (in NSE) and 47522 (the parcels green one) turned up on Aberdeen - Inverness workings late 1987/early 1988.

Re 47458 and its slapped on lipstick look. When 47458 returned from SF to YK it was kept in as was, ie "Grey" roof and red buffer beam as were several other 47s that SF retuned to YK. It was also far too early to have a "cockney Sparrow" emblem.

Regards

Al Taylor