Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

I have a number of Hornby Class 31 and have been testing all my locos after storage. I noticed one loco had a cracked body which I took off, started to file down the metal without realising there was a serious problem. The whole thin part of the solid metal chassis under the cab just crumbled. That's when I searched here and found this thread! Good job too, I have another one. However a quick phone call to Hornby this morning resulted in some superb customer service and the two locos will be sent back.

From the full Hornby production the product codes it affects are:

R2413

R2420

R2421

Hornby mentioned that it has not affected later batches with the A, B etc suffix.

28069281871_254da5197c_z.jpg

That's interesting as I've never seen one fracture in that spot before................although that is one of the weakest parts of the body. Make sure you ask for the bodyshell back as it does look salvageble to me. They normally do send them back if they fit a replacement bodyshell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thought about bumping this topic. Been thinking about getting a Hornby Class 31 (R3344), and just wondered if it has also been affected by the mazak rot. Not sure especially since until lately been put off by getting one, and just wondered if anyone knows if the later versions are affected like the first batch of 04'/05'.

Got a couple of Hornby 31's - weathered blue 31 268 (R2413B), a 2010 model and an earlier Trainload Coal 31 130 (R2546 Rail Express) from 2006.

No problems with chassis corrosion / rot whatsoever.

Just had problems with bogie sideframes on 31 268 going banana shaped and falling off (as discussed elsewhere here on RMW). Ended up fitting tie bars and gluing them back on. No big issue.

Have been really pleased with my Hornby 31's.

Edited by cravensdmufan

• RMweb Premium

Just checked my 31110 (R2421) after a year and found a small crack on the roof. Also the screws where tight when removing the body.

attachicon.gifHorby 31110 (1).JPG

attachicon.gifHorby 31110 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifHorby 31110 (5).JPG

attachicon.gifHorby 31110 (6).JPG

attachicon.gifHorby 31110 (8).JPG

attachicon.gifHorby 31110 (8).JPG

attachicon.gifHorby 31110 (9).JPG

attachicon.gifHorby 31110 (10).JPG

Mark

I've filed the chassis ends back slightly, so if there was a chassis issue, it has some room to expand.

Overall that 31 doesn't look to have the issues found on R2413 31 270 and R2420.

• RMweb Gold

See post #776.

I assume these are reduced as they aren't selling well due to it being quite a niche livery, and also a number that's quite recently been released.

Vaguely considered buying one to repaint, but haven't researched how far back in time the body is valid with the headlight.

• 2 weeks later...

From the full Hornby production the product codes it affects are:

R2413

R2420

R2421

Hornby mentioned that it has not affected later batches with the A, B etc suffix.

Just as a footnote - I sent two locos back to Hornby and they confirmed the problem as the corrosion and gave me 2 x £100 credits for use on the Hornby website. But the following extract from their email to me suggests they may now not be offering the credit any more. Although I guess always worth a try.

From Hornby...

"In 2013, a concern relating to spares resulted in Hornby being unable to repair the Class 31 Locomotives, therefore we moved to offering £100 voucher to anyone still effected.

Hornby offers a 1 year guarantee on all its products. Depending on the sales channel, we understand and appreciate customers can buy these items up to 3years+ of the original launch date. In the case of the Class 31 it’s now been 8 years since the original concern arose.

Following a review of sell through data and the log of customers that have reported this as an issue, it is our belief that affected units have lessened year on year, and as a result Hornby has taken the decision to withdraw any further voucher offers as of the 31 July 2016."

I assume these are reduced as they aren't selling well due to it being quite a niche livery, and also a number that's quite recently been released.

Vaguely considered buying one to repaint, but haven't researched how far back in time the body is valid with the headlight.

It was part of a batch released from refurbishment in the mid eighties with a headlamp fitted Edited by PM47079

It was part of a batch released from refurbishment in the mid eighties with a headlamp fitted

was the headlamp moved though? would that narrow the date range?

some have the headlamp under the drivers cab window, some have it centrally on the old cab front door

No they stayed fitted in that position under the drivers window. I will try and find out which eth conversions were fitted like that. Some of the earlier etc locos 31401-31421 were possibly done as they had their heavy general overhauls alongside the later conversions

I did the same, looking for a suitable late 90s prototype for a DCR model repaint.

(This'll be a manky link from a phone Google search, but) Mr. Turner's site is an invaluable resource for such matters: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/blue-diesels/sets/72157624287747921/ cross referenced with your Platform 5 bible of choice, natch.

Very high numbered ETS fitted seemed to be the favourites (not unsurprisingly) I think I gave up purely because there were few options available with EWS getting shot of Peds in my time period plus I already had 452 in Fragonset.

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

I unfortunately can confirm above post that Hornby have stopped giving vouchers. My 31110 loco has finally succumbed to expanding chassis although I managed to spot it before the body incurred any damage. I did send the chassis back to Hornby who confirmed mazak rot but weren't able to offer a replacement chassis or any voucher. However, I have always had excellent support from Hornby whenever I have needed help in the past, and have no complaint against Hornby here - my class 31 was certainly a good 8 years old and I can't think of any other industry that would honour a warranty 7 years out of date. I am now on the look out for a spare chassis and, if I can find one, look forward to transferring the motor and all the electrical bits onto a replacement. May not be very advanced modelling but is something I will enjoy having a go at.

Edited by Baldy

I have 3 31s with rotten chassis and split bodyshells all in different places and seemingly no way of getting them swapped for new chassis now reading the comments posted in the last few days. I had planned to get some of the DCR cheap ones from Hatton's but I guess everyone else had the same idea! Is there any merit in getting say a 3D printed chassis block made I wonder? Okay it won't have the weight of the original mazak chassis but I am sure some provision could be made to add weight whether liquid or sheet lead say.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

I have 3 31s with rotten chassis and split bodyshells all in different places and seemingly no way of getting them swapped for new chassis now reading the comments posted in the last few days. I had planned to get some of the DCR cheap ones from Hatton's but I guess everyone else had the same idea! Is there any merit in getting say a 3D printed chassis block made I wonder? Okay it won't have the weight of the original mazak chassis but I am sure some provision could be made to add weight whether liquid or sheet lead say.

Cheers Paul

If you are going to that trouble, as an alternative I would suggest buying some Lima 31's and transferring the drive train into the Lima chassis then put the Hornby shell on it or alternatively detail up the Lima bodyshell which in my opinion when detailed up looks better than the Hornby one. James on here did this mod:http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/19369-brush-type-2-re-birth-judgement-day/page-7

Jim S-W (I think) took a slightly different approach which I copied when I did mine of using the centre section of the Hornby chassis and making new mountings inside the Lima shell. I t was quite involved and I still have a nervousness about how long the chassis will last so anymore 31's I do will use the method James took.

Edited by 37114
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

They did have a D5509 planned for 2016 but this was dropped. It would have been ideal if it had been produced because if would have given them the opportunity to produce some spare chassis blocks.........................which rather than give away they could have sold.

However the green 31 is to materialise in Railroad form as D5551, totally the wrong bodyshell as it looks like a refurbished one. Why they just can't re-run the D5509 I don't know............they don't seem to be with it sometimes!

Three weeks of emails between me and Hornby and they are still discussing it with the engineers about my 50.

I don't think I'll get a voucher or anything as they seem to have stopped that, but it's still annoying.

How they deal with this will influence how much further I will spend on them TBH.

• 2 weeks later...

Have I missed out but have this problem been resolved yet as I have found another one of my Class 31 fleet with chassis rot. I haven't seen any reports since 2009. If this is still on going its about time it was sorted once and for all with us customers of Hornby getting compo

I've just been out to Barrow Hill Junction, my railway to have an operating session and one of my Hornby Class 31s (bought from Olivias as D5806 with sound etc. has done a very similar thing.

I thought maybe somebody had dropped it, but the front of the body has fractured in just this way.

Obviously the model was probably manufactured some years ago and it seems the "good" Hornby Class 31 is no longer available, only the RailRoad Range one seems to be produced now.

It's a real shame as it ran well, sounded great and looked superb, but now it has a big crack in it.

I've just been out to Barrow Hill Junction, my railway to have an operating session and one of my Hornby Class 31s (bought from Olivias as D5806 with sound etc. has done a very similar thing.

I thought maybe somebody had dropped it, but the front of the body has fractured in just this way.

Obviously the model was probably manufactured some years ago and it seems the "good" Hornby Class 31 is no longer available, only the RailRoad Range one seems to be produced now.

It's a real shame as it ran well, sounded great and looked superb, but now it has a big crack in it.

Could you tell us the colour scheme on this please.

The Blue 31, IIRC issued as 31270, was highlighted as one of the models prone to the Mazak rot. The early batch Green SYP ones however are supposedly OK, and I write as someone with a pair of renumbered ones operating on my layout at the moment.

The body fracture is due to expansion of the chassis, and if you separate the two distortion of the chassis from Mazak rot should be apparent - it may indeed fall apart in your hands. If however the chassis is sound then the body fracture has another cause.

John.

Well it looks like a solution to the mazak issue with the 50 . Hornby sent me two mazak keeper plates with screws to replace them, so that should fix it .

I've noticed that a number of my 50s have the same issue... contacted Hornby but they don't have any spare ones. Chassis look ok which is the main thing

Will