Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

OK nearly the last update I think.

After a deal of pressing and a number of phone calls Hornby have made me an acceptable offer now.

It would seem they looked high and low for a new chassis for me but drew a blank and having checked the new class 31 plans it seems this chassis just will not fit my old body.

The entire sad class 31 is being sent back along with a nice offer against something else I had ordered.

Currently investigating possible alternate chassis for my old body, might see if a Lima one can be had or a Hornby railroad one.

Also have some enquiries in about a new proper Hornby chassis at favorable cost!

Not exactly what I wanted but not too bad. Thanks to all concerned for help.

OH and while they have been very helpful, their inability to respond to emails is highly frustrating, where as phone calls get results.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OH and while they have been very helpful, their inability to respond to emails is highly frustrating, where as phone calls get results.

Having talked to one of the Hornby guys at Glasgow today - he seemed non-committal about my broken 31. He implied that the chassis would be swapped. He suggested I contact customer services by email. I responded that I had about 12 days ago with no reply. He replied with "send them another email".

I walked away.......

I will call them early next week.

I would endorse the comments about phoning Hornby rather than Email. It might take several minutes while you wait in a queue but you'll be lucky to get an Email reponse within 10 days.   Once you've got them on the phone they are pretty helpful.

HI this is my first post and after reading this I thought I add my bit.

I contacted Hornby in November after reading about this issue for the first time (not been on any forums until recently)

I have five class 31s which have hardly been out their boxes since purchase as I was slowly building my layout. Until recently I only used my old chipped Lima 37 to test the layout so no other locos got much use.. anyway on seeing the issue and some photos I went straight up to the loft to see if I had a problem. I did 31 110, cracks to one end. I eased the body off and the chassis ends fell off.

Hornby asked me to send the loco back to be checked. This loco was a present and I specifically asked that if it couldn't be replaced or repaired Id rather have it back, it has sentimental value as it was a present from my late father.

I was told the service depth would have a look and contact me.

At the end of January I got a letter containing a voucher for £100. The loco couldn't be repaired and the had no parts to repair it.

I wasn't happy with this as I wanted the loco and no one had contacted me? I've emailed Tanya 3 times requesting my loco be returned and asking why no one had contacted me?

Finally I sent a new complaint. I've now had an email stating they will return the loco and cancel the voucher.

So I'm now waiting to see if the loco is returned.

I've found the process very frustrating and the customer service poor.

As this was a present from my late father as I explained I had expected it to be dealt with better.

I understand the issues but don't send your 31 back if your expecting it repaired.

I'll let you know if it comes back.

HI this is my first post and after reading this I thought I add my bit.

I contacted Hornby in November after reading about this issue for the first time (not been on any forums until recently)

I have five class 31s which have hardly been out their boxes since purchase as I was slowly building my layout. Until recently I only used my old chipped Lima 37 to test the layout so no other locos got much use.. anyway on seeing the issue and some photos I went straight up to the loft to see if I had a problem. I did 31 110, cracks to one end. I eased the body off and the chassis ends fell off.

Hornby asked me to send the loco back to be checked. This loco was a present and I specifically asked that if it couldn't be replaced or repaired Id rather have it back, it has sentimental value as it was a present from my late father.

I was told the service depth would have a look and contact me.

At the end of January I got a letter containing a voucher for £100. The loco couldn't be repaired and the had no parts to repair it.

I wasn't happy with this as I wanted the loco and no one had contacted me? I've emailed Tanya 3 times requesting my loco be returned and asking why no one had contacted me?

Finally I sent a new complaint. I've now had an email stating they will return the loco and cancel the voucher.

So I'm now waiting to see if the loco is returned.

I've found the process very frustrating and the customer service poor.

As this was a present from my late father as I explained I had expected it to be dealt with better.

I understand the issues but don't send your 31 back if your expecting it repaired.

I'll let you know if it comes back.

Hi, sorry for you mate, I have been in a similar situation.

You need to call and speak to Mark Lodge, he is the manager there and there is no reason to cancel the voucher just because you want your loco back for clear sentimental reasons.

Taking that attitude is at best unkind. and they have not done that with me.

Tanya sounds about 16 and is probably on work experience where as Mark knows his stuff.

They are dreadful at answering emails which is a pain when you work shifts and can't get at the phone.

If it had not been for my wife calling for me my matter would not be on its way to resolution. 

Phone and speak to Mark, he should take care of you.

• RMweb Premium

Having talked to one of the Hornby guys at Glasgow today - he seemed non-committal about my broken 31. He implied that the chassis would be swapped. He suggested I contact customer services by email. I responded that I had about 12 days ago with no reply. He replied with "send them another email".

I walked away.......

I will call them early next week.

No need to call - I've received an email from Tanya today..........!

Asking for it to be returned. Only problem is I can't find the receipt. for it.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

I returned my Class 31 in early 2014 and received a £100 voucher from Hornby.  When returning it I explained that I did not have the original receipt as the loco was purchased a number of years ago, but they were still happy to assist me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I took the plunge yesterday and removed the body from my green toffee apple. Found the cab floor had disintegrated at one end! I then checked my green headcode boxed one also from the first batch of Hornby 31s and there was no problems at all. Luckily the body on the toffee apple is OK so I will ring Hornby in the week

• RMweb Gold

Sent my class 31 back last Tuesday no prove of purchase. Monday had a cheque for postage. Today had a letter with a £100 back code word for the Hornby Website. Crostri early crest now on order.

Edited by farren
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sent my class 31 back last Tuesday no prove of purchase. Monday had a cheque for postage. Today had a letter with a £100 back code word for the Hornby Website. Crostri early crest now on order.

Mine arrived at Hornby on Tuesday, with no invoice (bought in 2005 or so). I had removed the body as it's a D5511.

Today - discount code voucher arrived from Hornby.

Although I'm one loco down, and a similar replacement will cost more that the voucher, how many manufacturers of ANYTHING would be giving a refund nearly 10 years after the event?

Top marks to Hornby from me.

Cheers,

Mick

Did you guys send the body back? As mine isn't damaged I wonder if I could come to a deal with them.

No, mine had only cracked under the door easily repairable. I just put a note in saying so when I dropped it in at the visitor centre.

• RMweb Premium

Did you guys send the body back? As mine isn't damaged I wonder if I could come to a deal with them.

I just sent the chassis as the body only has short hairline cracks in the corners and is repairable.

Cheers,

Mick

If you go right back through this thread:

I just emailed them and got a replacement chassis block. I rebuilt the bits on to it myself, discarding the lights, pcb, fan drive etc. My D5511 (I think - I had renumbered it to D5508 anyway) body was then placed on the rebuilt chassis. However at some stage I lost a couple of grilles so I rang them up. Spares (free) were sent by return of post.

It seems that the grilles came from returned locos/bodies which they were stripping for useable spares.

Stewart

• 4 months later...

Dam, Just came across this after taking to a Fellow modeller 2 days ago, Bought a Second hand one from a Friend last year, Went to Chip it last week and it had one end had broken off, Rang the chap up to ask if he had dropped as there was a crack in the plastic it and he mostly looks after his stuff and said he did not. Obviously now corrision is the issue and not care.

Will have to contact Hornby now to see what tack to take.

Has this issue actually been resolved on new releases yet? If it has, I must have missed it, but I am dubious about buying 31s because of this issue (which i've experienced as well), so just looking for some clarity on the matter.

Edited by srihaggis

Has this issue actually been resolved on new releases yet? If it has, I must have missed it, but I am dubious about buying 31s because of this issue (which i've experienced as well), so just looking for some clarity on the matter.

Only three models were affected. Those were R2413, R2420 and R2421. If you find damage to any other model, then someone has broken it!

• Like 1

You can never be sure that newer ones are not affected at all as the corrosion has been showing up in other models as well. I believe the last reported sighting was on the Railroad R2880 BR 9F no 92221 tender chassis.

• Like 1

I was absolutely devastated yesterday when I discovered a great split in one end of the outer shell of my Class 31 loco (R2421).  There was also a small split at the other end of the shell.  I decided to remove the 4 screws to investigate further, but the shell wouldn't seem to budge.  In the process of removal, both bogie ends on the chassis literally snapped apart and the top outer shell screw holes also came away.  The whole loco appears ruined and there is a strange black sticky substance near the fractures of the metal as well.

I stumbled across this forum after speaking with Hornby Customer Care, who have advised me to box my loco up and return it to them for repair!  I was relieved to know I wasn't alone.

Good on Hornby for supporting their customers some years after purchase.

I will get it posted and just wait and see what happens?

• Like 5