Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

Two years ago I posted a picture of my contaminated D5512 (post #432 - this topic) when the problem first became apparent. At the time the valences were drooping slightly as in the picture and following the advice offered I managed to get the body off and save it.  The chassis had already failed and a section under one cab fell away. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures but I did notice the thin metal plate that sits on top of the coupling cam arrangement showed much more fatigue than the main block. In fact both these plates crumbled like a biscuit. 

I haven't done anything else with this model since due to other priorities but the chassis block doesn't appear to have got any worse. I suppose the nature of the contamination may mean that any individual chassis may have fewer "hotspots" than others and perhaps mine didn't have any in the main block but the plates were very bad. It could have been that due to the body going very tight I actually snapped the chassis myself getting the body off. There is clearly a weak point at the step in the frame below the rear of the cab.

I do wonder, had I noticed the problem sooner (I don't remove loco bodies for the fun of it) and replaced the plates or removed these and the cam device completely and fixed the NEM box in place, whether the chassis might have survived. I still have the idea that I might give this a try after reattaching the end of the chassis that is basically the cab floor.

At this late stage I appreciate the fact my question may be purely academic but does anyone who has dealt with this issue recall what they actually found regarding the relative corrosion level in the cam cover plates and the main chassis block having removed the body from their model before it had self destructed?

A bit late now but I wonder how many models may have been saved but for a mod of the coupling cam. Just a bit curious as to whether anyone managed to salvage their models without help from Hornby...no reason why they should have to of course.

RP

Edited by Roy P
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After returning my boxed Class 31 model to Hornby Service, three weeks later, I have now received a letter back from Hornby with a £100 discount code to be used on their website. I didn't have the original receipt after all this time.

Thanks again Hornby. I can't think of any other company I have ever dealt with that responds in this way so many years on. Even car manufacturers reject claims after this long even if it is an original manufacturing problem.

My Class 31 was returned to Hornby a few years ago, they replaced the corroded chassis and refunded my postage, very good service considering it was over 5 years old.  Unfortunately it does not run well at all, stutters along with the lights flashing white/red alternate, No sign of mechanical problems, guess its been wired wrong, now confined to the display cabinet.

Edited by TonyW

By way of being informative and parallel  to this topic - the Mazak rot has now spread to the T9 - I bought a Southern Train pack many moons ago and took the T9 it out for a run only to discover that the innards had disintegrated - So I am now wondering how responsive Hornby will be to this issue. Perhaps a separate thread should be started? Anyway I now know what it feels like to have owned a Hornby Class 31 and you all have my sympathy.

By way of being informative and parallel  to this topic - the Mazak rot has now spread to the T9 - I bought a Southern Train pack many moons ago and took the T9 it out for a run only to discover that the innards had disintegrated - So I am now wondering how responsive Hornby will be to this issue. Perhaps a separate thread should be started? Anyway I now know what it feels like to have owned a Hornby Class 31 and you all have my sympathy.

Would this be the Southern Suburban pack?

I'm one of the latest victims of the corroded chassis.

Took D5512 out of its box for the first time in a while to find two hair line cracks propagating in the corners. Caught just in time before the body gets wrote off.

Sent in to Hornby upon their customer care dept's request

Not wanting to really add 'fuel to the fire' but it may be worth checking the Hornby Royal Scot as well. I have a freind who has just returned his as the chassis block is crumbling away and can no longer hold the motor in position. It seems to me that this may be a factory problem where a bad batch of mazak has found its way into the daily production run of castings!

Unfortunately this kind of 'impurity problem' doesn't reveal itself for several years after manufacture and it is not unique to Hornby but more common in imported metal goods from the Far East. I sincerely hope that nobody on this forum is severely affected with this problem but would advise letting Hornby know immediately. They are very good with their customer service.........................they sorted out my large fleet of early class 31's for me.

I'm one of the latest victims of the corroded chassis.

Took D5512 out of its box for the first time in a while to find two hair line cracks propagating in the corners. Caught just in time before the body gets wrote off.

Sent in to Hornby upon their customer care dept's request

Your one seems to have lasted longer than most....

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It is possible to repair the body depending upon how comfortable you are doing this.

I've also started work upon a plasticard replacement chassis block.

Quite fancying building a model of 31 215 if I can find the right ingredients.

Edited by richierich
  • Like 1

I just requested a replacement block and changed everything over. I had a hairline crack in one corner. Caught mine before it did the real damage. Tiny amount of plastic weld on the inside of the body and it is fine. Chipped it up whilst I had the body off. No issues since

To be honest, I have never known Hornby to have so much trouble with this rot as they have since production was moved to China. I just hope there are better quality controls in place now. 

I just hope they have better metallurgists working on quality control for the new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point- my mother lives across the Bristol Channel.

I always wanted one of the Class 31s, but unfortunately could not find one at the time.

Reading all your replies about this model i am pleased i missed it.

As the problem has been going on so long i would have thought Hornby would have made a replacement chassis to the same dimensions in a plastic type material, extra weight could have easily been added.

I don`t find Hornby`s way of dealing with your complaints and problems acceptable.

From now on i will avoid any Hornby loco.

Good luck to all of you who have any of these loco`s as they are not fit for purpose or even display only.

I think that is something of an over reaction. I have many Hornby locos that work fine, and have done so for years.

Yes there have been major problems with the Class 31, but so too for other manufacturers, like the Heljan Class 17, yet many of their other locos are fine.

Jamie

I always wanted one of the Class 31s, but unfortunately could not find one at the time.

As the problem has been going on so long i would have thought Hornby would have made a replacement chassis to the same dimensions in a plastic type material, extra weight could have easily been added.

I don`t find Hornby`s way of dealing with your complaints and problems acceptable.

Good luck to all of you who have any of these loco`s as they are not fit for purpose or even display only.

Well of course it's your choice but avoiding all Hornby locos might be a bit of an over-reaction. Although there have been sporadic issues reported with some other Hornby models, the fundamental issue here concerns the first 3 Hornby Class 31 models produced in Blue, Green and Dutch livery, which appear to have an endemic issue with contaminated Mazak used in their underframes. Hornby have continued to provide solutions to owners of these models fully 10 years after their production. I have 3 other Hornby 31s, all from other batches, that I have regularly monitored and which have shown no problem to date. Provided you avoid those first three affected models, there is no reason to expect your 31 to disintegrate.

• RMweb Premium

And don't forget that Heljan had similar issues with the Class 47.

As previously mentioned, how many manufacturers of other stuff - not confined to railways - would offer a voucher for £100 for an item that is a number of years old and in many cases (me included) , no proof of purchase and also in many other cases, bought for less than £100 in the first place.?

Well done Hornby.

I would like to see your solution of a plastic chassis with added weight - what would you use Mazak?

Cheers,

Mick

Bought one of a buddy last year, Went to stick a decoder in it and noticed the ends were cracked, Nearly had an Argument over it as I thought he had dropped it and sold me a dud.

Now the truth emerges, always loved the 31, Will be contacting Hornby over this but would like another 31 instead of the voucher.

Now have to check my T9s now. :(

George,

• Like 1

Bought one of a buddy last year, Went to stick a decoder in it and noticed the ends were cracked, Nearly had an Argument over it as I thought he had dropped it and sold me a dud.

Now the truth emerges, always loved the 31, Will be contacting Hornby over this but would like another 31 instead of the voucher.

Now have to check my T9s now. :(

George,

I don't think a voucher would even cover the cost of a class 31 considering the recent price hikes. I too would be requesting a full replacement. At the time I discovered the issue you got a full replacement receiving D5511, but I requested a block and repaired myself for some strange reason

And don't forget that Heljan had similar issues with the Class 47.

As previously mentioned, how many manufacturers of other stuff - not confined to railways - would offer a voucher for £100 for an item that is a number of years old and in many cases (me included) , no proof of purchase and also in many other cases, bought for less than £100 in the first place.?

Well done Hornby.

I would like to see your solution of a plastic chassis with added weight - what would you use Mazak?

Cheers,

Mick

Over many years we have had many good models all improvements on each other from different companies.

Tri-ang and Tri-ang Hornby produced a very good for the time a Class 31.

I think next was Airfix to produce the 31.

Next probably Lima, who excelled in producing so many variations of livery.

All of the above had a plastic type chassis with added weight, some used a mazak type material others just plate steel or a block of steel or iron.

The added weight fitted into a compartment, usually the fuel tank between bogies.

Most allowed room all around so it was not a tight fit.

Some modellers wanting more weight applied extra, it was not difficult to do.

Even if the weight was made of mazak room was allowed for expansion.

I personally sold all my Lima loco`s in the hopes of purchasing some of the new models then emerging.

It was only the other day i was thinking that although i had most Loco classes i realised i did not have a Class 31.

My own era of collecting is Green with half or full Yellow ends and Blue with pre tops numbers.

I should have chosen my words better by saying that Hornby have no locos i wish to buy in the current range.

I have checked the Hornby website to see what is available for now.

It was interesting to see a recent post where the gentleman has had so many returns of Hornby 31`s he is now probably going back to the Lima models.

I personally had around 7 of those and all performed well, i can see the original motor would not perform well with DCC but i don`t use DCC anyway.

I can not remember the cost of a Class 31 by Hornby...£80...£90 ?, but a Lima loco would only cost £25 to £35 and so far i don`t know of any that had a mazak problem.

Now i do hope this does not happen to any of you but a while back my friend bought a load of Lima loco`s which had been in a fire in a modeller`s loft.

The Heat had distorted all the Lima Diesel Loco body`s but all chassis were unaffected by the heat, my friend has nearly sold all of them to modeller`s who still kit build or for spare`s.

So plastic chassis are not so Laughable.

The offering by Hornby of a cash voucher is a very good gesture, but i assume it can only be used to buy Hornby items.

The cost to Hornby has probably been written off as companies do to tax.

Also they maybe had some refund given to them by the company who provided the Mazak or Mazak casting.

Anyway lets agree you buy what you want and i will buy what i want.

I do hope a good Class 31 is produced soon.

I do have a Heljan Clayton, yes it is a show piece only as it has the motor problem, but it was nearly new and only cost £25 boxed.