Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

• 1 month later...

Does any one know if Bachmann plan to produce a blue class 40 with disc headcodes? As I would like a couple.

Not 97407 but a run of the mill example?

I should say a new version not an older version.

How much of an improvement is the new version over the older model

Someone on here has kindly offered me 40075.  If I compared it to one of the latest versions of the class 40, is there a huge difference?

Edited by SouthernBlue80s

Does any one know if Bachmann plan to produce a blue class 40 with disc headcodes? As I would like a couple.

Not 97407 but a run of the mill example?

I should say a new version not an older version.

How much of an improvement is the new version over the older model

Someone on here has kindly offered me 40075.  If I compared it to one of the latest versions of the class 40, is there a huge difference?

Bachmann currently have no plans to produce a run of the mill blue disc 40. The current version is a much better beast than the older one. Much better, finer, more accurate tooling, and full lighting too.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Silly question - bought 97407 yesterday at a shop. Was test run ok, but didn't look in great detail at it.

On getting it home I find the brake pipes and connections are added on both ends of the loco and one coupling is installed and the other missing. On this model presumably the pipes and connectors were supplied in a little bag to be fitted by the user? At the moment it looks to me like this is in fact secondhand but wanted to check. The headcode discs are in a bag but the second coupling is AWOL and I assume was in the pipes bag on original purchase? Or are the pipes factory fitted, if so was the coupling in a separate bag?

Any thoughts from others who have one appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by ruggedpeak

The Hattons photos for this model show it supplied with the pipe detail fitted, but not with one of Hornby style NEM couplings removed. I presume this is how they are factory supplied, as Hattons do not usually add details before photographing the models (I may get corrected on this?).

Perhaps the other coupling has been removed for window display before sale? You should ask the shop for it if you want the NEW couplings at both ends.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/107212/Bachmann_Branchline_32_482_Class_40_97407_Aureol_in_BR_Blue/StockDetail.aspx

Helajn have been fully fitting details and no NEM coupling (but with the mounting box behind) for a while.

I hope that is of some help.

Jamie

more of the pipework may be fitted on these models because the buffer beam is part of the bogies so pipework fitted won't foul the coupling

you should at least have a coupling for both ends though. it wasnt supplied in the little bag with the disc headcodes was it? was the bag opend too?

My 97407 came with all of the pipes fitted and couplings at both ends

In the little bag (unopened as yet) there are frost grilles, headcode discs and what looks like a blanking plug for the bufferbeam if the coupling is removed.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to everyone for replying. I have the little bag with the headcodes, frost grill and coupling blanking plug, and that bag is intact. So looks like just the 2nd coupling is missing, which is not a major deal. I'll speak to them next time I'm in. Whoever put the pipes etc on did a proper job with no glue or anything, looks like it was factory fitted.

Thanks to everyone for replying. I have the little bag with the headcodes, frost grill and coupling blanking plug, and that bag is intact. So looks like just the 2nd coupling is missing, which is not a major deal. I'll speak to them next time I'm in. Whoever put the pipes etc on did a proper job with no glue or anything, looks like it was factory fitted.

The blanking plug in my bag seems to be for the roof.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Boiler port blanking plate.

Just checked the pick ups on D335

It has the bush pick ups on axles 2 & 4 as per the last batch of locos - but also wiper pick ups on axles 2 & 3 so no need to get the soldering iron out

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Can anyone advise how easy it is to access the headcode box  so dominos can be replaced with a headcode?

I'm thinking about 32-484 but would prefer a head code in place

Thanks

Chris

• 5 months later...

Hello Folks,

Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that the nose ends on these models are 'separate from the body and that they can be removed from the main body moulding please?

Searched within topic, but can't find an answer :(

Thanks

Hello Folks,

Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that the nose ends on these models are 'separate from the body and that they can be removed from the main body moulding please?

Searched within topic, but can't find an answer :(

Thanks

On the latest 40 releases, the nose ends are separate parts, and could be removed with care, same as the latest 37's.

• 4 months later...

Just been looking at my 40s.

I managed to get one end off of 40 159 as an experiment. I think it's easier to get the centre headcode out that way. Once off, you can remove the PCB from the inside of the end and spring the headcode glazing out with the end of a paintbrush from the inside, using firm but careful pressure. Mine was quite well jammed in but it came out, taking a little bit of paint off of the end around the headcode in the process, but nothing that can't be sorted out fairly easily.

This experiment opens up the way to backdate a 40 159 to pre-TOPs.

It also occurred to me that it would be a fairly easy way to do a full yellow end on a green one by springing off the ends and repainting, thus avoiding the need to mask up etc.