Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How do you know if you're made it as a railway modeller?

• RMweb Gold

I feel like i've made it as a modeller, when after hours of messing with something repeatedly and having gotten it wrong several times, had  urgent panics to recover some big mistake but finally can sit and look at it running sweetly.

Usually followed by instant grounding back to earth by something going clatter down stairs followed by family grasping at my ineptitude to fix what ever just broke in the house.

I'll let you know if I ever finish anything. ;)

I've loads of half finished projects, most of which probably aren't worth sharing even if I had the technology to do so. I might buy a digital camera soon though just to give everyone a laugh....

Currently the only cameras I have are film and the phone is attached to the wall.

Jason

• Like 2

I'll let you know if I ever finish anything. ;)

I've loads of half finished projects, most of which probably aren't worth sharing even if I had the technology to do so. I might buy a digital camera soon though just to give everyone a laugh....

Currently the only cameras I have are film and the phone is attached to the wall.

Jason

I expect that they are worth sharing. The fact that you have even made a start is worth sharing - you have done something, which is more than a lot of people on this forum do. If we took away all the hot air topics, where people blather on about what the next RTR item will be (or what they want it to be), or Hornby's business model, the future of manufacturing in China, the price of fish etc then I'm sure we'd find a lot of people with a zero post count.

• Like 2

Hi all.

Well I had my tuppence worth earlier in this thread. I have to admit I am a model railway'er with out a model railway to play with at the moment. Mine has been boxed away for several years waiting for the move to a house that has room enough for it. And yes my house is up for sale as I type. She who must be obayed has agreed that the 2nd biggest bedroom in our new house will be the room for my new railway. So I have to content myself with painting, modifying and generally building stuff that goes into boxes for future use. That and as some of you have seen in some of my earlier posts helping my friends build their own railways. The 1930's tinplate and the 16mm narrow gauge garden railway for instance. Which I am pleased to say we finished building last week. The final siding into it's canal dock basin was laid.

Edited by cypherman

Hear Hear Gibbo675.  I know I have made it when others (who cannot show anything they have made, usually only what they have purchased) come up and take the mickey out of and sneer at what I have designed and built.

I think it is time for those who must judge to judge against the criteria of how much pleasure and satisfaction the item that has been built has given to the builder. Never mind "exhibition standards" this is a hobby and should be pleasurable and should be measured on those grounds.

I am just about to put on my tin hat, flak jacket and take cover to await the incoming.

regards

Ian

Ha! Ha!

I was somewhat bemused to be criticised for my APT-E not being up to the standards of ready to run by what may be termed an "out of the box" modeller. It would seem that the Pendelino was so much better.

post-34584-0-86315900-1532253416_thumb.jpg

It's not the end of the world though !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Ha! Ha!

I was somewhat bemused to be criticised for my APT-E not being up to the standards of ready to run by what may be termed an "out of the box" modeller. It would seem that the Pendelino was so much better.

attachicon.gifDSCF0239.JPG

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

Did you ask him if he'd always been a total prat or if it was just a phase he was going through?

FWIW your APT-E looks pretty darn good to me and certainly stands comparison with the Pendolino but that's really not the point. The satisfaction from creating anything is that it's you that's made it. It's a totally different relationship from something you've simply bought.

They might as well ask people playing cricket on the village green why they're bothering when they can watch far better play at the Oval; the response could be interesting.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Ha! Ha!

Gibbo.

No, presumably that's the World's End layout...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OK. Some excellent discourse has occurred here, a jolly good thing I haven't said anything..

Can I refer to the opening post? Why would a respected (certainly by me), and obviously talented scratchbuilder decide to light the blue touch paper, when his own superb efforts fall down at the basic level of gauge?

By no means am I attempting a gauge wars type diversion (I play at P4 and 00, and may yet switch over to EM and 00 after seeing Hornsey Broadway), but the premise strikes me as glass houses.

Still, horses for courses. If your talent subscribes, do the modelling. If your talent doesn't, do the modelling. Many happy suprises may lay in wait.

As the old saying goes, 'If you think can or you think you cannot, you're probably right.'

Well that was hardly worth sobering up for, sorry.

Still a bit pissed,

Bern

Edited by Finsbury

OK. Some excellent discourse has occurred here, a jolly good thing I haven't said anything..

Can I refer to the opening post? Why would a respected (certainly by me), and obviously talented scratchbuilder decide to light the blue touch paper, when his own superb efforts fall down at the basic level of gauge?

By no means am I attempting a gauge wars type diversion (I play at P4 and 00, and may yet switch over to EM and 00 after seeing Hornsey Broadway), but the premise strikes me as glass houses.

Still, horses for courses. If your talent subscribes, do the modelling. If your talent doesn't, do the modelling. Many happy suprises may lay in wait.

As the old saying goes, 'If you think can or you think you cannot, you're probably right.'

Well that was hardly worth sobering up for, sorry.

Still a bit pissed,

Bern

I'll say!!!!!!!!!

Not sure l understood a word of that of what gauge you build in has to do with the original question.

The layout is David Forshaw's Burshaw North Western, the APT-E was built ny me as an experiment in N gauge, as I'm a OO man, and as a gift to David.

Now I know the APT-E is N gauge, I'm even more impressed and believe your critic to be even more of a prat than I'd already assumed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ha! Ha!

Gibbo.

I've just this minute cottoned on to this layout is N-Gauge. That is something else. Well done is a bit of an understatement.....

Ian.

• RMweb Premium

The layout is David Forshaw's Burshaw North Western, the APT-E was built ny me as an experiment in N gauge, as I'm a OO man, and as a gift to David.

The prototype HST power car is also very nice, whoever built it, it doesnt look RTR.

Dava

I did it once on here many years ago after a particularly happy Christmas lunch and got into a spot of bother with Andy.

Never again, if I feel like posting when I have had a few the rule is wait for the following day.

Yeah I learnt that lesson a while ago, now if I go on the computer after an evening in the pub my wife gives me a right earful - I prefer a quiet life thanks!! :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't mind if it was off the cuff, I waited weeks to spout bolleaux! I think I will keep to my non-expert attempts at modelling.

I can only hope Clive doesn't park his Abbott SPG up my .........

Love you guys.

B

• RMweb Gold

I built some baseboards and laid track on it and added scenery. I was happy with the level of detail on the scenery front, my son built me a pc with touch screen and some MERG DCC stuff, so I wired it all up and got it working. I have modified a Hornby Type 2 to make it more realistic re the fuel and water tanks, fitted lights to it and spray painted from green to blue. I am a railway modeller, not as skilled or as good as others on this forum, but nonetheless, a railway modeller.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I sort of felt like I'd made it a bit, or at any rate I felt a bit warm and fuzzy, the first time somebody on this forum thanked me for something I'd suggested.  It's nice at my age to still be of some use...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1