New OO gauge Class 73

Dapol made my decision easier. I wasn’t going to repaint the loco but when it arrived (with all its buffers intact) the colours were soooo far off I had to… There is still a bit of work to be done but nearly there. Anyone know where I can get the correct numbers for 73123??

I would suggest browsing Replica Railways' range of transfers for the numbers. They cover a fair range of modern image and sectorisation numbers and symbols/crests.

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile in Australia more tiny parts continue to fall off E6007.  

Would someone mind telling Dapol, or more specifically their Chinese factory, that "assembly" usually requires glue as well as placing the parts in very close proximity to each other with fingers crossed?

I have also had a few fall off or nearly do so. The superglue has been in action!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't know if anyone else has noticed but the couplings on mine seem nearly a millimetre too low.

But are they the right way up to start with?  Mine were "too low" but then I spotted the assembly error.

Meanwhile in Australia more tiny parts continue to fall off E6007.  

Would someone mind telling Dapol, or more specifically their Chinese factory, that "assembly" usually requires glue as well as placing the parts in very close proximity to each other with fingers crossed?

its the same in western Australia off 124. bolster torsion bars, brake cylinder and guard irons. the cylinder had no signs of ever having been glued. I for one think thats it for me. no more Dapol rolling stock products. 

Just got home to find a parcel waiting for me? open it up to find my Class 73 in large logo livery but wait noooooo damaged buffers and sections of underframe detail broken off!! This could be poor handling by the mailing department but reading the other posts on the forum maybe not!!

Not a happy customer I will be returning her!

Darren NSE DAZ

But are they the right way up to start with?  Mine were "too low" but then I spotted the assembly error.

I haven't even looked as I was never even going to fit the standard Dapol couplings.

I said it in a previous post but this loco could have been a huge, positive milestone for Dapol if they'd got it right. Instead it seems to be heading towards being a huge negative one especially in the light of comments like those above. This is my first Dapol locomotive and I will certainly think twice before ordering another one. I have a Dutch liveried one on order and, although my heart tells me otherwise, my head says "Cancel". Such a shame.  Better decide soon.

As has also been said, the silence from Dapol is deafening.

It will be interesting to see what kind of language is used in the magazine reviews. They generally tread carefully for fear of upsetting their bigger advertisers but they really ought to tell the truth if they're claiming to give honest reviews.

• Agree 1

It will be interesting to see what kind of language is used in the magazine reviews. They generally tread carefully for fear of upsetting their bigger advertisers but they really ought to tell the truth if they're claiming to give honest reviews.

I wouldn't expect too much, when one of the mags posted pics online the livery issues were immediately flagged up, and almost as immediately fobbed off as being down to the lighting. I think an honest review is needed with this one. Dapol seem prone to livery errors over the years, some real clangers too like the IC exec Mk3 coaches, but the 73 is in a whole new league. Which is a pity, as it combines PCB problems that have been a long standing issue with Dapol with some pretty fundamental livery errors on most of the models so far, AND an emerging QC issue regarding assembly. The 73 promised to be such a good model, and while it still has the potential to be, is seemingly turning into a relatively large headache.

• RMweb Gold

and i have just had highlighted, i hadn't noticed, my body shell isn't fitted correctly and is bulging out at the bottom. got to take the body off now and see why

If its bulging out in the cab area then its probably the cab interior lugs not in the slots in the cab glazing.

If its bulging out in the cab area then its probably the cab interior lugs not in the slots in the cab glazing.

Yep, both cab interiors were mis-installed. so assembly issues again  :blind:   definitely not buying another  :cry: but i do have a SLW class 24 coming....  :good:

• Like 2

I haven't even looked as I was never even going to fit the standard Dapol couplings.

I said it in a previous post but this loco could have been a huge, positive milestone for Dapol if they'd got it right. Instead it seems to be heading towards being a huge negative one especially in the light of comments like those above. This is my first Dapol locomotive and I will certainly think twice before ordering another one. I have a Dutch liveried one on order and, although my heart tells me otherwise, my head says "Cancel". Such a shame.  Better decide soon.

As has also been said, the silence from Dapol is deafening.

I wouldn't expect too much, when one of the mags posted pics online the livery issues were immediately flagged up, and almost as immediately fobbed off as being down to the lighting. I think an honest review is needed with this one. Dapol seem prone to livery errors over the years, some real clangers too like the IC exec Mk3 coaches, but the 73 is in a whole new league. Which is a pity, as it combines PCB problems that have been a long standing issue with Dapol with some pretty fundamental livery errors on most of the models so far, AND an emerging QC issue regarding assembly. The 73 promised to be such a good model, and while it still has the potential to be, is seemingly turning into a relatively large headache.

That's throwing down the gauntlet. Remember, what's on here is the aggregate of a lot of people's experience with their models. The reviewer usually only has one sample and it may or may not have any or all of the issues mentioned. I've checked my sample, briefly and the cabs appear correctly fitted and there's no bulges in the body. There are no loose or broken parts in the packaging. It is the Airtour Suisse example and appears to be correctly coloured (i.e. beige not white at the bottom edge). It'll get reviewed over the Christmas holiday. I won't be likely to run it on DCC. Oh,.....and I've no idea whether or not Dapol is advertising so I won't be taking that into account - in fact I never do. I'm aware some on here will not accept that, but it is true nevertheless. I can't take issue with livery colours on samples that I haven't seen, although from what I've seen in the local store I note that there's an InterCity liveried version which is white rather than beige at the bottom and green version which looks on the dark side to me but I believe is based on a 1980s repaint, so the prototype may have been in the wrong green and the model may be correct. (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some advice from Dapol, who responded promptly and directly to my enquiries:

"Regarding the bowing which you have noted: This is in all probability caused by the model having received a jolt during transit, causing the cab to become unclipped from the body, (this will spread the sides).

With the body removed from the chassis, please check that the cab moulding retaining clips are fitted correctly into their location within the bodyshell. (You will find a drawing within the documentation showing how to remove the cab). The body is moulded to fit the chassis without a gap, and adding a plastic strip will merely ensure the body flairs out (incorrectly) along its entire length."

Dapol have confirmed that there is a PCB/DCC Socket fault, to be corrected when there is a further release. (Synopsis of email correspondence)

As for the paint issues, I would suggest that Dapol be contacted directly.

Found a couple of 73 sitting in East Croydon station yesterday, so took the opportunity to look for dimples. The winter lighting was great!

I can't see any dimples.

Thoughts?

Luke

But definitely visible in in Enterprisingwestern's photo on post 899 of this thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54082-new-oo-gauge-class-73/?p=2129510