New OO gauge Class 73

A bit more digging in the magazine article file uncovered an article which looks like it came from a Rly Modeller

"Dawn of the Electro-Diesel by D. Fereday Glenn

I well remember a particular visit to Eastleigh (71A) shed during the summer of 1962:… there stood a green curiosity. Actually, it was in two-tone green livery, EMU stock green being the predominant colour but with a contrasting pale shade here and there. E6002, for such it was, looked very glossy and smart, quite different from any other Southern engine before or since!"

Edited by Butler Henderson

Both of my class 73s have developed a jerky ness on the layout, like as if electrical power is cutting out intermittently (lights cut out as well).

At first I thought dirty wheels and track, but with the wheels spotless and track spotless (no other loco type showing any jerkiness, ranging from much older Bachmann class 24' Heljan class 33s and even a Lima 73), I cannot explain this intermittent running that affects both Dapol 73s.

Anyone ales had the same problem?

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Premium

Both of my class 73s have developed a jerky ness on the layout, like as if electrical power is cutting out intermittently (lights cut out as well).

At first I thought dirty wheels and track, but with the wheels spotless and track spotless (no other loco type showing any jerkiness, ranging from much older Bachmann class 24' Heljan class 33s and even a Lima 73), I cannot explain this intermittent running that affects both Dapol 73s.

Anyone ales had the same problem?

If you search "pickup" in this thread, there may be answers.

edit: for some reason the link doesn't work. Type "pickup "in the search box and click "this topic", although the results may be a bit vague...........................

I just took the bogie frames off mine and cleaned out all the grease.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

I don't have a OO 73, but it definitely sounds like a pickup issue. Do they have bearings pickups? This seems to cause a lot of intermittent running problems on many newer N gauge locos and has been an issue with Bachmann class 40s in OO. Lubrication gets in and insulates.

Edited by Elvinley

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening all

I have found the pics I took when modifying the pickups on my two locos previously, and I have created a thread with them as I have had so many people contact me about them.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121752-Dapol-class-73-pick-up-modification/

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I read a bit about cleaning electrical contacts and one fluid appeared often which was 90% proof alcohol. I have a bottle of this always laying around, it is fuel for my fondue sets.

So I brushed a load on each bearing (no stripping required) and set the loco running on a rolling road, after about 15 seconds the stutter stopped and the loco took off. I left it running a minute and tried on the layout. Smooth as silk now, even through point work.

I will see how often dirt builds up before deciding whether or not to fit additional pickups.

• RMweb Gold

I read a bit about cleaning electrical contacts and one fluid appeared often which was 90% proof alcohol. I have a bottle of this always laying around, it is fuel for my fondue sets.

Would that be isopropyl alcohol, also known as isopropanol?

• RMweb Premium

Nô idea, but I would say it was mentholated spirits. The bottle is marked "acolhol pour brûler 90%".

I was hoping it might be like an alcoholic crême brulée 

• RMweb Gold

Got a 73 from Dapol last week for £90 refurbished, anyway got it running last night, DCC chipped with a Bachmann chip, runs lovely however I notice the bogies don't pivot in the centre and they sort of swing down at the front when the loco is lifted up, as my layout has inclines it's causing a few issues where the track transitions between the flat and incline as the bogies don't pivot as 'normal' anyone else noticed any issues on inclines?

Other than that a cracking little loco (had to be bought as I've driven a couple of Gbrf 73s!)

Mentholated spirits, are they the ones 'avec menthol'?

Bl**dy spell check being based on the US dictionary! I suppose I should say ethanol!

Cleaning a loco in mint flavored (there it goes again removing the u from flavoured) spirits probably won't improve performance but might help you breath better.

• RMweb Gold

Got a 73 from Dapol last week for £90 refurbished, anyway got it running last night, DCC chipped with a Bachmann chip, runs lovely however I notice the bogies don't pivot in the centre and they sort of swing down at the front when the loco is lifted up, as my layout has inclines it's causing a few issues where the track transitions between the flat and incline as the bogies don't pivot as 'normal' anyone else noticed any issues on inclines?

Other than that a cracking little loco (had to be bought as I've driven a couple of Gbrf 73s!)

I made the same observation about the bogie arrangement back in January 2016 (see post #1425) - it's not an issue on my layout but I was wondering if anyone else had had problems. It seems like a straight forward piece of bad design to me.

• RMweb Premium

There is, brewed by Dark Star around Xmas time and it's very nice.

[mode=hijack]Dark Star can do nothing (much) wrong in my book.  An excellent outfit[/mode]

I made the same observation about the bogie arrangement back in January 2016 (see post #1425) - it's not an issue on my layout but I was wondering if anyone else had had problems. It seems like a straight forward piece of bad design to me.

Don't get me started on bad design on these models. I won't be buying any more of them. There were incorrect livery colours, badly designed bogie pivot arrangements, badly designed electrical pickups and badly designed PCB circuits, poorly applied details (badly specified glue?), and very poor customer relations, and all at a premium price with a promise of something special and better than what went before.

• RMweb Gold

Don't get me started on bad design on these models. I won't be buying any more of them. There were incorrect livery colours, badly designed bogie pivot arrangements, badly designed electrical pickups and badly designed PCB circuits, poorly applied details (badly specified glue?), and very poor customer relations, and all at a premium price with a promise of something special and better than what went before.

thats why i waited til i could get the one i wanted for a price i felt was fair given the documented 'issues', i didnt however know about the wierd bogie pivot arrangement until i ran it, i think i can get round it but ive got a bit of track fettling to do thats for sure!

• Like 1

...... i didnt however know about the wierd bogie pivot arrangement until i ran it, i think i can get round it but ive got a bit of track fettling to do thats for sure!

There have been a few recent models I can name with track handling issues (manufacturers seem to think layouts are 2D and flat, the fact they need to transit a third dimension escaped them), oddly my pair of 73s copes far better with track than these other models. I assume the bogie arrangement was a design compromise to ensure a detailed cab.

Bad design is maybe a bit harsh.  Of the issues stated, only 2 are really related to design.

1/ The bogie pivots is an odd choice for sure - my guess is a compromise to have a fully detailed cab.

2/ Bearing pick-ups have been an overall failure whether it is Dapol, DJM or Bachmann looking at the threads (personally, my Bachmann 40 and 85 with these don't appear to have suffered yet - but both Dapol 73s did). Either they need electrical lubricants or a switch to classic pickups.

However the PCB board and electrical set up is something they should be corrected on future runs. It does seem like their current Chinese supplier has progress to make in the electrical and electronic area as they now have a series of models with minor issues here.

Livery colour is not really related to design itself and should again be easy to correct on future models.

On bits falling off, they would be an assembly issue. Of course we could have designs with less details. Personally my pair of 73s have not had any parts falling off - yet. I have had parts fall off Hornby and Heljan (even recent models). The latter leading me to order sprews of detailed parts!

On Customer Service, we know they are facing attacks from certain individuals at now a legal level. I have seen at least one individual being very unfair demanding Dapol to make a unreasonable and unjust public statements. This means they have probably become very cautious in any statement (even to individuals) they now make.  Despite that, they did admit to the electrical problem on the 73. It will be interesting to see how the model improves following feedback. That said I have never contacted Dapol so cannot comment on their service.

Would I buy more 73s? Now I have 3 Lima 73's still running today (vs 2 Dapol). For the moment, further subjects chosen by Dapol, do not interest me and at this time there is a huge expensive program of other southern stuff to come out in the near future. I am equally interested to see how the model evolves in addressing known issues. So at this time, I have no intention of buying further examples. That could change depending on how the model evolves (it is not far from perfection), future livery options and a paucity of other SR related items on offer at the time.

• RMweb Gold

On Customer Service, we know they are facing attacks from certain individuals at now a legal level. I have seen at least one individual being very unfair demanding Dapol to make a unreasonable and unjust public statements. This means they have probably become very cautious in any statement (even to individuals) they now make.  Despite that, they did admit to the electrical problem on the 73. It will be interesting to see how the model improves following feedback. That said I have never contacted Dapol so cannot comment on their service.

Recently there have been too many comments from people who, in the main, hide behind usernames making unfair and accusatory claims that, to be honest, they would not make face-to-face. Several comments made on RMWeb recently are defamatory and are probably concerning for the various companies involved who have to walk a thin line between just taking it on the chin and protecting their reputation.

Personally I would not be against users who make such comment being told to either leave the forum or publish with their real name. That way companies such as Dapol may find they get treated more fairly as the individuals may think twice before making unfair/unjust comments.

Roy