Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

9 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

There have been some good bargins. A SEF M& with spare chassis and spare gibson wheels plus a fully built Fincescast loco for £25, a fully bult DJH N for 49 with spare cabs and a pair of Comet Gresley corridor coaches with wheels for £30. 

! thought I was doing well with the SEF M7 I bought for £36, has Markit wheels, the body is missing a hand rail. still the chassis is coming apart to be rebuilt in EM gauge. at the same time I will upgrade the DS10 motor and gearbox rather than gears.

Last year I had a steal with a DJH SR N class, it was in a poorly displayed and described lot for £40, with the other parts was an unbuilt Craftsman Schools chassis, the loco's chassis needed rebuilding as it had a naf K's HP2M motor and gears but the lot included a DJH gearbox and motor. Trouble is it got me into buying another 4 DJH loco kits

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

managed to score a Bachmann 37 dcc dound fitted in railfrieght livery for £101 last night. Starting bid of 130 with no takers with 11 hours to go, put a cheeky offer in of 101 and it got accepted.

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A few weeks ago I saw listed a MR Sentinel VBT 'Islebrook' for sale at £99.95. I put it on my watch list and then forgot about it. Last week I checked my watch list and it had been sold so before I deleted it I clicked on the similar items and found an identical model at £79.95. The postman delivered it this morning.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had some interesting finds the past couple of weeks

In one of a pair of lots from the same buyer I bought 2 old unmade Center Models Avonside S Class 0-4-0 saddle tanks, one complete body, the other missing 3 parts which I have fashioned up from some whitemetal spares I have. Both chassis are quite nasty whitemetal things. The second package as well as an etched chassis two motors and a set of Romford and 4 pairs of Gibson wheels was a K's Taff Vale 0-4-0 saddle tank. The biggest issue being the cab front/roof is missing, I have plans to scratch build a replacement. also the chassis/motor /wheels will be sold as I have an Ambis replacement on order

A week or so earlier I bought a Will N7 at a good price, I wanted the Alan Gibson chassis wheels and several hard brass castings, the unbuilt loco kit will be sold off as I don't need it

I also bought a DJH BR class 4 tank partially built with a ret of Romford/Markit wheels for just over £50 missing a few castings, as the kit is £180 ish and wheel pack £60 ish I am well pleased. I don't model either the BR period or like black locos, but have a fixation for large tank locos and these o look splendid in lined black. Had been built with superglue which had started to fail, I got out the superglue de-bonder and its in parts

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Bucoops said:

On the assumption it turns up this was a good price

An absolute bargain, I've recently ordered the 5.5" version for £60 from Derek @ Eileens!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/07/2020 at 08:10, Bucoops said:

On the assumption it turns up this was a good price - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hold-amp-Fold-Jig-14-034-Gold-Edition-Deluxe-BOXED-/224059829934

I have GW bending bars but have found that I need to clamp the middle with a tool clamp and it still flexes so I'm hoping this will allow neater folds.

Arrived today. Bit dusty but don't think it's ever been used. Cushty.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Arrived today. Bit dusty but don't think it's ever been used. Cushty.

The chap had plenty of good feedback, just those few blips put a bit of doubt in ones mind. Having said this when finding a gem I am more worried about the courrier loosing it

Still well done a great spot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bid on a possibly incomplete Stephen Poole 54xx part built loco and chassis and won it and there seemed to be a second pannier tank with chassis and wheels £31.67 including postage. It arrived quickly with another loco

The 54xx only had the cab started, brass frame chassis, missing its buffers and a couple of small cab side valve castings, complete with instructions for both body and chassis and original box

The other pannier is a Wills 1854 missing its buffer heads and roof (I also bought a Wills saddle tank also missing its roof). The pannier has a Wills cast chassis, 5 rusty P4 wheels and 3 axles and a X03 motor. The cast chassis will be sold on as I will buy an etched chassis

I bought from the same chap the day before a Wills County class loco body and a set of P4 loco wheels (no chassis and plastic tender wheels). Totally pristine just needs an etched chassis looks like Dave at SEF will be relieving me of some cash.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm posting this to apply a bit of balance regarding one of the sellers we like to gently chide, for their frequent use of the inaccurate phrase 'kit-built.'  Yes, Gostude!  

It has been remarked previously that he does have certain items on B-I-N for sensible prices.  In fact I've snorted-up a good few vent vans (no man can ever have too many), at decent prices over the years.  And, to give him his due, today's arrival, a no-frills Bachmann Class 40 (32-483, D338 GSYP), was a very reasonably priced, as described, promptly delivered and well communicated purchase. 

I pack locos with more finesse, but that's no grounds for a gripe as the parcel arrived undamaged (lack of waterproofing would have been a problem had the weather been different and the parcel left outside, but happily that didn't occur), so it's a Go Stude!  from me, well done!!!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

43 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

I'm posting this to apply a bit of balance regarding one of the sellers we like to gently chide, for their frequent use of the inaccurate phrase 'kit-built.'  Yes, Gostude!  

It has been remarked previously that he does have certain items on B-I-N for sensible prices.  In fact I've snorted-up a good few vent vans (no man can ever have too many), at decent prices over the years.  And, to give him his due, today's arrival, a no-frills Bachmann Class 40 (32-483, D338 GSYP), was a very reasonably priced, as described, promptly delivered and well communicated purchase. 

I pack locos with more finesse, but that's no grounds for a gripe as the parcel arrived undamaged (lack of waterproofing would have been a problem had the weather been different and the parcel left outside, but happily that didn't occur), so it's a Go Stude!  from me, well done!!!

When you look at his feedback he gets lots of good reviews, but they all tend to be low value

But his loco kits are priced very high, but worst of all uses higher quality manufacturers names on inferior products, or lists RTR locos that might have a a repaint or a few details added as kit built

Can remember one instance when he said may be DJH and there is a K's box in the background. !!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

Traitor!

Mike.

• Funny 9

It was not dirt cheap, but it really is a bargain in my opinion.

4mm scale to P4 standards Judith Edge kit built Kitson LMS  0-4-0.

The build quality is excellent and it runs beautifully.

The post behaved too and it arrived in Australia in 9 days which is quite amazing.

Regards,

Craig W

IMG_E0934.JPG

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

Craig

What a super loco, looks stunning and if it works as well as it looks it certainly looks a great buy. Usually we are tailing about either buying a kit or a RTR item at below par. But how can you put a price on something so beautifully built ?

I do have a few small industrial locos to build and sometimes its more challenging to build a smaller loco than a medium sized one, but the cost of the kit is just one aspect, wheels motor and gears can be equally if not more expensive, then either the saving of your own time or the expense of paying a competent builder

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

I missed that one, dirt cheap as you say

It came on at £30 with buy it now offer, so a cheeky offer went in and it was accepted. The body needs to come to bits, I have my suspicions on the frames,  but you could not buy the bits for that price!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

It came on at £30 with buy it now offer, so a cheeky offer went in and it was accepted. The body needs to come to bits, I have my suspicions on the frames,  but you could not buy the bits for that price!

I price up models that look a bit iffy the same way, what are the extras worth if the main part is a wreck

I could not let a nicely part built Southeastern Finecast A4 pass, for less than the set of the cost of the Markit drivers. Under £40. the main kit is unpainted with nice clean castings, looks complete but if I have to buy half a dozen castings I am still well in pocket

• Like 2