The human side of the railway...

Here are a few of the photos I have inherited from my late brother Steve.

Although Steve was younger than me he got fascinated by photography and got his first proper camera before I did.

post-7081-0-13050300-1473004667_thumb.jpg

Marble Arch approx 1981?   SJR

post-7081-0-03533700-1473004737_thumb.jpg

Sandown with 1936 tube stock set 041, 1981? SJR

post-7081-0-54328800-1473004920.jpg

Eastleigh Open Day 1975 with 4PEP set 4002 a class 33 and some flares,  SJR 20/4/75

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Seventh one looks like the north end of Leicester Midland.....

It is.  The train was a Leicester to Peterborough working, circa 1951, taken by my father JWFord.

It is on RMWeb in my black and white thread and also on my flickr site.

I'm not quite sure how it found its way into this thread, but I don't mind, I'm just pleased people like my photos..

David

Edited by DaveF

Something which is very much the human side of the railway in my experience from days past. Yet another skit on a well known original but 'well observed' I think although the language in the sub-titles is a bit on the strong side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S35lgLPXsts

You're very naughty Mike but I love those Downfall bits, if done well.

Plus, the last line is a mantra I live by.

C6T.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I belong to a facebook group in which people post photos etc. of Bulleid pacifics. A prolific poster is Nigel Kendall who has a superb archive of photos which he took back in the early 60s. This one I feel certainly meets the brief of this thread...this is his description of it. Edit..this is, of course, posted with his permission

'On a murky 28th May 1965 off-duty fireman Ronald Whittaker (RIP) chats with driver Charlie 'Happy' Gordon at Bournemouth Central. The loco is BB Pacific 34087 and the train is the 'Bournemouth Belle' Pullman to London Waterloo.

I was at college in Bournemouth in those days and I was always able to watch the departure of the 'Belle' before getting my own train home, which pulled in just after it left.'

post-6683-0-48234800-1473273118_thumb.jpeg

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 15

Don't know why, this picture touched me [or 'us', SWMBO and me]. Young man, with what in our family we call a 'Yum-Yum box', a way of life soon to be past etc.

She rarely comments on much here [we share] other to say 'Too clean....' or 'What colour green is that supposed to be ?? {vegetation} but we both looked at this one and said 'Oh...!'

Funny thing, memories, I wish we understood what was hard wired to the front of our brains.

We would not miss 'University Challenge'. A few weeks ago, a question on neural systems evoked my responses "synapse", "myelination" {Sp?] and "axon", words that have not consciously entered what passes for my 'mind' for 55 years. They earned all the bonus points.

What the [expletive] made that one picture trigger such a powerful reaction?

Doug

P.S. All of you [stationmaster zooms for'd] who can add flesh to the bones of these pictures, please continue to do so, porridge is porridge, but a little seasoning makes it 'tasty'.

D

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Taking advantage of a road closure for Level crossing resurfacing to renew a barrier boom side arm (Apologies to Reigate residents for the traffic chaos)

Lots of other work going on today at Redhill in the possession too (not pictured) including crossing renewals, IBJ renewals and sleeper renewals in the complex pointwork to the south of the station plus new signalling cables being run in as part of the Platform zero project. The tamping has been deferred to later as rail temperatures were reaching at least 35 degrees in the sunshine and there is too much risk of causing buckles to appear in such conditions.

post-658-0-78305200-1473613496_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-93145000-1473613511_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-36598400-1473613531_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-87533000-1473613549_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

P-P-P-p-painted lever handles?

Doug

No duster either!

Indeed. I was surprised by that, but didn't dare ask the question. If I remember correctly, the levers are LNW, the frame is GWR......

Edited by 96701