Bachmann nrm prototype deltic - spring 2013

Brian Grey

• RMweb Premium

I have an acquaintance who bought up most of the remaining first run NRM Deltics in order to clean up on ebay. He offered me one at cost and although I was tempted I resisted the temptation because I could not condone his actions. To date I don't think he has sold many, if any at all. If NRM go ahead and produce another run this person will end up with around 20 Deltics which will only be worth what the cost price is and his clean up will be a rather grubby failure. I will not buy one of his on principle and would rather buy one directly from the NRM. Nothing like a bit of come uppance to greedy people who try to exploit others.

I have an acquaintance who bought up most of the remaining first run NRM Deltics in order to clean up on ebay. He offered me one at cost and although I was tempted I resisted the temptation because I could not condone his actions. To date I don't think he has sold many, if any at all. If NRM go ahead and produce another run this person will end up with around 20 Deltics which will only be worth what the cost price is and his clean up will be a rather grubby failure. I will not buy one of his on principle and would rather buy one directly from the NRM. Nothing like a bit of come uppance to greedy people who try to exploit others.

Offer him a tenner.

Was there no restriction in place on quantites you could buy? I was quite suprised how quick the un weathered ones of the second run sold out, but your post answers that somewhat.

He's selling toy trains, not medicine. Let's get some perspective. If he had the money in the first place to buy the models and wanted to take the chance and making a few quid then good luck to him. If you don't like the prices he's charging then don't buy one off him, but let's not bring morals into it.

He's selling toy trains, not medicine. Let's get some perspective. If he had the money in the first place to buy the models and wanted to take the chance and making a few quid then good luck to him. If you don't like the prices he's charging then don't buy one off him, but let's not bring morals into it.

The above post has been sponsored by the Gostude Appreciation Society.

Thank you.

• RMweb Premium

If I want to moralise about something I will, it matters not a jot what a person is buying/selling, the idea was to create a demand by restricting peoples ability to get one from the NRM, and then make a big profit, some people have no problem with that and would say he is an entrepreneur, me, I call it greed. If it was one per person his box full certainly debunks that strategy.

I emailed the NRM to express my interest in one and got this....

"

Hi Sam

Thanks for your email. We have no current plans to produce anther run of Deltics this financial year, however I will forward your details to the Small Projects Manager who will note your interest.

If we do get enough people interested there is always the possibility that another run will be produced in the future, although until then no prices would be agreed on.

Regards

Nicola

NRM Retail Department

National Railway Museum

Leeman Road

York

YO26 4 XJ

nrm.shop@nrm.org.uk "

If I want to moralise about something I will, it matters not a jot what a person is buying/selling, the idea was to create a demand by restricting peoples ability to get one from the NRM, and then make a big profit, some people have no problem with that and would say he is an entrepreneur, me, I call it greed. If it was one per person his box full certainly debunks that strategy.

Maybe the guy works in a bank and was trying to create a "Futures Market" in model railways!

XF

• RMweb Gold

The above post has been sponsored by the Gostude Appreciation Society.

Thank you. Er..... before taking a swipe at the errant Gostude,his 'prices'are modest in comparison with some being demanded atm on e-bay. take,for instance ,current asking prices for Hornby rebuilt Bulleid Light Pacfics.

• RMweb Premium

From the NRM a few minutes ago, I have highlighted relevant section

Hi Andrew

Your name and email address is sufficient, we haven't a run planned at

all but if we get enough interested names we can certainly try for

another batch

Regards

Nicola

NRM Retail Department

National Railway Museum

Leeman Road

York

YO26 4 XJ

• 1 month later...

Apologies for making this my first post, I've decided to collect the NRM platinum editions as I think this is an excellent way of supporting the NRM and building a unique collection at the same time unfortunately I didn't manage to get the first model so I'm on the lookout for a first edition NRM Deltic with plinth must be mint and unused. I'm not prepared to pay ebay off rip money for one though am prepared to pay a reasonable amount and make a quick hassle free sale, if anyone knows where one is available please let me know. I can also part ex an as new standard edition or one in the wooden presentation box, both mint, as new and unused.

Thanks all,

Mike

• 4 months later...

I sent an email to NRM.Exclusivemodels@nrm.org.uk (it's case-sensitive) to express my interest in one of these and got the following automated reply:

Thank you for registering your interest in a Deltic Prototype Bachmann OO gauge working model in running livery. Once we have received enough interest to order the models, you will be one of the first to receive further information about release dates, prices and how to pre-order your model.

I'm not prepared to pay ebay off rip money for one though am prepared to pay a reasonable amount

Great - I thought that was how auctions on eBay worked - you choose your maximum purchase price - make your bid - and the 'market' decides if your price is right.  We have a similar system for buying and selling houses up here in Scotland.

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday at Ally Pally The friends of the NRM were canvassing interest in various new NRM models - it seems the level of interest will help decide what gets produced.  It includes 4 different 'Deltic' productions (presumably all on the 'ice cream cart' theme but possibly not.  So if you want anything in this line get in touch with the NRM as indicated a few posts above.

Maybe that's why the NRM are asking people what they want next?

You get nowhere by standing still, the NRM has to keep pushing forward with new ideas otherwise it will become stagnant and eventualy disapear. My thoughts as to what they could produce next would be Rocket with coaches. I don't think it would sell very well to the likes of people who read this (Although I'd have one) but would sell very well in the Museum to 'Jo Public'.

That was not really my point. My main point was as far as prototype Deltic models go there are very few sales to be had by the NRM. (Floging dead horses come to mind). I am sure if they appeared in main streamshops more sales could be had. Sell the Licence or maybe the NRM could take a cut of profits from each model sold in some way but at least the model would be making them some money although admitedley not as much as if it were sold through the NRM shop.

Got email yesterday they are offering -

The options at the moment are ;

OO gauge Pristine Deltic Prototype in Eastern Region Livery in either DCC Ready/DCC Fitted/Sound and/or a weathered version.

OO gauge Class 47 Prince William

OO gauge L & Y 2-4-2 Tank Engine No 1008 ( Pre Grouping Livery as NRM )

OO gauge L & Y 2-4-2 Tank Engine No 50621 ( BR Early Crest )

Brian grey

Archived