'The Works' my first layout and a foray into P4

johndon

On a bit of a roll tonight and I've finished adding the hanging basket liner to the grassed area at the front. Still needs a haircut and other foliage adding but it's one less piece of bare baseboard to be seen.

IMG_1311_zps9a81015d.jpg

On a hugely surprising note, the layout has just been invited to it's first exhibition albeit it's not until April 2014 so I'm in with half a chance of getting it finished :lol:

John

A new addition to the front of the layout that should help to give a sense of period to those who don't know when engines were blue...

IMG_1315_zps979fea68.jpg

also started weathering one of the sheds at the right hand end of the layout using black pastel chalk brushed on making sure all the brush strokes are vertical:

IMG_1320_zpse16496b1.jpg

John

Must be open day at the works, with all my current P4 locos on show (lots more in boxes awaiting conversion though)

They are, from left to right:

Bachmann Class 46 D186 which is waiting additional detailing, renumbering and weathering

Hornby Class 08 08671 which is fully finished (thanks to Cav)

Bachmann Class 40 40075 awaiting detailing

ViTrains Class 37 37141 which is waiting additional detailing, a possible full repaint as I don't like the shades of either yellow or blue and weathering

Bachmann Class 20 20076 which is fully finished (thanks to Cav again)

IMG_1323_zpsf2877bc5.jpg

IMG_1324_zps3941f628.jpg

John

Cheers David

Weathering continues on the low relief shed which has now gained handles and kick plates on it's doors:

IMG_1327_zpsa19f9383.jpg

Following a trip to York today, the works has joined the 21st century and gone DCC, came home with a Guagemaster controller as well as a Zimo decoder and sugar cube speaker for the 08, short video here:

John

I'm finding it great so far. The geek in me really wanted an ECoS but it would have been complete overkill both in terms of cost and functionality for such a small layout where there is only ever going to be one engine running at any given time.

John

Weathering of the shed has continued with the brick work completed and some additional, subtle, streaks of brown added. We also have a buffer stop on the right hand track, the other one will get a PH Designs one in the fullness of time:

IMG_1340_zps9bbbf850.jpg

John

One thing I've not done so far is post a pic of the overall layout so here it is:

IMG_1367_zps2861682b.jpg

The framework at the back will be covered and a 'through' line added to enable trains to shuttle back and forth while shunting does on at the front so the fiddle yard at the left will have 3 tracks entering from the main board and the right hand one will have two one of which is from the shed which will give the impression that the shed is longer that is shown and allows for wagons to be left in the shed to be worked on.

John

Had a very busy week work wise but got a little done today with the second buffer stop added in the sidings. It's from PH Designs and the sides and buffer bar were very kindly put together for me by Lee (allthingsblue), I've just glued the bar to the sides to ensure they were the right distance apart for the P4 track. Painted black with an initial weathering of brown pastel chalk...

IMG_1371_zps292d7db0.jpg

Diesel superpower visited the works today in the shape of Deltic 55020 Nimbus. I can't take credit for this one, it was purchased from Jon020 but still needs to be converted to P4 so is balancing on the track at the moment:

cfc58546-ea30-432b-9d87-3f62dbffe63d_zps

c1a40b3f-fb77-4375-9008-141bb965c450_zps

John

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on the shed that forms the scenic break at the left hand side of the layout. Brackets have been added for the gutters although I see in the pics they need trimming down a little and a down pipe has been added and weathering (this is heavy as the idea is that the shed has been out of use for some time) has started. The building is still removeable at this stage as the far side and roof still need the weathering treatment, you can also see hints of the 'picture frame' that will frame the front of the scene.

Pics are little difficult as this is right at the front of the layout so nothing to rest the camera on.

IMG_1403_zpsaf7be7f8.jpg

IMG_1405_zps8e965b2a.jpg

IMG_1402_zps1f2357bc.jpg

John

• 1 month later...

Progress has been a little slow recently although I have been building up my wagon collection with P4 conversions and 3 link couplings.

Here is a pic of my entire (!) fleet of P4 DCC locos, all 3 of them :) The 08 is sound fitted and the 20 is waiting for a speaker to be fitted:

IMG_1496_zps46349076.jpg

Next job it to get the shed on the left finished and weathered...

John

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived