Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

One thing I don't like with Hatton's is the practice of accumulative postage costs on magazines.

I ordered 2 magazines and both had a postage cost of £2 each which was added to total bill thus ended up being £4 postage, surely 2 magazines would have still been £2 postage or am I missing something here?

I have ordered many model rail items from Hatton's and with multiple items in the same package I was always charged £4 postage but not £4 for each item but this appears to be different with mags or books. 

One thing I don't like with Hatton's is the practice of accumulative postage costs on magazines.

I ordered 2 magazines and both had a postage cost of £2 each which was added to total bill thus ended up being £4 postage, surely 2 magazines would have still been £2 postage or am I missing something here?

I have ordered many model rail items from Hatton's and with multiple items in the same package I was always charged £4 postage but not £4 for each item but this appears to be different with mags or books. 

Does it go over the weight limit?

According to the website it's one small item or under 130 grams for £2.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/list/EventDetails.aspx?EventID=9

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Hi Classy52,

Magazines and similar publications (catalogues etc) qualify for our non-tracked £2 postage if ordered individually despite them being over the usual weight threshold. Orders containing multiple publications are dispatched on our standard tracked £4 service.

I hope this clarifies things for you but let me know if I can help any further.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Classy52,

Magazines and similar publications (catalogues etc) qualify for our non-tracked £2 postage if ordered individually despite them being over the usual weight threshold. Orders containing multiple publications are dispatched on our standard tracked £4 service.

I hope this clarifies things for you but let me know if I can help any further.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick response and clarifying, thus assume if there was 3 or more magazines within the order it would have still been £4 max postage charge as this would have covered the weight up to 1.8kg.

Apologies, was just having a blonde moment thinking each mag no matter how many ordered would still keep adding £2 postage for each one to the total bill....lol got to stop ordering stuff after 9pm and really need to  :rtfm:

Cheers

Steve 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick response and clarifying, thus assume if there was 3 or more magazines within the order it would have still been £4 max postage charge as this would have covered the weight up to 1.8kg.

Apologies, was just having a blonde moment thinking each mag no matter how many ordered would still keep adding £2 postage for each one to the total bill....lol got to stop ordering stuff after 9pm and really need to  :rtfm:

Cheers

Steve 

Hi Steve,

Yes, you've got it right - any additional publications (or indeed adding other items to the order) would still result in a £4 postage charge.

Cheers,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I put the order in at about 1am monday morning. Asked for special delivery next day before 1pm. Reason being im in for heart surgery on Thursday so only days I can accept delivery is today or tomorrow. normally id just pick the standard £4 option and it comes when it comes.

Website says order before 2pm for same day despatch. Wasn't sent yesterday so went on the chat thing this morning an was assured it would be sent today.

Roll on 5pm and no despatch note so I went on chat again and waited a good half hour with no response despite message being read.

k56v6.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I put the order in at about 1am monday morning. Asked for special delivery next day before 1pm. Reason being im in for heart surgery on Thursday so only days I can accept delivery is today or tomorrow. normally id just pick the standard £4 option and it comes when it comes.

Website says order before 2pm for same day despatch. Wasn't sent yesterday so went on the chat thing this morning an was assured it would be sent today.

Roll on 5pm and no despatch note so I went on chat again and waited a good half hour with no response despite message being read.

Good morning meatloaf,

I'm incredibly sorry about the delay on your order.

I am aware it was particularly busy on the Helpdesk after 5pm yesterday which may be why your chat wasn't responded to before we closed.

It will have transferred itself to an email which I'll have a look for now and investigate this further for you.

Once again I apologise about this but I'll see what's happening and someone will be in touch with you this morning.

Best wishes for tomorrow as well. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3

I popped in yesterday as I was in the area to pick up my Christmas present. This was Bachmann's GC liveried Director "Mons", a gorgeous model and good value at £123 in the sale. Collected a BR(WR) green liveried Heljan "Falcon" at the same time. Both these are new stock at prices one might pay on ebay for something pre-owned, perhaps even a bit less.

I'm very pleased having tested and examined them this morning, both absolutely perfect.

John.

• Like 1

just bought yesterday online, some blue/grey mk1s lima, on their site, only grumble I have is that the add to cart thing makes you come off the page with the listings, it would be better to have the function of adding to cart but stay on same page as listings so you can add more stuff instead of messing around. cheers.

Hi all,

Let me start by saying I've bought numerous items from Hattons over the years and been very happy, both with the items and the service.

Recently, I've started wondering if their pre-owned section is really that good value. Granted there are some unusual and good value items there from time to time but often I'm left wondering "why would I spend £X on a pre-owned item when brand new is not much more". I accept that livery etc comes into play, but if that isn't the deciding factor, there's often not much point - there are some items that are only £5 more expensive new if you're not adamant of a colour.

Also, how are prices worked out for older items, especially when there are multiple separate lots for essentially the same item. Obviously if something is damaged, has a part missing or a damaged/replacement box I understand the price being lower but some items are as new, but priced different.

This isn't meant to be critical, it just makes it difficult to decide if something pre-owned is a bargain or not!

Enfys

• Like 1

Hi all,

Let me start by saying I've bought numerous items from Hattons over the years and been very happy, both with the items and the service.

Recently, I've started wondering if their pre-owned section is really that good value. Granted there are some unusual and good value items there from time to time but often I'm left wondering "why would I spend £X on a pre-owned item when brand new is not much more". I accept that livery etc comes into play, but if that isn't the deciding factor, there's often not much point - there are some items that are only £5 more expensive new if you're not adamant of a colour.

Also, how are prices worked out for older items, especially when there are multiple separate lots for essentially the same item. Obviously if something is damaged, has a part missing or a damaged/replacement box I understand the price being lower but some items are as new, but priced different.

This isn't meant to be critical, it just makes it difficult to decide if something pre-owned is a bargain or not!

Enfys

Something is a bargain if you feel it is, it's subjective.  I got a rather lovely N class in Olive Green just recently from Hattons and I thought for the price it was a bargain for the model I received.

Hattons prices are higher than say Ebay but when you make a purchase from Hattons you have a much better expectation that what you are buying is what you are getting and you have your 14 day distance selling rights too.

There are other second hand places out there on the web and I've bought from a few, they also tend to be cheaper but they don't have the overheads of Hattons so i guess that makes a difference.

But there have been items i have seen on Hattons that i couldn't get elsewhere so have paid the price, at the end of the day we all have a choice and sometimes I choose Hattons, sometimes I choose somewhere else and sometimes I choose not to purchase from anywhere.

This was asked by someone else in the commissions thread but no answer before the Mods locked it.

Why have Hattons not had any new Bachmann stock in since 5th November.

The Royal Mail POT, the Scotrail DBSO etc are all conspicuous by their absence which only became clear at Warley when every other RTR trader had them for sale.

Should I be cancelling my Bachmann pre-orders and seeking out a new supplier?

This was asked by someone else in the commissions thread but no answer before the Mods locked it.

The Royal Mail POT, the Scotrail DBSO etc are all conspicuous by their absence which only became clear at Warley when every other RTR trader had them for sale.

Well I have done.It became clear to me a week ago that for some reason Hattons have not been supplied recently by Bachmann.

I messaged Hattons yesterday asking for an update as to when my pre ordered Europhoenix Class 37s might be available.

They were unable to give me an estimated date. The response when pushed was that they have had no indication from Bachmann as to when they can expect a delivery from Bachmann.

Make of that what you will.......seems unusual to me.

I'm not anti Hattons. I've had 40 years of excellent service from them and look forward to many more.

The 5th November was the same day Hattons added Kernow stock to their website, what's to say those Bachmann wagons didn't come from Kernow - and the previous Bachmann date was the start of the big sale on the 30th October.

However, it is not unknown for stock to not appear at the same time as other dealers - for example I got my Hornby Maunsell Restaurant car from Rails - I was two weeks after everyone else had theirs before mine came into stock at Rails so it simply could be a timing thing with Hattons too.  

Edited by woodenhead

I did lock it off as it was posted in the wrong area.

My understanding is that there are discussions between the parties looking to resolve any supply issues which may be affecting customers so we just need to let them get on with that.

• RMweb Premium

They are receiving deliveries my remaining Mk2f coaches arrived yesterday.

Mark

Which? Some did arrive with Hatton’s before the hiatus. I’ve had no notification whatsover from Hatton’s that the Mk2f TSO or BSO in B/G have been received.