Roco Z21

I've just ordered some of the feedback encoders from Digikeijs -   http://www.digikeijs...ack-module.html - as recommended above by M Graff (thanks again for the link).  I need enough ports for feedback from around 60 blocks so, as these units can take 16 inputs each, I needed only 4 units and a couple of extra cables.   All up around £195.  A good deal considering the same using the Roco feedback units would have meant buying 8 at around £70 each.

I also managed to sell on my Lenz LR101 feedback encoders which aren't compatible with the Z21, so a win win all round.  Looking forward to hooking these up and getting some trains running.  Next, hooking up over 50 Tortoise motors through Lenz LS150 decoders - deep joy!       

Alan

• Like 2

Z21, IPad and Train Controller. 

Having got some track laid on my new layout I spent a bit of time yesterday Experimenting.  Although all the droppers to the track power bus aren't in place yet I hooked up the track to the Z21 to do some testing. 

Put one of my sound locos on and played away with the Ipad - just great - works perfectly.  Next I got my laptop running Train Controller set up and hooked up to the Z21.  Absolutely marvellous!  As the laptop also hooks up wirelessly I can put it anywhere when working on battery power.  I made a small 'desk on wheels' for the laptop which can be pushed under the layout when it needs to be out of the way, or it can be rolled around anywhere in the room, fantastic - wireless control of trains on my iPad and a mobile control desk for the laptop.  Isn't technology great?

What is also great is that when i operate a loco function on the Z21 app, say turn the loco lights on, I also see the symbol light up in the Train Window in TC on the laptop, and vice versa, both systems working in perfect harmony.

I'm really looking forward to getting this layout fully operational with all this new tech stuff - great! 

Alan     

Edited by Alan Kettlewell
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Roco have an update for the Z21 in the app store. An iphone bugfix and

a bunch of new function icons - which still don't make immediate sense

plus an extra function so now 29 functions in total.

Keith

Roco have an update for the Z21 in the app store. An iphone bugfix and

a bunch of new function icons - which still don't make immediate sense

plus an extra function so now 29 functions in total.

Keith

What is the Version number?

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not directly as it's not in the Amazon app store but I read somewhere you can 'sideload' via a PC but no idea how that works. They say there are free tools to do it so I'd search the more reputable PC sites to see what they suggest. I use two of the cheapest Samsung tablets with mine so I can add handsets for £110-140 depending on the screen size. The tablets are most useful for control panels but the 6-7inch ones actually make good hand controllers in a protective case.

Ian, I use a Vodafone smart mini £32 from Sainsbury's with my Z21 and it works but there are some problems with android, so I am going to get an ipad if I can find a cheap one.

regards

mike g

• RMweb Gold

Ian, I use a Vodafone smart mini £32 from Sainsbury's with my Z21 and it works but there are some problems with android, so I am going to get an ipad if I can find a cheap one.

regards

mike g

Mike, what are the issues? I know the Point control part is slower on the Android app but are there any issues with the loco control as that's a nice cheap handset.

Ian, its mainly the point control, can be a bit intermitant, also the direction of locos can vary and if you do not want to change CV29 cannot be changed in to loco settings although it says you can. Generally the locos seem to go in the direction of the photo but some are in reverse for forward on other systems and as I use the prodigy and e-link on other layouts it can be a bit alarming when they go opposite to what you expect. 

There was a layout using a Z21 at the East of England show last weekend and I asked if they had any problems and the answer was not since we changed to apple from android!

regards

mike g

Hi 

I have been reading this topic with great interest and hope one of you Z21 experts can give me some answers!

At the moment I am using Digitrax DCS200, BDL168's for detection, DS64 and CML for points , PM42's for current overload. Also Traincontroller software. O gauge layout, perhaps 5 train running at once.

I would very much like to upgrade to a Z21 and use RailCom for train identification. I would need to continue to use all of the devices on loconet but am unclear as to whether they will work. I gather from previous posts that I can't utilise the DCS200 and use Railcom.

Thanks in anticipation!

Richard

Hi 

I have been reading this topic with great interest and hope one of you Z21 experts can give me some answers!

At the moment I am using Digitrax DCS200, BDL168's for detection, DS64 and CML for points , PM42's for current overload. Also Traincontroller software. O gauge layout, perhaps 5 train running at once.

I would very much like to upgrade to a Z21 and use RailCom for train identification. I would need to continue to use all of the devices on loconet but am unclear as to whether they will work. I gather from previous posts that I can't utilise the DCS200 and use Railcom.

Thanks in anticipation!

Richard

Not sure how well the Z21 has implemented LocoNet, when I looked at it (some time ago) a lot of LocoNet devices didn't play well. But possibly some upgrades to the Z21 have improved things.  I'd be fearful for your BDL168's as they can be sensitive to things not being "right" and can be damaged if things are wrong. 

It *is* possible to do RailCom with Digitrax equipment, but needs third party hardware.   I have a DCC4PC RailCom Cutout device (around £60) which will add the RailCom cutout to the output from a Digitrax command station.    This produces the "short" RailCom cutout because the pre-amble on Digitrax equipment isn't long enough for a "long" cutout.  This is sufficient for single loco identification within a block, but not other RailCom data.    You may want to check the current handling with DCC4PC, as my hardware (a Zephyr) is much lower current than you have with the DCS200.

For RailCom communication with software, I have built two Hans De Loof designed RailCom reading devices which read the loco address from a block, and transmit the address over LocoNet as a (Digitrax) Transponding message.   Thus, a loco with a RailCom decoder (eg. Zimo, ESU, Lenz, etc) appears as if it has Transponding, and software can subsequently deal with it.    This works seamlessly into JMRI software, but I don't know if TrainController can handle Transponding messages or not as I don't use TrainController. 

-  Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Anyone in the market for a Z21 wanting to save quite a few quid, be quick...

http://www.hobb-e-mail.com/roco-10820-madness.html

Tempted myself but as touchcab looks like it's going to continue I'm going to keep my lenz 100 set or I'd be going for it myself

Looking at the Hobby Shop (my local hobby shop) website somebody has got in quick, its disappeared from the website!

Keith

Are you using iPad  or Android?  There seem to be a few quirks and problems with the Android app,  but very few problems reported with the Apple app.  I have a Samsung Android tablet and suffer from numerous intermittent and vague problems which unfortunately I have just had to learn to live with,  but it can be quite frustrating.

• RMweb Gold

Do you have the latest version? It's not an issue I've had on the iPhone, I've got three running the app. Try double tapping the home button and swiping the Z21 app closed then reopen it to see if that clears it. We have had occasional lock ups on the older versions of the app and this sorted it but the latest hasn't suffered from this at all.

Is the wifi signal good as you can usually watch what you're doing on another handset set to the same loco so there's obviously two way info between base and all the handsets.

The Android app is more unstable and I find I need to reboot it if it freezes and after using the track control centre plus over a couple of days the routes can start to play up and not change every point.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if it's the 6 that's the issue, I'm using two 4's & a 5. It might not yet be optimised with all the bugs ironed out from the new stuff the 6 does with touch. They've already done one fix on that.

Report the issues via the Z21 website and they will look into it. Takes a while to get a response and a bug fix in place but they've been very good so far on sorting the glitches.

I reported a couple of bugs in the past and they already knew about them and fixed them in the next update.