Hornby's 2013 Announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

2126 posts, 86 pages and only a couple of early posts mention what Hornby consider their most important release this year (judging by what they say in this weeks stock market press release).

The new computer control system looks very clever but the railway I model was analogue so I'll be a lot more interested in the Cobalt-S lever switches...........

"Weak consumer spending in our traditional business" - A chicken and egg situation if there ever was one. They can't sell what hasn't arrived.

Reading between the lines, could it also mean "All the new LNER stuff we are making isn't shifting as well as new Southern stuff used to?

Reading between the lines, could it also mean "All the new LNER stuff we are making isn't shifting as well as new Southern stuff used to?

Not through lack of effort on my part! I'm in a minority though, as I prefer my LNER stock to have 'LNER' on the side, not that funny little lion on a unicycle.

For me, the most important Hornby release of 2013 isn't due until last quarter, so I've got a bit of a wait even if it is on time.

Not through lack of effort on my part! I'm in a minority though, as I prefer my LNER stock to have 'LNER' on the side, not that funny little lion on a unicycle.

For me, the most important Hornby release of 2013 isn't due until last quarter, so I've got a bit of a wait even if it is on time.

On time ? Wishful thinking me thinks.

Well the 2-Bils seem to be on time, hope the P2 and Duke of Gloucester can be too.

Design Clever models might have a shorter development time?

They may do.  Who can say (except Hornby) what they may have done to streamline processes or speed up drawing to pattern-making time?

Of course, there may be another dimension - which is to announce models later in the devlopment process and therefore nearer to their release.

• RMweb Gold

They may do.  Who can say (except Hornby) what they may have done to streamline processes or speed up drawing to pattern-making time?

Of course, there may be another dimension - which is to announce models later in the devlopment process and therefore nearer to their release.

I understand from someone I have recently spoken to that manufacture of the 2 BILs was completed several months ago, which would seem to correspond with the fact that they were announced on page 1 of this thread in the following way - ' Evidence of this comes in the form of the 2-BIL headlined above which is ready to go on sale imminently!' 

Clearly there can be many a container and shipping schedule slip twixt production line and shop display but the fact that they have reportedly now arrived in Margate (where Hornby already have them on sale of course) and will be distributed to retailers in the next week or so suggests that they were announced to us a very long way down the development and manufacturing process.  Fortunately I don't want one but I have today seen more, very recent, photos of one and they look very impressive and were described as such - so the very best of luck to those who are hoping to be able to buy one.

• RMweb Gold

I understand from someone I have recently spoken to that manufacture of the 2 BILs was completed several months ago, which would seem to correspond with the fact that they were announced on page 1 of this thread in the following way - ' Evidence of this comes in the form of the 2-BIL headlined above which is ready to go on sale imminently!' 

Clearly there can be many a container and shipping schedule slip twixt production line and shop display but the fact that they have reportedly now arrived in Margate (where Hornby already have them on sale of course) and will be distributed to retailers in the next week or so suggests that they were announced to us a very long way down the development and manufacturing process.  Fortunately I don't want one but I have today seen more, very recent, photos of one and they look very impressive and were described as such - so the very best of luck to those who are hoping to be able to buy one.

When you were talking to your retailer today did you mention the 72xx delays Mike and the likely appearance of them.

...Reading between the lines, could it also mean "All the new LNER stuff we are making isn't shifting as well as new Southern stuff used to?

Cheeky, neither you nor they know that yet because much if it has only just got here for sale, and they had a competitor with goods on sale against the A1 and B1. Alternative proposed measure: Southern can be considered to sell well when it gets duplicates.

• RMweb Gold

Cheeky, neither you nor they know that yet because much if it has only just got here for sale, and they had a competitor with goods on sale against the A1 and B1. Alternative proposed measure: Southern can be considered to sell well when it gets duplicates.

With the exception of 'iconic' prototypes (A4s - I note the lack of an alternative model of 'Flying Moneypit'), duplication is usually a sign that a manufacturer has failed to bring a popular model up to improving standards.

One of the "Big Two" has, until recently, shown a marked reluctance to produce or upgrade Southern stuff despite demand for a certain 2-6-0 being sufficient to ensure that a new version appears in almost every catalogue.

The other has done very well out of Southern steam models so far this century but seems to be 'resting' at present which might not have been the case had they genuinely feared their main competitor might jump in with the loco that topped last years wish-list poll.

As a result, my spending on their products, which has averaged over £1000 pa for the last decade, will be less than £300 in 2013.

My modelling interests don't stretch to electrics so I will be adding a blue-boxed '2H' to my fleet rather than a red-boxed '2-BIL'

Announcing products ahead of availability is a usual activity for consumer products, the intention being to generate interest (seen on RMWeb as frothing), create advance orders and make people wait for your product rather than buy another.

Of course, they run the risk of opinions about the products being expressed by people without any actual knowledge of what the thing really is or does. Perhaps "wait and see" might be appropriate on occassion.

• RMweb Gold

While the annual announcement is inevitably full of surprises, the news that the 2-BIL is already in the UK, meaning the development and advanced prototyping must have been done quite a while ago, despite the RMweb jungle drums not seeming to get any smell of it, must be a source of satisfaction to Hornby. Trade secrets can clearly still be kept.

After the war the LNER decided to specifically EXCLUDE namings related to weapons of war - that's why Tornado was such an inappropriate choice, but a good one, nevertheless.

Surely hurricanes, tornados and thunderbolts are all meteorological phenomena? ;)

Announcing products ahead of availability is a usual activity for consumer products, the intention being to generate interest (seen on RMWeb as frothing), create advance orders and make people wait for your product rather than buy another.

Of course, they run the risk of opinions about the products being expressed by people without any actual knowledge of what the thing really is or does. Perhaps "wait and see" might be appropriate on occassion.

Were you referring to "design clever" there Jol !!!!!

Or have we finally got the gist of what it actually means. Moulded on handrails and moulded on roof vents.

While i am talking about design clever (again) might Hornby consider colouring sprung buffers in future ? I have been repainting a Hornby van C from Southern green into weathered BR crimson, and really wonder what the Margate designers think vehicle buffers look like. Sparkly silver belongs on Christmas trees and the only buffers with a remotely shiny element are hydraulic examples, just the shanks of those.  Far more realistic finish would be black to match the rest of the vehicle underframe, although mine have received a coat of acrylic Revell "lederbraun" prior to some gunmetal.

• RMweb Gold

The latest from Hattons is mid March, I'm suprised Stationmaster's retailer does not know, it my local store I've one on pre-order, Uncle Bob is normally well up to speed with information on new products but like most of us regarding these loco's he's properbly pee'd off  they were not in his store for Christmas and has stopped telling anyone when they MIGHT turn up so as not to brass anyone off even more.

81C 

I suspect you're right - as it happens I didn't ask him but then he didn't tell me either so I'm still presuming the March date which seems to be the most recent Hornby (gu)estimate.  Not to worry they'll be here when they arrive but I got the impression that Bob's pre-orders are pretty tight on the quantity he's ordered.

I bet it's rehash of the old Trang one "designed Clever" complete with ribbed wheels to make that funny noise. :jester:

81C

:nono:  :no:  (Bob had an example running on the layout upstairs a little while back and was mighty impressed by it)

• RMweb Gold

Were you referring to "design clever" there Jol !!!!!

Or have we finally got the gist of what it actually means. Moulded on handrails and moulded on roof vents.

While i am talking about design clever (again) might Hornby consider colouring sprung buffers in future ? I have been repainting a Hornby van C from Southern green into weathered BR crimson, and really wonder what the Margate designers think vehicle buffers look like. Sparkly silver belongs on Christmas trees and the only buffers with a remotely shiny element are hydraulic examples, just the shanks of those.  Far more realistic finish would be black to match the rest of the vehicle underframe, although mine have received a coat of acrylic Revell "lederbraun" prior to some gunmetal.

Assuming you took the body off to repaint it, can you tell me how?

I want to get inside to fit etched window bars but can't find any sign of clips or screws holding it all together.

Thanks in anticipation.

John 

Assuming you took the body off to repaint it, can you tell me how?

I want to get inside to fit etched window bars but can't find any sign of clips or screws holding it all together.

Thanks in anticipation.

John 

Hi John

Nothing so "clever" I'm afraid. I've brush painted the bodyshell panel by panel with Humbrol BR Crimson, then painted the underframe, wheels etc Revell Aqua "Lederbraun", and the roof a medium grey. More thin washes of weathering, and some powders coming up.

There are clips at each corner behind the buffer beams which appear to lock the bodyshell onto the underframe.

Guest Belgian

John 

Are you very little then?

JE

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

Nothing so "clever" I'm afraid. I've brush painted the bodyshell panel by panel with Humbrol BR Crimson, then painted the underframe, wheels etc Revell Aqua "Lederbraun", and the roof a medium grey. More thin washes of weathering, and some powders coming up.

There are clips at each corner behind the buffer beams which appear to lock the bodyshell onto the underframe.

Thanks Phil,

Misread your original post, the Van C is quite easy to dismantle - I am attempting the bogie one.

Having decided that all the fixings must be hidden I got my Hornby coach opening tool (a Tamiya paint stirrer with the last 4mm bent to a right angle) and set to work.

For anyone else who wants to get the Van B apart, there are clips inside the outermost of each pair of doors which are released in the same way as the centre clip on most newer Hornby coaches. Great care is required as whatever tool is used, it has to pass under the door immediately above the footboard. I didn't damage anything but I don't think I'd have got away with it using a straight blade.

Once released, the body still won't come off as there is a dab of black adhesive between the floor and the underside of the guard's compartment. It is quite stretchy and eventually lets go. I suspect it may have more to do with stopping rattles than anything else.

John

Edited due to biting the bullet and getting on with the job !

Archived