Hornby's CCT

phil gollin

Hornby have announced a new CCT model.

There are two links to the "BR" version which seem to contradict each other.

This one ;

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/2013-range/wagons/r6641-br-4-wheel-cct-van/

States its period as "the 1980s" which IMPLIES that it will be blue ( ????? )

---------

Whilst this one ;

https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/News/New_Hornby_2013_passenger_stock/

States it is Maroon (and "- BR Parcels Van (2 variants) Maroon. " )

Can anyone clarify the colour and date,

Thanks.

Cant recall seeing these in the late 70's RCTS number books. I thought last npcss stock ex LMS were the Stanier BG's with a number having their gangways removed.

I would plum for early mid seventies, with some in departmental service perhaps?

Ian

1974 RCTS Coaching Stock Book shows 177 LMS CCTs, in the number range 35582 to 37327. Apart from the LM, some were allocated to the Eastern and Western Regions. In 1976 there were still 173. Sorry, don't have any later RCTS books.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A note of caution here folks - not all LMS CCTs were the same!

The prototype photo accompanying Hornby's announcement shows a Diagram 1929 van - these were numbered in the 35474-35598 series, built from 1935 onwards. I have the 1974 and 1976 RCTS Coaching Stock books, and 35582 and 35587 of this type are listed in 1974; just 35582 in 1976. The other LMS CCTs listed (numbered 37000 upwards, built from 1938) were to Diagram 2026, and differ in having no windows, and external angle iron body framing. Both types are available as kits from Parkside.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

The prototype photo accompanying Hornby's announcement shows a Diagram 1929 van - these were numbered in the 35474-35598 series, built from 1935 onwards. I have the 1974 and 1976 RCTS Coaching Stock books, and 35582 and 35587 of this type are listed in 1974; just 35582 in 1976. The other LMS CCTs listed (numbered 37000 upwards, built from 1938) were to Diagram 2026, and differ in having no windows, and external angle iron body framing. Both types are available as kits from Parkside.

I agree, we don't know what they are doing at the moment. Will just have to wait. As mentioned, no problems having them in blue.

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Premium

One managed to get RTC red/blue:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsparcels/h1948338f#h12544032

Put a fiver on Modelzone doing that one as a Limited Edition. I can hear the tidal wave of froth from Ebay Carpetbaggers already.....

The CCT's of the later type, which lasted into the late 1970s- curiously, many were built at Swindon, some years after nationalisation.

The Insulfish, sadly, seems to be of the version with LNER-style brakegear, already represented by Hornby-Dublo/Wrenn/Dapol and Parkside, rather than the version with BR brakegear. The roof looks a bit too curved, though this might be down to the photograph.

I presume both are 3D prints from CAD, rather than injection mouldings?

We don't seem to have mentioned that a photograph of the model has been released by Hornby, and it is the later 'non window' design, which lasted in some numbers - there are 172 listed in

Mallaband, P. & Bowles, L. J. (1977) The coaching stock of British Railways 1976. Pub RCTS, 140pages, ISBN 0 901115 39 4.

There are non in the 1981 book.

Many of these were built by BR in the mid 1950s.

Paul Bartlett

OOPS all waking up and posting similar comments!

Edited by hmrspaul

• RMweb Gold

i agree the Hornby model appears to be the later Diag 2026, numbered in the M37XXXM range.

I have the earlier LMS CCT from Parkside and has the high windows Paul mentions.

I remember seeing long lines of the Diag 2026 vans at Swindon works open day in 1979 awaiting scrapping, so the cull was in full swing then.

From memory a fair few were modified as car carrying vehicles, my 1970s RCTS books are not at hand today.

Neil

i agree the Hornby model appears to be the later Diag 2026, numbered in the M37XXXM range.

I have the earlier LMS CCT from Parkside and has the high windows Paul mentions.

I remember seeing long lines of the Diag 2026 vans at Swindon works open day in 1979 awaiting scrapping, so the cull was in full swing then.

From memory a fair few were modified as car carrying vehicles, my 1970s RCTS books are not at hand today.

Neil

How were they "modified" to carry cars? That is what a CCT was built to do.

Yes at least 3 of the  condemned examples at Swindon in 1979 are in my collection, e.g http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsparcels/e104320f4  As you say, the cull was well underway at that time, despite the external condition being good. For some reason it was the Southern wooden vans, both 4 wheel and bogie which seem to have been favoured by survival into the 1980s.

Going OT, in Mallaband, P. & Bowles, L. J. (1982) British Rail Coaching stock 1981. Pub RCTS, 128pages, ISBN 901115 51 7. the only LMS hauled stock remaining are 174 bogie brakes (and 5 exhibition vans); the GWR is reduced to 16 Siphon Gs as Newspaper vans and the LNER is not mentioned. The SR on the otherhand has 93 Bogie brake, one bogie GUV and  729 (I calculate!) of 4 wheel PMV and CCT. 

Paul Bartlett

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

Good afternoon. This is my first post. However, the photograph of the fish van shown on the Hornby 2013 new issues page is of the diagram 801 fish vans built at Faverdale from 1959 to 1961. This is the BR version with BR type 8 shoe clasp brake with ex.GW body styling and bracing, also being built from new with Timken roller bearings.  Currently there is NOT a model of this available in 4mm. and Hornby must be congratulated in filling the void in the fish train formations by this introduction because they played a major part in such trains from their onset until the end of the fish traffic on the railways.

Hi serron and welcome.

Yes, the prototype photo Hornby used to announce the 2013 program showed a diagram 801 van, however the photo of an engineering prototype of the model they have since shown is of a diagram 800 van which is already available as a kit and from Dapol.

Good afternoon. This is my first post. However, the photograph of the fish van shown on the Hornby 2013 new issues page is of the diagram 801 fish vans built at Faverdale from 1959 to 1961. This is the BR version with BR type 8 shoe clasp brake with ex.GW body styling and bracing, also being built from new with Timken roller bearings.  Currently there is NOT a model of this available in 4mm. and Hornby must be congratulated in filling the void in the fish train formations by this introduction because they played a major part in such trains from their onset until the end of the fish traffic on the railways.

Sadly, in the views of the engineering prototypes for the CCT and the Insulfish (post 13 in this thread), the CCT is the later type, whilst the Insulfish is the earlier one.

Pity about the diagram 801 though because they hit the major fish trains in considerable numbers after their introduction.

They also made up most of the SPV conversions, only a handful of diagram 800s seem to have made it into Rail Blue.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...