Hornby's 2013 Announcements

Andy Y

Seemingly lost amongst all the brouhaha over "design clever" seems to be the fact that some models (e.g. the GWR Stars) will be permanently coupled. For those who model finescale and/or have the necessary radius for close locmotive-tender coupling, I wonder how easy it would be to alter this permanent connection?

• RMweb Gold

Seemingly lost amongst all the brouhaha over "design clever" seems to be the fact that some models (e.g. the GWR Stars) will be permanently coupled. For those who model finescale and/or have the necessary radius for close locmotive-tender coupling, I wonder how easy it would be to alter this permanent connection?

I assume this will be like the coupling deployed on the O1 that whilst permanent (to over come complaints about having to connect and disconnect the tender wiring plug) has adjustment for the gap between loco and tender.

• RMweb Gold

With respect to the release of R3160XS Rebuilt West Country Class No.34046 “Braunton” DCC Sound fitted in BR Brunswick Late Crest livery; for this period 34046 would have been paired to a rebodied 5250 gallon tender not currently tooled by Hornby so this release is likely to appear as 34108 Wincanton instead.

• RMweb Gold

I have close-coupled a number of Bulleid Pacifics by the simple (but not necessarily quick) expedient of fitting a new pin made from a brass screw with a bit of tube soldered over it, further back on the tender. Depending how complex the link is, something similar should be possible. However, they could do it the Bachmann way and make the drawbar adjustable.

• RMweb Gold

It's a real shame that Hornby have decided to duplicate the type that has already been covered (twice) rather than going for a similar but different version. I think it's unlikely that Hornby will do two different versions. The later type was some 6" narrower than the early one and had different brakegear.

I'm not too well up on Fish vans, is that the one with the GWR-style strapping on the ends?

Guest jim s-w

The finescale types wont see it as a problem. They will most likely be changing a fair bit more than that anyway.

Cheers

Jim

I'm not too well up on Fish vans, is that the one with the GWR-style strapping on the ends?

Yes, if you look at page 1 of this thread there is a photo of one in later life as an SPV, although the end isn't particularly clear.

As a Southern modeller I am satisfied with one new locomotive. Historically an emu is a better investment than any other type of locomotive. I also look forward to seeing new versions of Southern items that I missed last year like the B Van, the Maunsell Pull-Push and the unconverted Maunsell Open 3rd. I and many other Southern modellers have taken the advice given on other posts of buying kits of the Adams Radial and Q Class and a ready to run 700 class from the 00 Works. Unfortunately not all of us can build a kit built locomotive. I gave up on the Ks Adams Radial when the motor burnt out on the first test run and I had to pay Crownline to professionally build my Q Class.

I do not know why Hornby are not making the BR Mk 1s in BR S green. Is it because Hornby has seen the poor sales of the Bachmann versions or perhaps Hornby will bring them out in 2014.

And if only I wasn't dyslexic too! But hey, never mind - we got there in the end!

Hello James,

sorry for any misunderstands between us, here's a couple of photos of a P2 that I did out of a Proscale kit over twenty years ago.

post-8920-0-27429700-1356105378_thumb.jpg

post-8920-0-94378500-1356105419_thumb.jpg

If anyone wants to see any more please ask.

OzzyO.

Simon's just sent over some images of early samples of the LMS CCT and LNER Fish van.

post-1-0-53403500-1356085129_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-94772500-1356085132_thumb.jpg

Some separate components are omitted at this stage but the shape principles are there.

The fish van looks to me to have opening doors, and to be the worse for it

Ed

The later type had additional cross members on the ends which was how the GWR did things. They also had additional bracing on the sides and as mentioned before were narrower and so had a slightly different roof profile. Also they had BR 8 shoe clasp brakes instead of the LNER clasp braking system. I suspect the redisgn was to make all of the bracing for the body external making it easier to insulate and allowing a narrower design with the same storage capacity. Both were basically LNER designs. Courtesy of Mr Bartlett's wonderful site:

Orignal BR design

Later BR design

I do think that Hornby have rather missed a trick with this. I'm sure that a lot of people who will buy the model couldn't give a monkey's about which of the two diagrams it represents so as far as they are concerned it didn't matter which of the two types was made. Instead of thinking about those who do and complementing what is already avaliable by producing the later type Hornby have effectively provided something that has already been done either as an old RTR model or Parkside's kit. I'm aware that Hornby's core market doesn't really consist of those who do care about such things as different BR fish van diagrams but to me this was a win win situation that they seem to have missed. In this case they could have produced the later type and pleased everyone. All this assumes of course that Hornby know that there are two different types of van, perhaps from the photo on page 1 of this thread of the later type they don't.

Personally I buy very little RTR, prefering kits, but was quite pleased to see the afformentioned picture on the product announcement and would have brought two or three to go with the ex LNER and BR Parkside kits I have. I feel ever so slightly disappointed now I learn that Hornby aren't producing the later type but I doubt Hornby will be disapointed with the loss of my two or three sales. Perhaps instead of 'design clever' Hornby could think about 'reasearch clever' or 'product choice clever' instead.

Anyway rant over. It could be worse, I could model the SR and not be very well catered for. :)

The later type had additional cross members on the ends which was how the GWR did things. They also had additional bracing on the sides and as mentioned before were narrower and so had a slightly different roof profile. Also they had BR 8 shoe clasp brakes instead of the LNER clasp braking system. I suspect the redisgn was to make all of the bracing for the body external making it easier to insulate and allowing a narrower design with the same storage capacity. Both were basically LNER designs. Courtesy of Mr Bartlett's wonderful site:

Orignal BR design

Later BR design

I do think that Hornby have rather missed a trick with this. I'm sure that a lot of people who will buy the model couldn't give a monkey's about which of the two diagrams it represents so as far as they are concerned it didn't matter which of the two types was made. Instead of thinking about those who do and complementing what is already avaliable by producing the later type Hornby have effectively provided something that has already been done either as an old RTR model or Parkside's kit. I'm aware that Hornby's core market doesn't really consist of those who do care about such things as different BR fish van diagrams but to me this was a win win situation that they seem to have missed. In this case they could have produced the later type and pleased everyone. All this assumes of course that Hornby know that there are two different types of van, perhaps from the photo on page 1 of this thread of the later type they don't.

Personally I buy very little RTR, prefering kits, but was quite pleased to see the afformentioned picture on the product announcement and would have brought two or three to go with the ex LNER and BR Parkside kits I have. I feel ever so slightly disappointed now I learn that Hornby aren't producing the later type but I doubt Hornby will be disapointed with the loss of my two or three sales. Perhaps instead of 'design clever' Hornby could think about 'reasearch clever' or 'product choice clever' instead.

Yes, having recently re-chassied half a dozen Dapols with Parkside underframes - Grrr :banghead: - but I can spend the money on more covhops instead !

That's the strange railway south of the Thames. The other railway which for much of its course runs south of the Thames had its main works c.11 miles south of the Thames adjacent to an ancient Saxon hilltop settlement which gradually grew to become the place we today know as Swindon.

Which brings us back to the Hornby 'Star' which according to some websites is available as either DCC Ready or DCC Fitted in the two versions which Hornby are selling through normal outlets. The Swindon 'Steam' version is definitely DCC Ready (only) and the price - just confirmed with the Museum - is £144.95 plus postage; the extra £10 is for their special box and certificates etc included with the loco and no doubt also helps with the museum's funds. Steam are already taking orders mine being No.15, a few minutes ago, but at present it is 'pay at time of order' although they might change that after 'Western Enterprise' arrives and has been despatched.

How can you tell your number 15?

I ordered mine on the same day so would be interesting to know where i am to see how many people are snapping it up.

• RMweb Gold

How can you tell your number 15?

I ordered mine on the same day so would be interesting to know where i am to see how many people are snapping it up.

Because when I rang and ordered mine 14 had already been ordered - hence mine was the 15th order, simples. And at that stage Steam were quite pleased with the reaction and ordering rate.

However that does not necessarily mean I will get Certificate No.15 (and to be blunt that doesn't worry me in the slightest as I'm not a certificate grabber or anything like that). If the certificate system works in the same way as it did with 7037 my 'Star's certificate will be numbered somewhere between No.1 and the highest number because the certificates are inside the box and presumably Steam will simply despatch them as they open the box (of boxes, if you follow my meaning). One of my 7037s was about the 10th to be ordered and I think the certificate is somewhere in the 100s or 200s, the other one was one of the last they sold and I haven't got the faintest idea what the certificate number is.

Anyway rant over. It could be worse, I could model the SR and not be very well catered for. :)

In actual fact, of the three "wagons", the LMS CCT is the only new RTR item then. Likewise the Mk1s and the Hall are "reissues".

Jon, I agree with you on the "research clever" notion, and wonder whether SK and his team actually do take any heed at all of the various annual wishlists. I mean, what is it about GW and LMS non corridors, and grain hoppers and steel carriers that they don't understand :no:

To be honest the Hornby 2013 list is becoming increasingly bizarre to me, and probably to Parkside too.

R3160XS Braunton had a tender not tooled by Hornby. The release is likely to appear as Wincanton. I am modelling the Swanage Railway. Both Braunton and Wincanton ran on it but it is of academic interest to me because I have not got a digital layout. Why cannot Hornby make a 12 volt version with the same name?

R3160XS Braunton had a tender not tooled by Hornby. The release is likely to appear as Wincanton. I am modelling the Swanage Railway. Both Braunton and Wincanton ran on it but it is of academic interest to me because I have not got a digital layout. Why cannot Hornby make a 12 volt version with the same name?

Or you could buy one and take the decoder out. A recent study showed that for every complaint from a DCC user who wanted loco X with sound when it was only available with loco Y, there was another from a DC user who wanted loco Y but without DCC when only loco X was available. Net result = zero.

• RMweb Premium

Or you could buy one and take the decoder out. A recent study showed that for every complaint from a DCC user who wanted loco X with sound when it was only available with loco Y, there was another from a DC user who wanted loco Y but without DCC when only loco X was available. Net result = zero.

Probably a good market on eBay...

Personally I buy very little RTR, prefering kits, but was quite pleased to see the afformentioned picture on the product announcement and would have brought two or three to go with the ex LNER and BR Parkside kits I have.

Same here, and the only thing I can think of is that the earlier version has more potential liveries which makes better commercial sense? (eg, BR version can only be produced in BR liveries, whereas the LNER one can be produced in all of those and LNER). But I don't know my fish van liveries so I could be totally wrong.

I think he means that there is quite a big gap under the door.

But I can't see one down the middle of the doors where the opening will need to occur...? As a 'sample' I am assuming there are a few things to fettle yet.

• RMweb Gold

Is this official?

With respect to the release of R3160XS Rebuilt West Country Class No.34046 “Braunton” DCC Sound fitted in BR Brunswick Late Crest livery; for this period 34046 would have been paired to a rebodied 5250 gallon tender not currently tooled by Hornby so this release is likely to appear as 34108 Wincanton instead.

Archived