Hunslet class 05

Michael Delamar

• RMweb Premium

The cab looks odd to me. But then I have only seen one real 05, THE 05.

The Heljan offering is the later batch with the large high cab. D2574 upwards. Easily recognised with horizontal section of glass along the top edge of the side windows.

If you are referring to the IOW D2554/05001, it has a lower cab.

There's a good pic of D2578 here

There are quite a few variations amongst the class - cab, buffers, round/square cornered cab windows, external radiator pipes, etc. Plenty of info earlier in the thread. Never mind an even bigger multitude of variations amongst industrial examples of the same basic design

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Sorry if this is a silly question, but where is the exhaust on a Class 05? I can't see anything suitable on the photos of the Heljan one, apart from the obvious chimney thing on Cider Queen.

The exhaust pipe is located towards the front left (when looking from the cab) of the bonnet top. It's quite short. D2554/05001 gained an extension tube about 12" long.

https://www.flickr.com/search?text=hunslet%20d2554&sort=relevance

Cheers,

Mick

Sorry if this is a silly question, but where is the exhaust on a Class 05? I can't see anything suitable on the photos of the Heljan one, apart from the obvious chimney thing on Cider Queen.

It's just to the side of the front bonnet top handrail at the front of the loco. It is on the model if you look closely. The Chimney was a dummy put on by Bulmers to fit in with having GWR 6000 KGV and it's copper capped chimney. The one on the model of Cider Queen should be accurate as it was modeled using photos and dimensions of the real one which is now in use as a flower pot holder!!!.

Here's a photo showing the exhausts position.

post-7146-0-77754900-1417462544_thumb.jpg

Paul J.

Edited to add clarity to part of post.

Edited by Swindon 123

• RMweb Premium

The Heljan offering is the later batch with the large high cab. D2574 upwards. Easily recognised with horizontal section of glass along the top edge of the side windows.

If you are referring to the IOW D2554/05001, it has a lower cab.

There's a good pic of D2578 here

There are quite a few variations amongst the class - cab, buffers, round/square cornered cab windows, external radiator pipes, etc. Plenty of info earlier in the thread. Never mind an even bigger multitude of variations amongst industrial examples of the same basic design

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick

Don't forget wheel diameter, overall length as well. Different size wheels was enough for the GWR class the Saints, Halls and Granges as different classes.

The ER classed the early locos as DJ13, later D2/8 and then 2/15A. The later btaches were DJ13/2, D2/9 and 2/15. The ER mamnagement saw them as 2 classes.  It was Ian Allan who placed them in one class in their ABCs. Of course much late the sole example of the Hunslet 204hp 0-6-0s ands the last remaining Barclay 204hp 0-6-0 were both lumped into the same class, Class 05

In my mind as the 2/15s had all been withdrawn by the time TOPS came into being they should not be called 05s.

• 2 months later...

Received an Email from Hattons stating they now expect these Sept to Dec 15. Anyone heard why there is a delay of 8 -10 months? Considering they had full decorated samples at Warley, I was expecting them around 6 months from that date not a full year. Obviously not life changing but all these delays are becoming a bit of a joke.

Heljan used to be quite rapid from annoucement to delivery, say about 18 months. But they seem to have slowed down in recent times and are more like 3 years now.

I wonder why? Are they paying closer attention to development now to avoid hit and miss scenarios? Or problems with supply in China?

Unfortunately this seems to be the case with most of the manufacturers right now and not just Heljan.

You will see models that in essence look ready to go in full production with just livery samples needing approval, then all of a sudden the release date is at least 6 months on or so. I have seen this on the Bachmann 10000, 10001 and class 43.

I guess it's where we are with getting these hi spec models - I'm sure it will be worth the wait...

One thing I would say is that over the last year or so Heljan have really raised their game. The 128 for instance is a real quality model.

Stuart

Edited by bacon butty

I assume they have moved the point of announcement of a new model earlier in the development process. This may be because fewer prototypes remain unmodelled so a possible competitor is developping the same model with a higher probability than in old times. A competitor may make the developments up to the point of announcement worthless in the worst case so this may be a reason why manufacturers progressivly turn to play safe and announce way ahead instead of make surprise releases.

My opinion.

Felix

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...