Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Loco from Heljan

Mike Bellamy

I can’t tell from the pictures, and don’t remember if it’s been discusssed in the thread or not, are the lamps working leds or do they just have really good lenses that make it look like they are leds?

Stephen

No  just  dummy  lamps

post-10539-0-81591100-1544824853.jpgpost-10539-0-16941300-1544824873.jpgI  did not  think  that  with  the  new arrivals I would  have  to  post  what  follows>>>>

I apologise  if  this  brings doom & gloom to  the  thread

I received  a Yeo  today   managed to unbox it  this  evening  to give  it  a  test  run, at  first all seemed  well, but after a  few  minutes  it began to run jerkily and  what  is shown in the attached  photos  had occured.

I really do  hope  that  this  is  a  one  off  or at  least  rare occurance,  I really  like  this  model  and   after  the  problems  with my  previous batch  ones  I am  more than a little disappointed needless to  say  it will be  returned to  supplier.

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Gold

I noted that the cowcatcher didn't allow much drop of the front pony so on a change in gradient it was likely to lift the front pony off causing derailments. I chose to modify one of my two SR liveried models by chopping out the top bar to allow more movement. I will see how it compares to the unmodified model after running on a couple of layouts.

post-6968-0-91531600-1544871057_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-18753000-1544871062_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-03043200-1544871061_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Can I ask some kind soul who has one of the models in their possession, measure and post the overall length and width one?

Thank you.

Jim F

Over buffers 105mm

Over bufferbeam 92mm

Width 26.5mm

Height from baseboard sitting on Peco mainline track 39mm

Yes, but what we don’t/won’t want is a single failure being blown out of all proportion, and I fear that may happen. As per another thread, my Bachmann Baldwin Peggy popped her valve gear in a very similar way, it was not indicative of a general problem.

Roy

I really, really hope you're right, and, as I believe Chris Leigh reported when he opened one of the original batch of models, it is definitely a case of the "Ahhhhh" factor - I just hope that it doesn't change to the "Arghhhh" factor. The two caveats, however, in my view, is that any perceived undue attention is Heljan's own fault, they should have got the model right first time around BUT having said that I also own two of the original Heljan Garratts which have received a certain amount of criticism elsewhere and can honestly say that my two, albeit with fairly limited running, have been trouble free. I sincerely hope the MW's are the same. 

• RMweb Premium

A Baldwin 4-6-0T is hardly less complicated than the L&B loco, same number of wheels, outside Walschaerts valve-gear, about 25% shorter. The Bachmann model is not without its problems, some have suffered from failed diodes. Bachmann have extensive experience with N gauge, Heljan do not. This is by far the smallest loco Heljan have attempted.

Back to the Heljan model, my two Southern locos arrived today complete with no bits hanging off or missing. After fitting Greenwich couplings they went for a test run on Willesden Junction, along with a friend's sample. It's all Peco 009 mainline track and points.

Good news - the valve gear didn't fall apart.

Bad news - they kept derailing on facing points, same problem the first batch had. The pony truck axles are too loose and are not held perpendicular to the rails.

Then I tried a loco from the first batch that I've modified, with bearings on the pony trucks. This managed with no problems, with 8 L&B coaches.

Next step is to see if fitting bearings to the new ones cures the problem.

Edited by Nile

Glad  to  see  no  more  valve  gear  failures  hope  it  continues,  then  perhaps  I  will re  purchase!

BUT  the  derailing  problem  is  annoying,  it  seems  to  indicate  that  perhaps  a  little  more  testing  before  releasing  them  for  sale  would  have  been  beneficial,  The  end  user  should not  have  the   additional  chore  of  fault  fixing  to  obtain  the  expected performance

A Baldwin 4-6-0T is hardly less complicated than the L&B loco, same number of wheels, outside Walschaerts valve-gear, although it's about 25% shorter. The Bachmann model is not without its problems, some have suffered from failed diodes.

2 pony tucks vs 1

Inside vs outside frames

Large NG loco vs medium sized one...

Bachmann's issue pales into insignificance compared with the first version of the Heljan loco as well... I just hope the one valve gear issue on the latest ones turns out to be just that... One. 

As a long time narrow gauge modellers I welcome the manufacturers attempts to get more people modelling NG but only if they give us a reliable loco which won't go wrong and put newcomers off. Bachmann (UK, US and Europe) has, Heljan hasn't. Anyhow back to the current loco, any more tests, Paul?

Totally Agree  with  Mr  Hobby,  as  a  NG modeller  since  the  60s  I too Welcome  RTR 009  ( let  us  not  forget Fourdees as well)

I can buy RTR  H0e  from Liliput(Bachmann) Roco, Stangle & Bemo  and  it  works,  009  From  Bachmann UK  and  it all   works  without  issues.

Heljan I am afraid still has  issues,  let  us  hope  that  LYN  is going to be  an improvement.

• RMweb Premium

Some more testing today at home on a layout with Peco mainline points and reverse curves.

760 ran ok through the points in both directions.

761 had trouble going forwards. I found the front wheel slightly wide to gauge. After adjusting that and the centring springs it also ran ok through the points.

So it seems with a few simple tweaks these locos do work, but the track needs to be very well laid (or very flat).

Some other observations:

The cowcatchers need to be carefully adjusted so as to not foul the coupling and not touch the track. Probably best to leave them off for now.

The driving wheels now have pick-ups wiping on their rears, the first batch were on the top of the flange.

All the wheels are rather oily and could do with a good clean.

It's difficult to get all the wheels on the track, even with a putter-oner.

• RMweb Gold

I hadnt noticed the Royal Mail delivery note wedged into the letterbox last night but on checking the online status I noticed they had attempted delivery as my other half came back home and just noticed the paper slightly visible.

Luckily our sorting office is open today so I now have both Taw and Exe on the rolling road. However not all is perfect at present:

Taw - runs very smoothly but there is something askew with the body assembly and the black plastic motion brackets are loose, one isnt fitting correctly. Once fully tested I will tkae the body off and see if the body can be adjusted to sit correctly. Also whilst trying to get the bracket back in one of the linkages came out of the plastic crank. However it push fitted back in and so far has not come out again after 30 minutes running in.

Exe - upon opening the box one nameplate was loose, now refixed with a tiny drop of superglue. The body on this one sits correctly. However when on the rolling road it was very lumpy so straight off it and noticed one of the linkages was fouling the body. A bit of careful tweeking with fingers got this linkage the correct way round and the loco is now running much better but not as smoothly as Taw. Its only had 15 minutes in one direction on the rolling road so may well improve.

Later when I get chance I will put both on the test track oval and see how they perform. All being well I hope to set up my 009 layout tomorrow to see how they run through the Peco turnouts.

• Administrators

Heljan's representative in the UK sidled up to me in a pub and said, "Pssst. You wanna pretty narrow gauge loco mate".

Secreting the parcel about my person, I returned home and unpacked it. First impressions are it looks very nice, although that plate isn't on straight and the painting of the brass chimney isn't great. Both are exacerbated by the cruel camera close-ups though.

Proper review to come, but for the moment, have some photos.

Yeo6_RMweb.jpg

Yeo1_RMweb.jpg

Yeo2_RMweb.jpg

Yeo5_RMweb.jpg

• Like 2

Personally im not too sure on the darker livery of the newer model. But liking the more detailed painting of the safety valves and in the cab. Tempted to buy one but I have a working Yeo from the first batch still.

I would imagine the nameplates would be put on by hand but maybe using a jig off the corner of the tank.

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm well tonight I tested the other two and neither will stay on as they bump over the 12” points and derail every time, the running noticeably worse than the first one, before tweaks, over points bumping through the curve and frog. The back to backs are 7.5mm, (compared to 7.4mm on the Baldwin), but the pony’s are launching off as the main drivers seem to climb up the rails. It will sit back down if ‘jiggled’. This seems to be two things, flash on the bottom of the cylinder covers and the pony sideplay restricted by the frame. Between the cosmetic frames measures 1mm narrower than Exe! This appears to be enough to lift the front driver and launch the pony off. Exe and Yeo are running very well on the rollers so getting them bedded in before tweaking the frames to see if I can solve it.

What was more concerning was the Exe on the running in circuit twice locked up with the centre axle twisted and solid, reverse the direction and it freed up and ran ok again. I’ve traced this to the vertical, (vibrating link?), that can catch on the connecting rod and jam up, very carefully bending it out has eliminated the problem and run for over half an hour each way without issue.

I believe from this their tolerances are seeming too tight for reliable mass assembly and it only requires one bit slightly out to cause lock ups that can force out the pins or restrict movement just enough. I think I can surmount these but I think they are going to upset a lot of people because it is so delicate and tiny to risk adjustments like I’m doing.

It’s so close but not quite there!

• RMweb Gold

AN update on mine.

Exe is now running very smoothly after a few hours run in and so far the valve gear linkage hasnt jammed again.

However Taw linkage came apart a second time and now the rivet has gone missing - they are glues into the platic crank so are a very week joint. Looks like this one is going back. On closer inspection the quality of the build especially on Taw is not good. The body has been poorly assembles hence the twist in the body and the chassis is much the same. I will post some photos of it when I get chance.

I have yet to test Exe on the layout but will report back when I do.

• RMweb Premium

Very tempted by one in L&B dark green, although I would really like to see a back-engineered version with the early cab and light green livery.....

However, the dome and chimney cap are sadly a bit of a visual let-down so I'm wondering, are they moulded-in or are they separately applied components? In which case, would there be the potential for a nice turned-brass replacement?

Cheers,

Mark