Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Loco from Heljan

Mike Bellamy

Does anyone know who does suitable decals for these locos as I may well buy a third and renumber/ name it plus i do require decals for my backwoods Lyn?

I'd have thought someone who does Southern Railway transfers?

• RMweb Gold

Yes but not sure about the correct size together with the nameplates. I know someone used to but thats many years ago and I used them up on my white metal body kits. I cant recall who did produce them and I am sure they disappeared some years back.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Cow catcher hasn’t been changed and that can limit the pony truck drop so if you get derailments check it’s not bent up, like the third and fourth photos, and holding up the pony truck ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

Hattons now showing three versions in stock - 9950 Yeo in L&B, 9951 Exe in Southern and 9952 Taw in Southern. More than 10 of each available. My pre order for Exe is processed.

Yes, same here, my two which have been on pre-order for years have been processed. Hopefully when they arrive they'll run as reliably as Bachmann's Baldwins appear to do, and not have a tantrum and throw their valvegear out of the metaphorical pram. Like many others, I suspect, in addition to what I find first hand, I'll be watching this forum in case of misdemeanours elsewhere.

• RMweb Gold

My test track wilm be set up as soon as my two arrive. If all OK then I will have to set up my old 009 layout for the first time in many years.

Blackmoor Gate is my proposed new layout hopefully with sound fitted to the locos. Have all the goods wagons bar one flat car but still require many more coaches

• RMweb Gold

Yes, same here, my two which have been on pre-order for years have been processed. Hopefully when they arrive they'll run as reliably as Bachmann's Baldwins appear to do, and not have a tantrum and throw their valvegear out of the metaphorical pram. Like many others, I suspect, in addition to what I find first hand, I'll be watching this forum in case of misdemeanours elsewhere.

Yes, but what we don’t/won’t want is a single failure being blown out of all proportion, and I fear that may happen. As per another thread, my Bachmann Baldwin Peggy popped her valve gear in a very similar way, it was not indicative of a general problem.

Roy

My pre ordered Taw is on its way across the Atlantic after all this waiting. I can’t wait to see it and break out my test loop. I really need to pull my Narrow Gauge project shelf out of the closet and actually finish it so it has somewhere to go along with by other 009 loco (Bachmann skarloey-Talyllyn conversion).

Stephen

• Like 1

A  couple   of  parcels  arrived  at 0745 today  despatched  yesterday  from  OLDHAM  marked  L&B,  items were  less  costwise  than  the  box  shifters  current  advertised  prices

Due  to pressure  of domestic  chores  they  remain  unopened :nono:

• RMweb Gold

Yes there is a centring spring. I’ll run them in a bit and see what happens. My original one didn’t have any issues on my layout but did occasionally derail on a friends one so we will try that in a week or two ;)

Oh dear, how sad, it would appear that I have the 'Friday afternoon' model. Just unpacked my L&B green Yeo to find that a section of the copper pipework that runs along the side of the boiler is missing & one of the cylinders has chipped paintwork. Also appears to be a bit of a 'lumpy' runner straight out of the box. Currently awaiting a reply from my supplier.

Mike C

• RMweb Gold

Ok first testing and the old too springy pony’s issue is still there!

1. Flatten the pickups slightly underneath the flanges by gently pushing the flat plate back towards the pivot and they lie almost flat and don’t lift the weight off the main drivers. If you take the pony off it’s very fiddly to get the washer, centring spring, pony and retainer back on ;)

2. The centring springs are also too tight for the 12” radius points and caused random derailments. There is a note in the pack to ease them off if this happens, I did this so they are a mm away from the truck and it runs perfectly through the 12” points

Initially it slipped on two unweighted Peco coaches, now it pulled six without a pause :)

3. The cowcatchers are very restricting on allowing the pony to drop, fine on the flat but it’s going to be fun on gradient transitions. I’m going to remove the top bar on one loco to see how it looks and performs on a hillier layout but need to visit a friends layout for that.

It runs beautifully as a mechanism so far. No time for extensive running in tonight but they are still beauty’s but the pickups need less downward pressure and the centring springs are too harsh on the 12” points.

Looks 9/10 Painted brass the only issue.

Performance of chassis out of the box 6/10

Performance with tweaks above 8/10 (subject to gradient tests)

Edited by PaulRhB

Ok first testing and the old too springy pony’s issue is still there!

I can’t tell from the pictures, and don’t remember if it’s been discusssed in the thread or not, are the lamps working leds or do they just have really good lenses that make it look like they are leds?

Stephen