Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Loco from Heljan

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking of getting one later this week on my monthly retail therapy trip to Faversham but, reading the above comments, think I'll pass again. Looks like my Peco rolling stock will have to wait some more time for a loco to haul it...….. Disappointing,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Very tempted by one in L&B dark green, although I would really like to see a back-engineered version with the early cab and light green livery.....

However, the dome and chimney cap are sadly a bit of a visual let-down so I'm wondering, are they moulded-in or are they separately applied components? In which case, would there be the potential for a nice turned-brass replacement?

Cheers,

Mark

Believe it or not but the chimney is actually made of brass.

I noticed  yesterday  when  digitizing  a  freinds 2  locos  there  have been  changes, access to  the  PCB  is  easier now   since  it  is  just  stock down to  the  chassis  with a  bit  of double  sided foam  pad  irregularly cut to shape,  wires  are  very thin  and need care in  handling  

I had a look inside and found more changes.

mark 1

attachicon.gif03.JPG

mark 2

attachicon.gif04.JPG

And here's that brass chimney.

attachicon.gif05.JPG

Nile,

Thanks for this inside look.

I'm just finishing a sound project with sounds recorded from LYD (for Paul Martin at NG Trains) but have been working with the Mk1 only.

Speaker location is a problem that looks as if it might be solved in Mk2 without having to mill the chassis to create space. Oh joy!

Best regards,

Paul

Nile,

Thanks for this inside look.

I'm just finishing a sound project with sounds recorded from LYD (for Paul Martin at NG Trains) but have been working with the Mk1 only.

Speaker location is a problem that looks as if it might be solved in Mk2 without having to mill the chassis to create space. Oh joy!

Best regards,

Paul

It will probably  benefit if  the  sound project  includes  plenty of  standing  sounds,!   ie when  it  is  not  actually  moving  ( sorry  only  joking)

• RMweb Gold

I set up my 009 layout at Mums today.

I put the Heljan loco on the track then realised I had forgotten to take the hand controllers so no test of it on the layout till Thursday when I am next back there.

post-1557-0-22881400-1545134869_thumb.jpg

I have also found spare sets of decals (they were in my 009 bits box rather than my decals box) so I now have neough to do Lyn when I complete the Backwwods kits. They were produced by Ginjini and I have also found some Blackham rub down ones for the wagons.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I have one of these (Lew) on pre-order, due in July next year but I am seriously considering getting Exe as well. How many people on here have got a "good one". I know we have heard about some problems, but as yet not much about those that are running well / built well straight out the box.

Thanks,

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Mine runs fine on 18" radius but derails all the time on the 12" points. The drive is superb it's the ponies spring and swing and checking that drop link doesn't foul that are the issues.

Thanks, my 009 layout is mainline points (so 18") for the section that the Manning Wardles would run on, I only have 12" points on the quarry section which is restricted to small locos.

I think I may have to bite the bullet and empty the piggy bank.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Boht of mine run very smoothly so the motor and gearing appears to be good. I have now emailed Hattons about returning Taw with its broken linkage. If I had found the missing pin I would probably have perservered with it. My current layout uses the shorter turnouts but the intended new layout will have longer radius turnouts so as long as I can get ones where the valve gear doesnt fall apart then I will be happy.

I received my two on Monday. Out of the box they lost traction on the slightest dip in the track. I've adjusted the pick ups on the pony wheels and filed a little of the coupling pockets as these just make contact with the buffer beams. This has improved running tremendously. On plain track they are smooth and quiet. However despite fiddling with the springs they derail on some points. Not all of them, just a few critical ones. Most of my points are N gauge. Radius doesn't seem to be a factor as one of the troublesome ones is a large radius point. It's also one of the newest points on the layout.

On the positive side they have forced me to deal with various humps and bumps in the track and rough baseboard joints, which have been on the 'to do' list. The perils of a loft layout.

I might have been tempted by a Lew or a Lyn but I won't be buying either until Heljan sort themselves out.

Bob

Has  anyone  tested  the  new  MWs  on  Peco 9" radius  009 Setrack curves  or  points?

Enquiry from a  friend  of  mine in the planning  stage  short on  space  I have  recommended  nothing  less than 12" radius to him!

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon I gave gas Exe running on the layout. It derailed everywhere and wouldn't haul more than one Coach but after some adjustments its running fine through 12"turnouts including reverse curves.

I have flattened out the wipers between the body underside and pony truck wheels as per Paul's adjustments , the axles on these wheels have been filed down to allow the back to back to be corrected and the buffer beam slots have been filed aswell as the top of the coupler pocket. It still derails occasionally but I can live with that for now as the new layout that these will be used on wilm have the longer radius turnouts.

Taw is on its way back to the retailer for a replacement.

As long as the valve gear doesn't break again thrn I wullbe happy to buy more. Who St the above shouldn't be necessary on such a hew expensive model I enjoy doing this sort of fettling.

post-1557-0-84536700-1545319849_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-77423100-1545319863_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-00213300-1545319891_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-84536700-1545319849_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-77423100-1545319863_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-00213300-1545319891_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

If only this loco had been made by Roco...

My Taw won't tolerate even the slightest dip in the track because the driving wheels lose touch with the rail head, so I too need to tinker with the pony trucks.

As my 16 year-old son observed, "Don't Heljan test the design?"

• Like 1

Roco  announced  a Ffestiniog Double  Fairlie  some  years  ago  now,  but  it  was  never  produced.  I was  told  due  to  lack  of  interest!  Such a  pity  I live in  hope  they  may  think  again ( but  I doubt  it)  I  have quite  a few Roco  H0e  locos  including  2 of  the  recent  2095s  ( which gets a good  reveiw in CM)  never  had  a  Roco loco with  any  problems