Bachmann announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I have just been cruising around a couple of other websites and noticed that the open Pipe and Tube wagons are priced higher than the considerably more complex 20t Tankers and Grain hoppers. Anybody else think this is a bit odd? 

John

This could be a very interesting situation although  - in view of what's available to measure - it is almost a faint hope that Bachmann and Hornby don't finish up masking the same version.  My main concern is that we'll probably see them running round in model freight trains all over the shop on more than a few Western layouts.  Oh and as per Hornby I see Bachmann are also doing the BR version in grey instead of black which leaves me wondering if they are both copying the same 'preserved' (?) example which is also incorrectly painted in grey with BR lettering.  Some might well have been grey but the normal colour for them was black - maybe Henry Ford ought to be making the models?

I already have the Hornby one on order but no doubt a Bachmann one will join it as I can possibly conjure up a reason for more than one - possibly ...

Mike,

Talking of the colour of shunting trucks I see the colours black and grey mentioned. IIRC I saw one painted in a brown colour in use in the late 1950's in the shunting yard behind Railway Street in Cardiff.

As it happens I bought a B & R DVD of steam in South Wales last week and in the section on Pontypool Road there was a shunters truck in a matt brown colour.

Any thoughts on this please?

Regards,

Dave

Thompsons retooled -great

Grain - great

E4 - great

J15 - not announced

oh hang on, the E4 is from a minor railway - damn

Seriously though, an impressive LONG list, some nice items in there even if not many that I want.

As for the Wickham trolley, I think this includes a trailer? Presumably that will aid electrical pickup?

Stewart

ps why another GW tank - they ARE all the same aren't they.....??

(hat, coat, ducks for cover)

• RMweb Gold

E4 - great

J15 - not announced

I say, Sir - have a care! As Bachmann points out, 75 E4s were built from 1897, and 74 reached BR in 1948, so they must have been useful, given the major electrification works that took place on the Brighton section of the Southern Railway before the war, which knocked out a lot of steam. Most lasted 60 years or so, and the surviving example is popular at the Bluebell. As for the Brighton being a "minor railway", well.....

I guess someone has to add that, besides congratulating Bachmann on yet another bumper list of new products, they haven't see the need to produce the BR Standard Class 2MT 2-6-0 (78XXX) nor 57ft LMS non-corridor stock of any period nor the Mark 1 FO.  Let's hope someone fills these gaps before too long.

Stan

• RMweb Premium

Wow, quite a few surprises there.

The loco highlights for me are the 64xx and E4. In a way it's a pity the Bluebell E4 is currently preserved in Southern green - I think I would have preferred it in LBSC Umber. To renumber the umber one or buy 473 is it is now. Decisions...????

For the coaches, the Mk2Fs are a welcome surprise, as are the new TPO variants. I wonder if the nets will be working... (probably not).

On the wagon front, it's good to see more early (brown or bauxite) versions of the airbraked OBA and VDA, and the new grain hoppers. A pity there's no OAA yet... I also spotted a 37-713 8 Ton Ale wagon as a rerun. What's is it? I don't remember seeing that before.

As to the Warships,

I may be reading too much into it but it appears that the weathered blue 42 has a catalogue number in the 32-06x series as have the "new" 43s. Previous versions of the 42 being in the 32-05x series with suffixes.
RP

I'll certainly be interested in at least one Class 43, but which one? As regards the Class 42 listed as 32-062, I am pretty sure this will be the current version, not from new tooling. Bachmann has already produced 32-061 as 812 in BR blue a couple of years ago, so I'm guessing that the new one being numbered as 32-062 means the number font will be the same as 812 rather than the more recent Blue D827 Kelly.

Finally, I'm pleased for 'Chard and others that a Highland Baby Sulzer looks like it's on the cards. As new tooling, even if the first models aren't exactly right, surely Bachmann will design the tooling in a way that allows them to be produced in future. Or am I missing something?

So overall, well done Bachmann.

Not just the 150, surely. The 455, 456 and 317 electric units have a lot of similarities but the 150s are (or have been) used over most of the system, giving them the widest appeal.

John

In the MU field Bachmann also has the 101 arriving shortly (and most welcome that will be, too).

But the new-tooling 2-coach 158s announced last year appear to have been rethought; 31-517 Regional Railways is now only being offered with Digital Sound at the eye-watering RRP of £274.95!

Hattons may be discounting it to £233.71, but for those of us who are DC and aren't interested in sound, that strikes me as an unwelcome change in specification.

I have an irrational fondness for this DMU and I'd be in the market for several in both RR and NSE liveries (2 and 3-coach, 159s as well as 158s). But not at that price.

Paul

I've just seen the latest Bachmann announcements and, frankly, I'm not impressed.

The only products Bachmann are lining up which are relevant to me at the moment are:

The new class 40

Class 101 DMUs in various liveries (blue/grey, blue), plus hopefully more to follow

Mk 1 sleepers (at least 4 of these needed)

Mk 2F coaches in various liveries (at least a few rakes in various liveries will be needed)

Washing plant

DBSO (wow, fantastic, two liveries needed again here)

Mk 1 stowage vans (again, various liveries needed)

and probably quite a bit else I've forgotten.

That’s all.

I mean, where is my readymade layout? Do they seriously expect me to build my own layout? And actually do some modelling?

Where are the Scenecraft buildings based on Haymarket depot as it was in the 80s, and the Scenecraft Waverley station? And the readymade Scenecraft Princes St.?

Oh dear, it looks like my wallet is going to be taking a serious beating over the next couple of years, and it won’t be on Hornby products either. Thank you, Mr Bachmann! Some brilliant choices as far as I'm concerned there.

Cheers,

Dave

Have to agree that the 158 at £274.95, its expensive, but when you consider that it is two coaches, that should be equally detailed (and hopefully see through!) at around 90 kwid each, add on a sound chip installed ready and the price suddenly becomes into the realms of what is expected lately as prices have inflated due to market demands and changes. The lesson.... get saving now!

• RMweb Gold

Thompsons retooled -great

Grain - great

E4 - great

J15 - not announced

Seriously though, an impressive LONG list, some nice items in there even if not many that I want.

As for the Wickham trolley, I think this includes a trailer? Presumably that will aid electrical pickup?

Stewart

ps why another GW tank - they ARE all the same aren't they.....??

(hat, coat, ducks for cover)

You think a hat & coat will offer serious protection?  Just to remind you that in times of war Swindon turned out some pretty serious artillery pieces - probably still some lurking in some MoD storage depot but as replicas of GW locos etc are all the rage I'd just tread very carefully if I were you ;)

Have to agree that the 158 at £274.95, its expensive, but when you consider that it is two coaches, that should be equally detailed (and hopefully see through!) at around 90 kwid each, add on a sound chip installed ready and the price suddenly becomes into the realms of what is expected lately as prices have inflated due to market demands and changes. The lesson.... get saving now!

You misunderstand me: I have no interest in a "sound chip". That's like arguing that it comes with a microwave oven and a fridge-freezer which are very competitively priced. Neither of those are of the slightest use to me, so why would I include them in the calculation of any value?

£233 for a two-car 158 compared with £110 for a two-car 101 -- and I would expect both to be to about the same specification. The 158 is clearly not "worth" (to me) double the 101.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

In a way it's a pity the Bluebell E4 is currently preserved in Southern green - I think I would have preferred it in LBSC Umber. To renumber the umber one or buy 473 is it is now. Decisions...????

I think the Bluebell used a little artistic licence in putting the Birch Grove name on an umber loco - there should just have been LB&SCR (early) or LBSC (late) on the tanks, names having been abolished for small tank locos after the Directors' inspection of 12 different specimen liveries in October 1905.

I think the Bluebell used a little artistic licence in putting the Birch Grove name on an umber loco - there should just have been LB&SCR (early) or LBSC (late) on the tanks, names having been abolished for small tank locos after the Directors' inspection of 12 different specimen liveries in October 1905.

That wasn't unusual for the Bluebell. The poor little P classes suffered badly.

Whatever for Michael? Ones with lots of holes maybe.

Mike.

Was there one? All class 24 and 25 had something like 14 hole disk wheels which at the right angle could look like spokes.

Cheers

Jim

cheers Men, was always under the impression that they where spoked, but do we think they would bother recreating the wheel with the holes in? I wouldnt think so and it wouldnt be a deal breaker at all for me if they never, might be now for those who wouldnt have known either way if it hadnt been mentioned :)

and there is those who will be totally replacing them anyway for ultrascales anyway.

but itd be nice if this is a totally new cad and tooling from scratch up to the standards of other recent releases.

You misunderstand me: I have no interest in a "sound chip". That's like arguing that it comes with a microwave oven and a fridge-freezer which are very competitively priced. Neither of those are of the slightest use to me, so why would I include them in the calculation of any value?

£233 for a two-car 158 compared with £110 for a two-car 101 -- and I would expect both to be to about the same specification. The 158 is clearly not "worth" (to me) double the 101.

Paul

You have a good point regarding product pricing Paul

If the 158 is actually from new tooling (the same as the 101) then you'd expect the railcars to be of a simiar price, notwithstanding the former has a little more plastic and metal in it for the extra length. Subtract the price of a new sound chip (at trade price), say 60-70 quid to be generous, then there does seem a price disparity.

EDIT

The comparative RRPs on the Bachmann website of "old" class 42 and new class 43, are quite interesting too.

• RMweb Gold

Whatever improvements are being made to the powered car, there shouldn't be any extra expenditure incurred on the unpowered one.

A premium of £120-plus for DCC sound seems a bit excessive. The comparable differential in US outline models has been dropping for a while and is now not much more than half that in many cases.

I have just been cruising around a couple of other websites and noticed that the open Pipe and Tube wagons are priced higher than the considerably more complex 20t Tankers and Grain hoppers. Anybody else think this is a bit odd? 

John

I've been trying to find piccies of the 20T tanks which Bachmann may have chosen - particularly as I have been lobbying for anchor mount tanks, and pretty much any other tank to cater for the real transition era mid to late 1960s. Google dug out this image, which I somehow doubt is one of those listed by Bachmann

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-33x5vD5Jtic/TuuXzfgtXlI/AAAAAAAACXc/eRPg9gVoeGI/s1600/DSC_5865.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Will not a two car Class 158 require two sound chips and speakers, possibly independantly controlled as after all each car is individually powered?  That adds to the cost significantly I would have thought.

I've been trying to find piccies of the 20T tanks which Bachmann may have chosen - particularly as I have been lobbying for anchor mount tanks, and pretty much any other tank to cater for the real transition era mid to late 1960s. Google dug out this image, which I somehow doubt is one of those listed by Bachmann

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-33x5vD5Jtic/TuuXzfgtXlI/AAAAAAAACXc/eRPg9gVoeGI/s1600/DSC_5865.jpg

One of these (well, one of this varied selection) seems likely to me anyway:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ncbtankwagons

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Will not a two car Class 158 require two sound chips and speakers, possibly independantly controlled as after all each car is individually powered?  That adds to the cost significantly I would have thought.

Interesting thought but my guess is they will need the underfloor space in one car to accommodate a speaker as that in the powered car will be full of hidden motor and transmission.

On the real thing, both engines are driven by one throttle and there's no reason why the speaker can't play a recording of two engines.

I'll certainly be interested in at least one Class 43, but which one? As regards the Class 42 listed as 32-062, I am pretty sure this will be the current version, not from new tooling. Bachmann has already produced 32-061 as 812 in BR blue a couple of years ago, so I'm guessing that the new one being numbered as 32-062 means the number font will be the same as 812 rather than the more recent Blue D827 Kelly.

Hi Andrew, the number font for 810 (33-062) in blue should be identical to that for 812 (32-061). 810 was released from Swindon in this final version of blue on 6/4/70 and carried it until withdrawal on 4/12/72, while 812 was released as such on 13/3/70 and carried it until withdrawal on 1/12/72 ;)

• RMweb Premium

One of these (well, one of this varied selection) seems likely to me anyway:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ncbtankwagons

Adam

I don't know if they're the same tank wagon or not, but Hattons is using a picture that looks like it may be from the new catalogue if the pictures of some other models are anything to go by http://www.ehattons.com/61006/Bachmann_UK_38_775_20_Ton_Tank_Wagon_ICI_/StockDetail.aspx

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andrew, the number font for 810 (33-062) in blue should be identical to that for 812 (32-061). 810 was released from Swindon in this final version of blue on 6/4/70 and carried it until withdrawal on 4/12/72, while 812 was released as such on 13/3/70 and carried it until withdrawal on 1/12/72 ;)

Again according to the picture on Hattons website it is http://www.ehattons.com/60829/Bachmann_UK_32_062_Class_42_Warship_810_Cockade_BR_Blue_Weathered/StockDetail.aspx

There are a lot of pictures there showing more details of what individual liveries will be, assuming of course they're correct. For example the BR 3MT tank 82020 is shown in unlined green.

Archived