Bachmann announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

An ambitious and well-balanced programme of new products mainly offered at what seem to be "sensible" prices.

I'm particularly looking forward to the GWR 64XX Class and the new Autocoach.

I'm not too bothered if the delivery time frames slip a little, if this defers cash flowing out of my wallet.

• RMweb Gold

Just been looking on the. Bachmann home Page at the picture of the midland 1f and it looks like there's something attached half along the coupling rods between the 1st and 2nd wheels and again between the 2nd and 3rd any idea what it may be.

• RMweb Premium

What an interesting range from Bachmann, as has been said the railway ran on locos like the ones they have announced. Its nice also to see a broadening of rolling and coaching stock. For the first time ever I got a suggestion right in 42968, but now the question.... Will Bachmann make it like the real class. By this I mean it is fitted with an L&Y reverser, which works the opposite way to every other company I have been on. To the unwary they wind the reverser into what they think is forward gear with the pointer at the furthest point away, open the regulator and promptly go backwards. I'd love to see this quirk recreated, and the looks on peoples faces the first time they do it (I'll get my coat now).

There is of course one other quirk of 2968, which is when restored it was given a wider tender, which increases coal and water and slightly reduces the amount of buffetting you get when going tender first compared to an original Fowler tank. For my money no one would notice and I can't wait to have a ready to run model of this wonderful engine.

HI 

Just been on the Hatton's site and have seen how much  ,Each Birdcage coach estimated at £42.50.

Mind you if they are good i don't mind paying that for them.

Darren

At least they will reduce the price on pre-orders if they turn out to be cheaper anyway. Hattons are good like that. :)

Guest jim s-w

wonder if Bachmann will do the 24/1 with spoked wheels?

Was there one? All class 24 and 25 had something like 14 hole disk wheels which at the right angle could look like spokes.

Cheers

Jim

I would have thought the Adams tank would suit a special commission better. Don't forget only two of the class made Southern Railway days and while a third (the currently preserved one that escaped being fitted with certain Drummond features due to it being sold to the EKR by the LSWR) was obtained after WW2 its still doesn't ammount to many locos volume wise. In some ways they would better be compared to the Well tanks, another class where only 3 managed to hang on to get into Southern & BR ownership.

The Adams Radial has already been made by the 00 Works and sold very well. The LSWR made 71 Adams Radial tanks which were a maid of all work so they would be useful for a pre-grouping layout.  The 00 Works also made the E4 and the C class so perhaps Bachmann are following in the 00 Works footsteps. Airfix were planning to make some SR Birdcage Coachs before it went into receivership in 1981 so perhaps Bachmann got the idea of producing them from Airfix.

I am modelling the Swanage Railway so the only relevant items are the Midland 1F 0-6-0T and the Wickham trolley.  This is not going to stop me buying the E4 and the SR Birdcage Coaches. For people looking for a 700, Adams Radials and other Southern locomotives it is worth looking out for second hand 00 Works models or kit built models as these are not much more expensive than a Bachmann model. I bought a well constructed Ks LSWR Adams Radial for £100 at a recent show.

I am very pleased with Bachmann's announcements and their existing range. If I was modelling the Bluebell Railway I would not need to build anything: I could just order everything from Bachmann.

• RMweb Gold

It makes me wonder if Bachmann would invest in a new "low profile" chassis just for the class 150. Part of an ongoing development program maybe and only time will tell of course.

RP

edit additional:

I expect to see plenty more units from Bachmann but only after the 101 has surfaced and the Thumpers have had a fair go

Not just the 150, surely. The 455, 456 and 317 electric units have a lot of similarities but the 150s are (or have been) used over most of the system, giving them the widest appeal.

John

• RMweb Gold

HI 

Just been on the Hatton's site and have seen how much  ,Each Birdcage coach estimated at £42.50.

Mind you if they are good i don't mind paying that for them.

Darren

Just as well I only need three to make a train, then.  

John

Well done Bachmann to announce all these models in an uncertain economic climate  :good:

Having spent some considerable time on a rake of Airfix/Hornby 2D's, by filing, hacking and spending large ammounts of money on new window frames, b4 bogies and laserglazing, I am largely content to be able to dip then strip these 2f's and, with a minor bit of hacking compared to the airfix/Hornby model, turn them into a good looking 2D.

Personally, modelling the Scottish scene circa 1988, I don't have much call for 2f's or E's, but the DBSO is a very welcome call by Bachmann, however, just to add my own little wish to Bachmann for future consideration - what about some MK2B's and C's?

cheers

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Shame they are releasing the gwr shunters truck as well as Hornby. Are there differing types or is this another duplicate?

Excellent for whoever gets their's to the shops first.

Hardly anybody will want more than a couple so, unless the 'winners' don't make enough, there are no prizes for the runner up.

John

• RMweb Gold

If I was modelling the Bluebell Railway I would not need to build anything: I could just order everything from Bachmann.

Really? What about the U, B4, North London tank and S15, not to mention the Metropolitan set and a Stove R in Pullman livery!

John

• RMweb Gold

O.K., time to show ignorance.

The birdcage coaches come in, amongst other versions, "BR Vermilion".

Any ideas for what time period that covers (and, as a matter of interest, why they didn't just use maroon) ?

Thanks

Maroon is much darker and the Birdcages never got it (late survivors received BR(s) green). Vermilion was the shade applied (without lining) to secondary stock in early BR days when front-line coaches were painted carmine and cream.

It tended to acquire an orangey/pink tinge with age but whether it was the same shade as carmine or just looked different because more (or better) varnish was applied to express stock is debateable.

John

• RMweb Gold

Excellent for whoever gets their's to the shops first.

Hardly anybody will want more than a couple so, unless the 'winners' don't make enough, there are no prizes for the runner up.

John

This could be a very interesting situation although  - in view of what's available to measure - it is almost a faint hope that Bachmann and Hornby don't finish up masking the same version.  My main concern is that we'll probably see them running round in model freight trains all over the shop on more than a few Western layouts.  Oh and as per Hornby I see Bachmann are also doing the BR version in grey instead of black which leaves me wondering if they are both copying the same 'preserved' (?) example which is also incorrectly painted in grey with BR lettering.  Some might well have been grey but the normal colour for them was black - maybe Henry Ford ought to be making the models?

I already have the Hornby one on order but no doubt a Bachmann one will join it as I can possibly conjure up a reason for more than one - possibly ...

Birdcage stock offers some interesting variations in colour if modelling the early BR period. Maunsell olive, malachite and of course carmine red. The latter always comes over as very bright on cine-to-video productions as if the S.Region kept them cleaner than other regions.

I do know this kind of stock was very popular in 4mm scale when I used to paint them for a coach building company, although fitting glazing into the birdcage must have been 'interesting'. I'm sure that anyone who had built a brass 'Birdcage' coach will view Bachmann's price as a snip.

I see that two of Bachmann's new A4s, Dwight D. Eisenhower and Dominion of Canada are already in production. Dwight D. Eisenhower will compete directly with Hornby's model for the Great Gathering and I expect Bachman will be making more than 510 models to satisfy demand. We also go not need to wait until August to get one. The Bachmann model is cheaper but not such a good model. It looks like the LMS Inspection saloon and the SR Birdcage coaches may not be made for a while as Hattons have reserved the right to charge a higher price.

Bachmann are also going to produce a second version of the SR pill box brake van in BR light grey weathered and BR bauxite. It looks like the BR versions have out sold the SR versions. These  brake vans have filled a useful gap in the market and I am pleased they sold well.They are much better than the overpriced Hornby-Dublo model and the Ks kit. I wonder if Bachmann will alter the position of the chimney to make it more comfortable for the guard. 

Archived