Bachmann announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

but the 64xx will be dependent on what they mean by GWR livery. The photo of the Earl has already saved me some money.

Adrian

Its the same as the Earl in that its post war G W R green [initials].

• RMweb Gold

But many of the early auto trailers lasted well into BR, so should please both GWR and BR fans IMHO, some were 50 years old and have been in many different liveries.

The new BR Auto Trailer (albeit GWR influenced) is just that - BR only!

This what we (or at least I) would like: http://www.railmotor93.org/latestnews/latestnews.html

Keith

1. Agreed, an auto trailer of GWR origin would have given Bachmann the option of several more liveries.

2. At least they aren't duplicating the Hornby/Airfix model.

3. I think the version they are doing is the sort I rode in on the Seaton branch in 1965 (albeit with a 14xx) so I like it!

4. Maybe they waiting to introduce a 'proper' GWR one alongside a Railmotor later on.

John

Hawskworth, BR(WR) autotrailer

Slightly Disapointed to see another new 'gw' coach that is a post nationalisation build, hopefully this will now spur Hornby on to release an improved gw diagram autocoach to compete with it

I'm willing to wager that there are a higher percentage of modellers who prefer BR(WR) to GWR overall, and the flush sided vehicle will be a useful addition to the existing panelled car in their collection.

The new BR Auto Trailer (albeit GWR influenced) is just that - BR only!

There's no question that there are more BR(WR) modellers than GWR modellers today. The Hawksworth autotrailer polled well and Bachmann Branch-Line made a sensible business choice in announcing one and deserve to be commended for their choice.

The ex-Dapol, Hornby autocoach appeared in the 2012 catalogue and (I believe) can still be ordered for anyone who wants one in RTR. Presumably it will appear for sale, one day.

As to the numbers who prefer BR(W) to the real thing, you're probably right, but it's not as though the manufacturers give them much choice is it? There is remarkably little RTR stock of any kind that is really correct for any pre-war period.

Yes, indeed sir. This is quite a chicken and egg problem - exaccerbated by the multiple different liveries between 1923 and 1948. Things have changed since the 1980s when early Collett liveries predominated GWR models.

This what we (or at least I) would like: http://www.railmotor93.org/latestnews/latestnews.html

(Along with Keith) I'm still holding out for a steam railmotor (which I think is inevitable) to come with a matching Churchward trailer - which (if I understand the legacy of such things correctly) would be a nice basis for some pre-war autotrailers down the road.

EDIT: Ooops - Immediately above, John said much what I wanted to say - only quicker.

• RMweb Gold

I've been trying to find piccies of the 20T tanks which Bachmann may have chosen - particularly as I have been lobbying for anchor mount tanks, and pretty much any other tank to cater for the real transition era mid to late 1960s. Google dug out this image, which I somehow doubt is one of those listed by Bachmann

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-33x5vD5Jtic/TuuXzfgtXlI/AAAAAAAACXc/eRPg9gVoeGI/s1600/DSC_5865.jpg

Definitely not that one but the ICI one does have anchor points. ;) It has the number 159 on it too which might give its diagram away.

• RMweb Gold

I already have the Hornby one on order but no doubt a Bachmann one will join it as I can possibly conjure up a reason for more than one - possibly ...

I wasn't bothered about one but now Bachmann are doing one for Newton Abbot so oh go on then........

• RMweb Gold

I take it the birdcage coaches likely never made it to the south-west?

Adrian

Highly doubtful, but I have seen a (published) photo of an ex-SECR Pull-push set (in 'vermilion') included in an Exeter-Salisbury stopper about 1959 so I wouldn't bet my own money on a definite 'never'!

John  

Hattons have just sent me an email with pictures and details of all Bachmann's new products for 2013-2014.  At Hattons' prices the E4 seems good value at £76.46 compared with the Hornby LSWR M7 for £104 and the inferior N2 for £72. The SECR coaches seem rather expensive at at least £42.50 compared with Hornby's Maunsell pull-push set for £62 and the Gresley suburbans for £33 each. I still think the SECR Birdcage coaches represent good value for money. At least one is on the Bluebell Railway so it can be run with the preserved E4. Hornby used to make a LBSCR goods brake van in LBSCR, SR and BR liveries to tail a train of private owner, Southern or BR SR wagons hauled by an E2.

If Bachmann is doing the Hawksworth autocoach, I hope they do the versions with bus seating. I can't say I liked these interiors, but they're a fag to scratchbuild.

Dai

I think there were two maybe three types of bus seat arrangements, also some at curtains others not, the two named types Thrush and Wren had the bus style seats but were both different. If the coach does come with just the earlier type seating well it gives us modellers something to do.

In the mid to late 1980s Kev Peo and myself were at Wigan? show and we spotted a kit for a Wickham trolley, it's still running on Copell . I'll try and get Kev to post some photos of it .

OzzyO.

You’re lucky; it was in the top stock tray!

post-8271-0-01209100-1363025198_thumb.jpg

And your memories going Ozzy, it was Manchester show. Built and painted by me from a white metal kit of whose origin is long forgotten. Chassis mods by the ''tin man''.

post-8271-0-92268000-1363025206_thumb.jpg

Beware though Bachmann, as the scale wheels fall into the gaps in Peco point V's!!!!!

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Once again they've managed it. Since returning to active modelling a few years ago I've built an SR Van C, Pillbox, PMV and CCT, LMS CCT, 13t Steel Opens, Grampus, Mermaid and Tube wagons, and currently on a couple of Pipes.

I never got round to using the Porthole TK sides, and for next year I am forecasting a Cupboard Door 16T and LNER Plate to go with those currently awaiting erecting shop slots.

Built and painted by me from a white metal kit of whose origin is long forgotten.

Nu Cast probably, I've still got one in it's original bag. Neat job you've done with it.

Its the same as the Earl in that its post war G W R green [initials].

Pity. Still it probably had a longer life in that livery than 3203 did. It appears to be valid from probably late '45 (when painted/repainted in green) to sometime in '46 (when renumbered to 9003).

Adrian

I say, Sir - have a care! As Bachmann points out, 75 E4s were built from 1897, and 74 reached BR in 1948, so they must have been useful, given the major electrification works that took place on the Brighton section of the Southern Railway before the war, which knocked out a lot of steam. Most lasted 60 years or so, and the surviving example is popular at the Bluebell. As for the Brighton being a "minor railway", well.....

Said in jest Ian, though in 1922 the GER had 100 E4 locos, and 18 survived until the mid-1950's

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I don't know if they're the same tank wagon or not, but Hattons is using a picture that looks like it may be from the new catalogue if the pictures of some other models are anything to go by http://www.ehattons.com/61006/Bachmann_UK_38_775_20_Ton_Tank_Wagon_ICI_/StockDetail.aspx

I don't think they have inside knowledge, that has too many unusual features. Just wait for the catalogue.

Paul Bartlett

Paul is right. We shouldnt speculate until the catalogue appears, but it will be disappointing if another tank wagon design from the early years of the last century were chosen for RTR production. For those modellers of the transition era, particularly from around 1964, there was quite a revolution in the transport of oil products on rail. A photo posted on Flickr recently shows a Jubilee at Rugby with a train of shiny new 45ton vacuum braked Mobil tanks which my good friend Mikeh reckons were on a Thamesside to Tile Hill service. He believes the train was diesel hauled from the South to Rugby, for a kickout from the shed to run forward. At this time Rugby had a few Jubes, so thats what clearly worked it.

I believe, and perhaps my namesake guru can confirm, many of the 45ton tanks delivered from the mid 1960s had their vacuum brakes replaced by air in the 1970s, but these cars received significant steam haulage in the mid 1960s by anything from a 28xx to a 9F, as well as BR std 4MTs, 8Fs etc. Apart from the larger barrelled 45T tanks there were hundreds and hundreds of 35T railcars per the old Airfix now Dapol kit.

It would be really useful to the keen transition modeller to have a nice "modern" tank wagon to cover the period from when traditional 14T and 20T tanks were replaced.

What an unusal 20 ton tank wagon in the Hattons photo. The barrel looks smaller than a 14 tonner, the very high metal saddles are most unusal, in fact metal saddles were quite rare.  It must be for a specific high density load. There is a couple of photos on Paul's site of an ex SMBP wagon with metal saddles in an engineers train at Northampton, blow if I can find it today, I am in the process of making/adding it to my SMBP collection of wagons.

I haven't seen the full specification for the 20 ton tank but it would be nice if it was the anchored variety like this.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/smbpanchor

Dave.

Dave's link to Paul's site shows the more common post war 20 ton tank wagon......please let it be one of these so I don't have to make any more anchor mounted wagons.

Dutch (engineer) have brake van and open wagon with weathered by i dont want weathered.

I agree with you - when editions are waethered only in some combinations it can be quite frustrating - especially if the factory weathering isn't to your taste!

where class 47 two tone grey with badge of trainload metals by what I want

Do some modelling!!!

"31-658DS - Class 47 47190 ‘Pectinidae’ BR Petroleum Sector DCC Sound"

Could be a sound basis when combined with some transfers from Fox. Not a difficult task.

However, it is disappointing that Bachmann have listed this loco in two versions only - weathered or with sound. A sector liveried loco from a very numerous class would be a nice staple to have in a 'normal' version. Apologies if I've missed any listed that are so.

What an unusal 20 ton tank wagon in the Hattons photo. The barrel looks smaller than a 14 tonner, the very high metal saddles are most unusal, in fact metal saddles were quite rare.  It must be for a specific high density load. There is a couple of photos on Paul's site of an ex SMBP wagon with metal saddles in an engineers train at Northampton, blow if I can find it today, I am in the process of making/adding it to my SMBP collection of wagons.

It is possibly an ammonia liquor tank, wartime build. The HMRS has a lot of ICI tank wagons in its collections. Similarly many other unusual tank wagons by Chas Roberts, Hurst Nelson etc. There were numerous designs. Until the mid 1960s there were numerous very old tank wagons remaining - especially in the SMBP fleet, but many others were equally as old, going back to the late 1890s - although with modified running gear etc.

I can't find the steel saddled tank being converted at Northampton, may be left behind on the Fotopic site? It seems to have been a wartime style which morphed into the anchor mounted design - they have a pair of the steel saddles. Found them http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/smbptank/e2fc37f32 and http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/smbptank/e3949a5ba

Changing the subject, why are people suggesting that the Tube is a duplicate? Is there a longer tube other than Parkside 1/447? I read the description as a long tube, diag 1/448 and it is a photo of one of those that Hattons has loaded.

Paul Bartlett

I've had the following clarification notes courtesy of Bachmann Design & Research Dept.

Branch-Line 00

class 24/1

This represents a Class 24 locomotive with a head-code box fitted, in the No series D5133 - D5150 (24133 - 24150) this will be completely new tooling.

Class 43 NB Warship, completely new tooling.

Archived