Bachmann announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Very pleased to see a 64xx on the cards, fingers crossed high level will follow it with a decent chassis for it...

Also good to see the gw earl is in post war livery and hence no need to start changing logos.

Slightly Disapointed to see another new 'gw' coach that is a post nationalisation build, hopefully this will now spur Hornby on to release an improved gw diagram autocoach to compete with it

Some very appealing modern wagon releases, and that warship could be tempting...

Again according to the picture on Hattons website it is http://www.ehattons.com/60829/Bachmann_UK_32_062_Class_42_Warship_810_Cockade_BR_Blue_Weathered/StockDetail.aspx

There are a lot of pictures there showing more details of what individual liveries will be, assuming of course they're correct. For example the BR 3MT tank 82020 is shown in unlined green.

Yes Andrew that's the correct livery / number font combo for 'Cockade' ;)

You have a good point regarding product pricing Paul

If the 158 is actually from new tooling (the same as the 101) then you'd expect the railcars to be of a simiar price, notwithstanding the former has a little more plastic and metal in it for the extra length. Subtract the price of a new sound chip (at trade price), say 60-70 quid to be generous, then there does seem a price disparity...

There's a couple of major underlying assumptions there.

The first is that the design to production process is cost equivalent between the models compared, with a small differential to allow for slightly more material in the larger prototype. If one requires a significantly more complex tooling investment to produce - as an example - that assumption is falsified.

The second relates to estimated sales and the pricing model. I make two products of generically similar layout which demand equal investment to bring to market. I expect to sell a significantly greater quantity of one of these. My pricing model operates to deliver a target return on investment: the product that does the larger sales volume will be offered at a significantly lower price.

Hello all, not been a 4mm modeller it looks like a good selection.

The Wickham trolley is perhaps the most interesting. As IIRC some early tamping M/Cs were made by Wickham's so maybe one of these could be on the cards in a year or two.

In the mid to late 1980s Kev Peo and myself were at Wigan? show and we spotted a kit for a Wickham trolley, so one was acquired, so sat in the pub (you can see where this is going), thoughts turned to how to motorise it. I think that the first thought was the Gandy Dancer but the wheel base and the length was to long. So that was out of the question. In them days there used to be a model shop on the way back to Wigan station so we had a look in there. We spotted a train set in 009 that had a 0-4-0T two or three coaches and some track for about £10 -£15. So we asked if we could have a look at it. The wheel base of the loco was just about spot on. Kev bought it.

Now you may have spotted one small problem. this loco runs on 9mm track. The club layout Bolden Junction was on 16.5mm track. So I got the loco and Wickham kit to take home.

So after a bit of head scratching (well a lot). I decided to make some new wheels and axles. Then it was just getting the thing to run. And it did. We reconed that if we could get half a dozen shows out of it we'd have done well, well we did do well as it's still running on Copell . I'll try and get Kev to post some photos of it .

OzzyO.

Now you may have spotted one small problem. this loco runs on 9mm track. The club layout Bolden Junction  was on 16.5mm track. So I got the loco and Wickham kit to take home. So after a bit of head scratching (well a lot).  I decided to make some new wheels and axles. Then it was just getting the thing to run. And it did.

We reconed that if we get half a dozen shows out of it we'd have done well, well we did do well as it's still running on Copell . I'll try and get Kev to post some photos of it .

OzzyO.

ive often thought of using n gauge motors and mechanisms in small 4mm vehicles.

• RMweb Premium

You have a good point regarding product pricing Paul

If the 158 is actually from new tooling (the same as the 101) then you'd expect the railcars to be of a simiar price, notwithstanding the former has a little more plastic and metal in it for the extra length. Subtract the price of a new sound chip (at trade price), say 60-70 quid to be generous, then there does seem a price disparity.

The variation between non-sound and sound fitted locos is a stunning £145. I know what I'll be doing.........

Cheers,

Mick

I don't know if they're the same tank wagon or not, but Hattons is using a picture that looks like it may be from the new catalogue if the pictures of some other models are anything to go by http://www.ehattons.com/61006/Bachmann_UK_38_775_20_Ton_Tank_Wagon_ICI_/StockDetail.aspx

I don't think they have inside knowledge, that has too many unusual features. Just wait for the catalogue.

Paul Bartlett

Bitumen TTA - I wonder what this will be, there are a lot of potential candidates.

The photo on Hattons site is interesting http://www.ehattons.com/60939/Bachmann_UK_37_560_45_Ton_Class_B_TTA_Conical_End_Black_Unbranded_/StockDetail.aspx an ex SMBP, ex Shell wagon in Esso ownership. I don't know their history - and apparently have never photographed any of them. If the original published numbers are correct (some) were still class A tanks in 1982. I would suggest another wait and see.

Paul Bartlett

......Subtract the price of a new sound chip (at trade price), say 60-70 quid to be generous, then there does seem a price disparity.....

....A premium of £120-plus for DCC sound seems a bit excessive. The comparable differential in US outline models has been dropping for a while and is now not much more than half that in many cases.

The variation between non-sound and sound fitted locos is a stunning £145. I know what I'll be doing.........

Assuming they are continuing to use LokSound decoders for their sound fitted models, why are the UK RTR companies not looking at the LokSound Select, which is a cheaper option, but retains the sound and motor capabilities of the V4.0 ?

After all, they are selling a pre-loaded sound project and they could supply and specify that from ESU, at a suitable trade price.

Interestingly, although the price of ESU sound decoders has gone up in the USA, the Select still retails for $80 to $82 plus tax, that's £54 - £55 which with UK VAT would be around £66.

I'm guessing a realistic UK retail figure would therefore be circa £70 (I notice Digitrains want £90 for one !!!!).

What price could be achieved for 1000 or 2000 of these sound decoders?

Another thought is that as Bachmann have now switched over to Soundtraxx to supply their own branded range of decoders, is it possible that the sound decoders they use will now also be sourced from the US manufacturer?

Very pleased to see a 64xx on the cards, fingers crossed high level will follow it with a decent chassis for it...

Also good to see the gw earl is in post war livery and hence no need to start changing logos.

Slightly Disapointed to see another new 'gw' coach that is a post nationalisation build, hopefully this will now spur Hornby on to release an improved gw diagram autocoach to compete with it

Some very appealing modern wagon releases, and that warship could be tempting...

With respect Rich, the existing panelled pukka GWR car has been around since Adam were a lad, even to the extent that Modelzone (i think) incorrectly used it for an RTC special in red and blue. I'm willing to wager that there are a higher percentage of modellers who prefer BR(WR) to GWR overall, and the flush sided vehicle will be a useful addition to the existing panelled car in their collection.

But thats just my opinion.

I don't know if they're the same tank wagon or not, but Hattons is using a picture that looks like it may be from the new catalogue if the pictures of some other models are anything to go by http://www.ehattons.com/61006/Bachmann_UK_38_775_20_Ton_Tank_Wagon_ICI_/StockDetail.aspx

Paul is right. We shouldnt speculate until the catalogue appears, but it will be disappointing if another tank wagon design from the early years of the last century were chosen for RTR production. For those modellers of the transition era, particularly from around 1964, there was quite a revolution in the transport of oil products on rail. A photo posted on Flickr recently shows a Jubilee at Rugby with a train of shiny new 45ton vacuum braked Mobil tanks which my good friend Mikeh reckons were on a Thamesside to Tile Hill service. He believes the train was diesel hauled from the South to Rugby, for a kickout from the shed to run forward. At this time Rugby had a few Jubes, so thats what clearly worked it.

I believe, and perhaps my namesake guru can confirm, many of the 45ton tanks delivered from the mid 1960s had their vacuum brakes replaced by air in the 1970s, but these cars received significant steam haulage in the mid 1960s by anything from a 28xx to a 9F, as well as BR std 4MTs, 8Fs etc. Apart from the larger barrelled 45T tanks there were hundreds and hundreds of 35T railcars per the old Airfix now Dapol kit.

It would be really useful to the keen transition modeller to have a nice "modern" tank wagon to cover the period from when traditional 14T and 20T tanks were replaced.

As several have said - a couple of diesels (including a hydraulic) and four very practical steam locomotives from three different railways - a very exciting announcement with lots of interest for a lot of people.

I'm delighted to see the 64xx, the E class and the SECR Birdcage stock. The shunters truck is an interesting announcement - plus it is a pound cheaper than Hornby's retail price.

64xx

Superb, the 64xx is straight on my shopping list. I just hope the "GWR green" livery is not the token postwar "G W R" format we always seem to get lumbered with. Please don't forget 1930's modellers, a "Great Western" liveried one (even shirt-button at a pinch) will be muchly appreciated. :)

Need to go back and digest the rest of the list now coz my eyes kept getting drawn back to the characters 6 4 x x

The announcement does say "GWR green" and that sounds rather like a post-war version to me. Perhaps Bachmann have done their research properly and won't be offering a token pre-war livery version with all the later excresences. Mind you, that's never stopped them with the 57XX/8750 and another manufacture in another scale has recently done the same, if their early samples are anything to go by. Maybe there is a large market of folk who are either satisfied with later locos in pre-war liveries or are prepared to wield the scalpel to get it right.

Yes, "GWR green" raises it's ugly head again. I wish we could train the manufacturers to be more specific.

I'd have to say I agree with your guess Nick.

Presumably "GREAT WESTERN" was the livery in which the first 64xx were outshopped in Ca ~1932-1934. It would be my preference. I presume from your comment that the push-pull fittings were added much later after construction. The post-war "G W R" livery is in this case more pragmatic here for a manufacturer to choose.

This model exemplifies the great conundrum for picking a period to model the GWR. To my eye the art-deco shirtbutton roundel looks well enough on small tanks but is lost on a tender side.

Paul is right. We shouldnt speculate until the catalogue appears, but it will be disappointing if another tank wagon design from the early years of the last century were chosen for RTR production. For those modellers of the transition era, particularly from around 1964, there was quite a revolution in the transport of oil products on rail. A photo posted on Flickr recently shows a Jubilee at Rugby with a train of shiny new 45ton vacuum braked Mobil tanks which my good friend Mikeh reckons were on a Thamesside to Tile Hill service. He believes the train was diesel hauled from the South to Rugby, for a kickout from the shed to run forward. At this time Rugby had a few Jubes, so thats what clearly worked it.

I believe, and perhaps my namesake guru can confirm, many of the 45ton tanks delivered from the mid 1960s had their vacuum brakes replaced by air in the 1970s, but these cars received significant steam haulage in the mid 1960s by anything from a 28xx to a 9F, as well as BR std 4MTs, 8Fs etc. Apart from the larger barrelled 45T tanks there were hundreds and hundreds of 35T railcars per the old Airfix now Dapol kit.

It would be really useful to the keen transition modeller to have a nice "modern" tank wagon to cover the period from when traditional 14T and 20T tanks were replaced.

We did try with the series we started in the earlier Model Rail supported by Dave Lowery, but the jinx of the Wagon Measuring Group saw off that magazine (we had already gone down with MRC). I don't know which is worse, not having anchor mounted tank wagons in 4mm or having a range of barely useable ones in 7mm (They appear to have copied the original Tourret book, neither knows how to produce a circle :stinker: ) I agree the 40 and 45T VB tanks would be very useful. But, as I have said before and elsewhere, the tank wagon photos on my site are of little interest to the vast majority. I think this is especially true of the post 1960s designs when it is difficult  to get anyone to even notice how different the brake riggings of the four main manufacturers were, let alone all of the other details that altered!

Another type that would be useful would be the Standard 100ton bogie tank, which had the more conventional continous frame. I think we all have to realise that the vast majority of wagons, ancient or modern are unlikely to be available with any accuracy as RTR - just consider the range of aggregate bogie boxes of the 1980s.

It does sound as if the new Bitumen could be interesting - I have no inside information on what is planned.

Paul Bartlett

Very pleased. SECR coaches, another SECR livery for the C class and the E4 in both LBSC and Southern livery. The SECR Birdcage stock is a real surprise but a welcome one. These releases really do suggest that almost anything is possible in the future.

...Presumably "GREAT WESTERN" was the livery in which the first 64xx were outshopped in Ca ~1932-1934...

Yes, 6400-9 were built in Feb-Apr 1932 so would have carried this livery. The next batch were built in Nov 1934 so, presumably, would have had the shirtbutton (I don't have photos of these to confirm, though).

...I presume from your comment that the push-pull fittings were added much later after construction. The post-war "G W R" livery is in this case more pragmatic here for a manufacturer to choose...

64XX were auto fitted from the start. ATC was fitted from about 1934, bunker steps and small whistle shields from around 1937, but new builds with top feed didn't happen until 1948, although a few acquired it earlier in boiler swaps. This does mean that the post-war livery would really only be correct for a small number of locos if they choose to produce only a top feed version. Then, of course, there would have been boiler swaps in BR days that could have resulted in removal of top feeds.

Nick

With respect Rich, the existing panelled pukka GWR car has been around since Adam were a lad, even to the extent that Modelzone (i think) incorrectly used it for an RTC special in red and blue. I'm willing to wager that there are a higher percentage of modellers who prefer BR(WR) to GWR overall, and the flush sided vehicle will be a useful addition to the existing panelled car in their collection.

By "panelled" I take it you mean steel panelled, Phil? The old Airfix trailer is a 1930ish A28 or A30 most of which which lasted until about 1960, so is quite usable for at least earlier BR(W). Indeed, many of the earlier wooden panelled types lasted almost as long. As to the numbers who prefer BR(W) to the real thing, you're probably right, but it's not as though the manufacturers give them much choice is it? There is remarkably little RTR stock of any kind that is really correct for any pre-war period.

Nick

Great Western if you can use it and roundel if you have no choice.  But GWR postwar is as different from prewar as it gets. This railway never used to be as popular as the other Big Four companies in the post-war 1945-47 period so maybe times have changed?

• RMweb Premium

But many of the early auto trailers lasted well into BR, so should please both GWR and BR fans IMHO, some were 50 years old and have been in many different liveries.

The new BR Auto Trailer (albeit GWR influenced) is just that - BR only!

This what we (or at least I) would like: http://www.railmotor93.org/latestnews/latestnews.html

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I have taken the rare step of sticking some preorders in.  A BR Late Crest E4, Jaffa and NSE MLV's and a couple of NSE Mk 2 TSO's are now bagged and I will wait to see what some of the others look like when they are released before commiting further. 

Quite a contrast with the one solitary pre-order I have with Hornby this year and that is for nothing overly significant which I think speaks volumes...

The warflats and the shunters trucks are interesting, but the 64xx will be dependent on what they mean by GWR livery. The photo of the Earl has already saved me some money.

I take it the birdcage coaches likely never made it to the south-west?

Adrian

Archived