Project 43 - The North British B-B Warships

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Very true John.

But a lot of effort today - Churchdown works on Bank Holiday overtime rates sorting these two out....

post-7138-0-70532700-1441039897_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-78747200-1441039935_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-38988500-1441039946_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-90449800-1441039956_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-34312700-1441039976_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-77826200-1441039986_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-60389200-1441040006_thumb.jpg

Spartan's crew are plainly anticipating reading time

post-7138-0-37136800-1441040019_thumb.jpg

As usual camera is cruel - need to redo headcode glazing on at least one box and a bit of toning down on Spartan's patches....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Spartan's crew are plainly anticipating reading time

attachicon.gifDSC00642.JPG

As usual camera is cruel - need to redo headcode glazing on at least one box and a bit of toning down on Spartan's patches....

Phil

Not wishing to urinate on your conflagration Phil, but, those handrails are missing a middle wicket, body sockets and a few alignment issues, hence my preference for starting with the older models, cheaper and still riddled with the same problems.

Sorry.

Nice weathering though.

post-5471-0-25108700-1441041258.jpg

post-5471-0-40602300-1441041274.jpg

post-5471-0-26278100-1441041288.jpg

post-5471-0-49266500-1441041298.jpg

post-5471-0-78711300-1441041306.jpg

Mike.

Managed to have a look at the green, maroon and blue 43s in the SVR shop at Kidderminster today, first time I've seen them in the flesh and I have to say I'm very impressed. Nearly bought a maroon one on the spot but having already bought an armful of books and spent the whole day behind D1062 I'd have been in the dog house when I got home!

• RMweb Premium

Detailed and weathered Pegasus and Zealous on parade here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63347-getting-down-and-dirty/?p=2009416

Royal Oak has been delayed owing to a signal failure outside Paddington ;) and is expected to arrive shortly.

Sample image :

i-mXVHJ6T-L.jpg

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Royal Oak arrived to day.  The bits all went on quite easily as this was the third one I've done so I've had some practice ;)

The Fox nameplates on the maroon and green ones are perfect fits over the tampo print.  On the blue one they're not so I'll have to get rid of the printed one first.  I found the same to be true of the class 42s.

• Like 1

Picked up my blue example today. Lovely model although a front footstep is detached and more annoyingly the red/white lights are not working at one end. Annoying because I spent Saturday getting the internal lights to work on the motor coach of my Kernow 2H which had also arrived with a lighting fault, so this is twice in a week for brand new out-of-the-box models.

Before doing anything drastic like sending it back, I shall take the body of the Warship and see if it's just a dodgy connection. Any hints and tips appreciated from those that have already had the model in bits :no:   

Lights issue sorted - as expected it was a connection not making good. The headcode and marker lights are in a unit that is glued to the back of the headcode box, with three tabs that make contact with panels on the chassis when the body is in place. Obviously on my example this panel had not been glued in place firmly enough and had come loose; it therefore failed to make good contact with the panels. Once reglued into place the problem was sorted.

• RMweb Gold

How was the blue warship faded? Looks magnificent

Hi Owen

We remove printing, then gloss varnish, apply details and any plates/transfers, more gloss to hide transfer films Then Matt followed by roof grime and any body washes/detail painting. Jumbo favours Matt whilst I shall probably go with satin for mashup which is currently languishing in works whilst I slum it in Rhodes....

Hope that helps

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hope that helps

You were doing fine until you mentioned slumming it in Rhodes...

Very interesting the differences in your and Gwiwer's weathering techniques, but all the 43s look great when done.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

You were doing fine until you mentioned slumming it in Rhodes...

Very interesting the differences in your and Gwiwer's weathering techniques, but all the 43s look great when done.

Thanks Andrew

We go down the varnish route to hide transfer film and also to protect them in the rough and tumble of exhibition running when locos are handled a fair bit. Some transfers are very delicate and susceptible to washes which we always thin with white spirit or turps, never paint thinners.

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Humbrol rattle can. Goes on just fine over original paintwork or resprays with precision - be that rattle can or airbrush. Rail match paints don't like it though so we are moving away from them to standardise on precision for any repainting

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Where's Peg?

attachicon.gifCIMG4862.JPG

Picked up two new 43s this afternoon, only put the front skirts on so far, very tasty, very sweet. :-)     BK

attachicon.gifCIMG4874.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG4873.JPG

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but the old Bachmann Class 42 was reckoned to sit a bit low in the body, by around 1mm. Looking at Brian's pictures it appears this may have been corrected on the Class 43, but I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to confirm.

Many thanks,   John.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but the old Bachmann Class 42 was reckoned to sit a bit low in the body, by around 1mm. Looking at Brian's pictures it appears this may have been corrected on the Class 43, but I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to confirm.

This was true of the early class 42s but was corrected for later batches.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Mr Picky now back from week in Rhodes and a weeks fluff chucking on the River Wye - work resumes on Sprightly

post-7138-0-30112000-1442679720_thumb.jpg

That shed code plate is just in the wrong place. Shouldn't be above the vacuum pipe but rather as we look at it over to the left next to the MU connection.

See https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6309614977/in/album-72157627920981333/

Out with the Model strip! Have an idea how to replace it watch this space

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Buffer beam now sorted - shed plate pad now in correct place - just a shed plate fixed on face to bufferbeam! Model strip had the original off in 20 mins flat. Will add central hole with black marker later when paint is dry. MU connections also blanked off.

post-7138-0-62326900-1442748227_thumb.jpg

Body is also coming along - has had transfers and second coat of gloss varnish

post-7138-0-39338700-1442748292_thumb.jpg

Nice of Bachmann to start supplying decent screw link couplings - saves more expenditure on Roger Smith ones.

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Looking good there Phil. I think D845 was in storage in the photo of her at Old Oak.

I've finally had chance to run my D865 today and the running is not as I was expecting. Admittedly I'm using an old H&M controller and temporary track, but Zealous takes off at a rate of knots on minimum voltage, and there does't seem to be much flywheel effect when stopping. Is this what others are seeing? It's not at all like other recent Bachmann diesels I have on the same set up, which seem altogether more refined with very slow speeds possible. I don't have a Bachmann class 42 - do these run any differently?

• Like 1