Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium

Here is a selection, including the one I mentioned starting at 5:12.

I could have posted that earlier but I chose not to.

I assume the truck didn't try braking when the lights first started flashing as there seems to be absolutely no slowing at all until it is close to the crossing.

Even on black ice you don't carry on ad infinitum.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I could have posted that earlier but I chose not to.

I assume the truck didn't try braking when the lights first started flashing as there seems to be absolutely no slowing at all until it is close to the crossing.

Even on black ice you don't carry on ad infinitum.

Keith

Apparently the only fatality was the truck driver though there were other serious injuries.

• RMweb Premium

The passenger train driver was lucky then.

Keith

Probably made it into the engine room and/or the way the truck cab was turned by the initial impact with the freight train (facing the passenger train) it formed a crumple zone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

All I see is a blank post

Aha! something has appeared!

But I still can't get anything from the links

Edited by melmerby
what appearedto be blank now has some content
  • Agree 1

A different form of Level Crossing stupidity as reported by the Oxford Times:

www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/17413017.shiplake-pensioner-who-confronted-great-western-railway-driver-speaks-out/

(Lady complains to Driver about train horn noise, Driver then too upset to complete their shift resulting in train cancellations !)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, caradoc said:

www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/17413017.shiplake-pensioner-who-confronted-great-western-railway-driver-speaks-out/

(Lady complains to Driver about train horn noise, Driver then too upset to complete their shift resulting in train cancellations !)

Like the railway crossing is new. It must have been there for 150 years at least.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

Very scary.  It seems to have travelled a fair way from the crossing too.

I do wonder if it's about time that drivers' should become personally liable for the financial impact of this sort of nonsense.  Cost of recovery, police time, costs to the TOC (or FOC when appropriate), etc to name a few that spring to mind. 

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, caradoc said:

I'd never heard of any sort of volume control on locomotive or multiple-unit horns. 

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I'd never heard of any sort of volume control on locomotive or multiple-unit horns. 

So someone at a call centre told the lady what she wanted to hear!

As if call centre staff, would do such a thing!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Like the railway crossing is new. It must have been there for 150 years at least.

I62 years this coming May.  But the requirement to sound the train horn before departing from the station towards the terminus at Henley has only existed since the crossing was converted to an AOC(L) in the early part of the 1970s - so train horns have only been sounded there  for 45 years or so.  Sounding the horn there is also a warning for a foot crossing which (due to lineside overgrowth) from one side has no view at all of a train leaving the station unless you are standing right by the rail edge.

• Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, caradoc said:

Just gone to that link to be faced with a picture of an XC HST with this written beside it: 

"Stock image of Great Western Railway train"

Well done, Oxford Times, complete an utter fail!! :lol:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

But I believe they can control the duration, which might amount to the same thing in some peoples eyes...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Big Jim reported a similar event recently on his thread - though in that case the complainant was using the crossing without notifying the signalling centre so was seriously in the wrong anyway.

There would be even more serious complaints - and probably serious consequences - if train drivers didn't use their horns. But of course the train driver should have seen the person on the crossing and stopped!!!

Jonathan

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Oh I dunno - it is a BMW (but strangely it seems to have working indicators - must be a new model)

More than likely the hazard lights came on automatically. A lot of vehicles have a knock sensor that switch on the hazard lamps and unlocks the doors (if you drive with them locked) in the event of an impact.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Oh I dunno - it is a BMW (but strangely it seems to have working indicators - must be a new model)

Nah that’s the “I am entitled to park anywhere I like if these are activated feature” not an indicator...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2