A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Surely that's not a 1366, it looks all wrong. The chimney...

[/quote

CM & DP Westernised 0-6-0T 29. Looks a useful little engine. SMR usually has a lot of tinplate; I have had good luck with what I have bought there usually with a Best Offer.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

As it's mild and I'm off work I thought I'd tackle the platform where the DSB sits and fit some support, new paving and fix the building in place.

Mounting card support.

post-126-0-64378400-1451394777_thumb.jpg

A base for the paving.

post-126-0-34761800-1451394884_thumb.jpg

Slaters paving which will be sprayed Sea Grey from an aerosol when dry.

post-126-0-93062100-1451394923_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Rob, when you sell Brent I would recommend that you consider seriously the arrangement of Yatton  (Somerset) as your next project. CK has an affinity with it and so do I. 

If you can not bring yourself  to sell Brent then we could perhaps arrange for another Shed to come your way.

Philth

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob, when you sell Brent I would recommend that you consider seriously the arrangement of Yatton  (Somerset) as your next project. CK has an affinity with it and so do I. 

If you can not bring yourself  to sell Brent then we could perhaps arrange for another Shed to come your way.

Philth

My next layout will be Brent in O gauge...

Lottery win permitting.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Much bigger shed and heavier wallet required for that one Rob - I'm getting away with small tanks, you'll need honking big 4-6-0s...

Something along the lines of Pete Waterman's Leamington Spa with a budget of 500K would do me !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I also easily removed the P number on some excellent weathered Bachmann wagons, seen here behind 6417.These seem to be sold out so hopefully they will do another run.

attachicon.gifDSCN7594.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN7595.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN7596.jpg

Those wagons do look good Robin.  

Might be worth experimenting on a few of your older wagons as well to gain a similar effect.  Saying that those Oxford Rail wagons aren't bad for around £8. There's even a Coventry Colliery version.  I understand POW coal wagons were pooled during WW2.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

A bit of modellers licence Mark and they're too good to resist and you are quite correct in trying the same effect on older ones, I already had a go at some.There are some shewn here.

post-126-0-43473100-1451415746_thumb.jpeg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Do you have a post war G * W Hall at all Robin?

I've just ordered a lining set from Fox for a Hornby Railroad Olton Hall I'm detailing and repainting as 5993 Kirby Hall in G * W livery. If you do have a Hall in this livery does it have a lining on the rear of the tender?

I don't think it does but the Fox set appears to have a rear lining panel but I'm presuming this is for an earlier period?

Cheers,

Mark

Those wagons do look good Robin.  

Might be worth experimenting on a few of your older wagons as well to gain a similar effect.  Saying that those Oxford Rail wagons aren't bad for around £8. There's even a Coventry Colliery version.  I understand POW coal wagons were pooled during WW2.

Cheers,

Mark

Were they completely removed or could you just have them in a bad condition with the signage removed?

• RMweb Gold

I don't think the rear was lined as seen here on a modified type.

attachicon.gif$_3.jpeg

Thanks Robin.

That's what I thought.  Is that a Bachmann model?

Watch my blog for an update in the future on 5993. 

Cheers,

Mark

Were they completely removed or could you just have them in a bad condition with the signage removed?

What seems to have happened during WW2 was that the old livery remained (though often with bits missing where planks had been replaced), but a small panel to the bottom of the left-hand side would carry the owner's name (often in abbreviated form), capacity and fleet number. After the Nationalisation of both railways and coal in 1948, this panel would be repainted with the load and a number starting 'P'. There were huge numbers of such wagons, many of which were scrapped pretty quickly, but others surviving into the 1960s. Some even bore vestigal 'Private-Owner' livery until the end, whilst others received a coat of 'Freight Grey'.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Robin.

That's what I thought.  Is that a Bachmann model?

Watch my blog for an update in the future on 5993. 

Cheers,

Mark

Yes it's a 90s model of Soughton Hall.

• RMweb Gold

Another new figure needs a name.I plan to fix him somewhere between the signal box and the Gents on the down platform.Today I glued the building to the paving but the atrocious weather put me off spending much time in the railway room.

post-126-0-96309700-1451496236.jpg

Thanks again for the quality work from another Rob, The Purple Primer.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 8