A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Helppppppp........please save me from relatives  and ridiculously over indulged Grandchildren. I can not hold my tongue much longer...................and I can't go to bed yet, it's only 17.40.

Goes against all my principles to feel like belting someone at this festive time.

So**ing grumpy Duck in Herefordshire.

Give each of the grandchildren a double whisky and - once they've been sick - they'll volunteer to go to bed

• RMweb Premium

I know I shouldn't be such an ar$e but there's only so much one can take of screaming, moaning, wanting, wanting more, showing off and stealing sweets having eaten almost nothing all day.......................................and that's just me.

Brandy..............................give me Brandy now!

Scrooge Duck in Welsh Borderlands.

• RMweb Gold

In a pub the other day there was a printed notice that children should be supervised. Any children found wandering would be given a strong coffee and a Red Bull before being returned to their parents. That would render them hyper for the rest of the day!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Is it just an 'age' thing that I find so much behaviour annoying in places where almost all the children are allowed to do just what they want regardless of where they are and who they might irritate? The social conventions of some years ago seem to have just disappeared. I suppose I don't notice the well behaved young people because they just don't feature in such situations?

• RMweb Premium

Is it just an 'age' thing that I find so much behaviour annoying in places where almost all the children are allowed to do just what they want regardless of where they are and who they might irritate? The social conventions of some years ago seem to have just disappeared. I suppose I don't notice the well behaved young people because they just don't feature in such situations?

My four beloved grandchildren are 10,000 miles away which is both a curse and a blessing, but you could try what my Dad used to do, which was to sit in an armchair and fall asleep (or pretend to?...).

Or respond to every interjection by quacking loudly and beating your wings, which should frighten them into submission.

• Like 2

I know I shouldn't be such an ar$e but there's only so much one can take of screaming, moaning, wanting, wanting more, showing off and stealing sweets having eaten almost nothing all day.......................................and that's just me.

Brandy..............................give me Brandy now!

Scrooge Duck in Welsh Borderlands.

A sure sign that as we age most go through this love/hate relationship. It too shall pass!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Will mince pie specials be running on the branch today? With a hot toddy for an over stressed duck.

Poor old Dr Quackstaffe.

Perhaps we need a Christmas ANTB get-together on a mutually convenient heritage railway.

Mulled wine, the hiss of escaping steam from the gleaming locomotive, the familiar and friendly aroma of hot oil and the comfortable carriages gently swathed in the warming wisps of steam heating.

• Like 6

Here's something Southern nobody has yet.

attachicon.gif12370672_10153367992253207_8380746707074281177_o.jpeg

If I was in the market for one it would be this.

attachicon.gif10655220_10153367992208207_8901436103691894520_o.jpeg

There's something Southern this body definitely doesn't want! - Spawned in the USA, eurgh!

I'm still getting over how good looking the DJ Models O2 is.

Glenn

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I would only wish to inflict myself on the family (whilst visiting them that is)  for a few hours, but SWMBO insists that it has to be 4 days. That's where the problem lies. However, I only have to annoy them for just over 24 more hours and then it's off to sunny Somerset for a couple more days. I wonder if the WSR is operational on Monday? 

If anyone feels really disturbed by my moaning then just purchase a BR late crest USA and send it to ................................................................that will shut me up for an hour or two.

Duck Dastardly

• RMweb Gold

Will mince pie specials be running on the branch today? With a hot toddy for an over stressed duck.

Today is father in law visiting day and we cook and eat another full Christmas dinner.Maybe tomorrow will bring some new shots.

• Like 2

It's me that annoys everyone at such festivities as I encourage kids to go wild. Every child is entitled to a childhood and I look at my grandchildren today as teacher, pro golfer, NHS secretaries and in Uni and see well-rounded fun loving individuals.  They remember the time they had with us as children, so now we get to see the emerging great grandchildren and it starts all over. Result!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I would only wish to inflict myself on the family (whilst visiting them that is)  for a few hours, but SWMBO insists that it has to be 4 days. That's where the problem lies. However, I only have to annoy them for just over 24 more hours and then it's off to sunny Somerset for a couple more days. I wonder if the WSR is operational on Monday? 

If anyone feels really disturbed by my moaning then just purchase a BR late crest USA and send it to ................................................................that will shut me up for an hour or two.

Duck Dastardly

How about this sort of solace for his duckness - Monday would indeed seem to be a fine day to visit the WSR

http://westsomersetrailway.vticket.co.uk/product.php/68/winter-steam-festival-2015

Today is father in law visiting day and we cook and eat another full Christmas dinner.Maybe tomorrow will bring some new shots.

We always used to go to my aunt's on Boxing Day - and that was always an even bigger dinner than Christmas Day!  But the really nice thing about 'back then' was that when my grandparents were still on the farm we had a proper chicken for Christmas Dinner and the same again at my aunt's the next day as she ran quite a large egg business.  So two days running we actually had chicken to eat which we knew had been killed no more than a few days previously and which actually tasted like proper free roaming farmyard chicken because that's what it was.  The good old days really were good when it came to getting a decent chicken to eat.  (In later years we always had a capon at home and we have carried on with that - plus roast pork - although even they aren't as good as they used to be especially since physical castration of cockerels was made illegal.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's me that annoys everyone at such festivities as I encourage kids to go wild. Every child is entitled to a childhood and I look at my grandchildren today as teacher, pro golfer, NHS secretaries and in Uni and see well-rounded fun loving individuals.  They remember the time they had with us as children, so now we get to see the emerging great grandchildren and it starts all over. Result!

Totally agree except to add that that the entitlement to a childhood should include a respect for other peoples' comfort at least some of the time. My problem is that I'm not 'allowed' to comment on inappropriate behaviour and that bugs me as Grandchildren should be able to understand that some grown ups actually say no and please and thank you  and can you stop shouting and just listen for a moment. If I do that I get asked not to and that is what riles me. 

I love to see how my family develops but parenting attitudes have just changed and I don't cope! In my childhood I was expected to behave as requested not do as I wanted, when I wanted, especially when there were other people around.

Right, that's enough moaning as he can be a lovely little lad, but not when his mum is around as he then resorts to spoiled brat mode. :scared:

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

The WSR looks like a very tempting place to be on Monday or Tuesday; thanks Mike. I'd have suggested taking the family there but they don't get up until about mid day, don't eat all day.....well until tea time/dinner time. Crazy stuff; WTF did I do wrong with my lad all those years ago......it's all my fault :sarcastichand:  

SWMBO and my Sister will benefit from a visit there though; they just love Halls!

P

Just reading the Kingsbridge Branch again. After all this indoctrination here, I can now understand it more fully. A pity the timing wasn't right for preservation as it had everything, a main line connection with a terminus and two wayside stations. Would it have been suitable for main line engines though?

Brian.

• Like 1