A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

It makes me wonder how we won WW2 with all these fails in aircraft.

It's the way the aviation historians like to write things up. They glorify the Spitfire, the Hurricane and Lancaster and vilify a great number of RAF aircraft. You have to ask yourselves why did the GWR rename Castles after these apparent failures, do some digging and you'll find out ;) 

Actually, a 'Castle' and a 'Star'... (Sorry if it's already been mentioned).

Cheers,

BR(W).

Mr Brooksbank must have been extremely  lucky to get a shot of the only Star still running on July 27th 1957 -  4056 Princess Margaret and with it's newly fitted cab side window :jester:

post-9751-0-25476300-1523303951.jpg

I still think they are both Castles and the particular working in the photo is referred to in "Summer Saturdays in The West" (David and Charles)

• Like 2

Thank God it wasn't a Focke....

That's reminded me of the (surely apocryphal) Douglas Bader story of him lecturing a girls' school on his wartime career.

'There we're two of the *888*ers behind me...

headmistress ' girls, the Focke was a type of German aircraft'

Bader: 'well these were `Messerschmitts'

Or Halls so it seems. ;)

I have bought another two 'cheap' halls recently as spare powerplants. At £40 off eBay, if one of my detail Railroad halls fails, it is now a case of changing the chassis. I have a Kernow £69 King to donate a chassis to a worn out (it is nearly 50 years old) Wills if I can get it to fit. I could not buy the bits to rebulid/make a new chassis for this, and then there is the time factor. Sadly no cheap Castles.....yet.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I have bought another two 'cheap' halls recently as spare powerplants. At £40 off eBay, if one of my detail Railroad halls fails, it is now a case of changing the chassis. I have a Kernow £69 King to donate a chassis to a worn out (it is nearly 50 years old) Wills if I can get it to fit. I could not buy the bits to rebulid/make a new chassis for this, and then there is the time factor. Sadly no cheap Castles.....yet.

Mike Wiltshire

I'm waiting to pick up a cheap Castle chassis as well I must get my old Saint sorted out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Right Robino I've finally had time to mess with the 47xx main issue was derailing this was due to (1) a p!ss poor pony truck which is light as a feather solution truck was to weight it with lead 

and while it was out a Romford axle went in (2) loco and tender coupled too close together draw bar is adjustable and was open out to the largest gap, I lost the tender coupling so a Bachmann

one was subtituted, had to glue the brake rodding on as it clipped into fresh air, the tender tank way too far back on the chassis there's 3 fixing point 2 under the tool boxes and 1 under the filler

cap the holes where the screws go through were elongated a small amount and refixed, chipping one should be dead easy as it's access from under the tank top apart from super detailing

there's nothing else to do.

One thing with this loco the armchair merchants will give it a wide berth but the amount of work I've done to it has not been the first time Hornby 8 couple heavy tanks for instance were just as bad

tomorrow will be haulage trial day once all the track has been cleaned.

A Fixer

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin,

Talking of good Manors will 7804 be making an appearance soon?

I believe there’s a clunky 7802 at Tigley as well?

Cheers,

Mark