A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin,

Talking of good Manors will 7804 be making an appearance soon?

I believe there’s a clunky 7802 at Tigley as well?

Cheers,

Mark

Go on then, you've twisted my arm.

• RMweb Gold

Would the Austin really have been parked so badly in those days?

I imagine Dr Snodgrass had an emergency.......perhaps with the Finching sisters who dont appear to have moved for a while

Edited by john dew

It would not take a couple of strapping fellows long to "bounce" it out of the way, or half-a-dozen to pick it up and move it! They only weighed about 7 cwt, (the cars not the fellows).

Just to show that nit-picking is not restricted to Railway items, that sun-roof would have been a post-war retro-fit, (and were fitted to some Morris 8 saloons from about 1955/6) and is the Reg. number correct for a (I think) 1929 short wheel-base saloon? Can't check, I no longer have my car Reg. data -- /Pedant mode off !! /

Even in the ANTB time-frame, it was a bit unusual to find an Austin 7 in such good condition, in the early '60s scrap yards were awash with them, I had several for which I never paid more than £25 each.

I believe that they were the best Meccano set ever made, Ideal for a wannabe Engineer to cut his teeth on, and so easy to dismantle and maintain. Until the advent of electronic systems, cars held no terrors for me!  AHH, the good old days!

Edited by DonB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I imagine Dr Snodgrass had an emergency.......perhaps with the Finching sisters who dont appear to have moved for a while

Dr Creasy was attending to Miss Jasper who had fainted at the sight of the new Heljan 47xx.

• RMweb Gold

Robin the beast manager 60 wagons with ease I couldn't be @sred to go and get more as I had a visitor to the layout today so some serious running of trains was done, I'll take

more out tomorrow and see if it will pull 90.

Btw I tried it on a three way point in all directions with no issues it looks as if I've cured all the running problems fingers crossed, I'm now trying to get the blobs off the cab sides

to put some brass number plates on it this should improve the looks no end I'll do a pic when its all done.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Beast's road trial

post-8647-0-79240700-1523713797_thumb.jpg

80 vans were hooked on the back and it slpped not moving 70 vans and it only just about started the train, 65 vans with some slip and again 60 van with no slip

the longest FY siding will only take 42 wagons so preformance was OK for me.

The first 45 vans  

post-8647-0-54467100-1523713816_thumb.jpg

the last of the train

post-8647-0-17245700-1523714422_thumb.jpg

The loco has been run in and oiled and now running "sweet as a nut"

It's shame as Drew put it they were packed by a 300lb gorilla but I recon the footplates were force out of the moulds still hot to incur the amount and level of damage

I would hope the G.W.R. livery and the others to come should be OK as long as Heljan look at what they are sending to the stores time will tell.

Edit oops backs of the legs slapping time, I've forgotten to put any lamps on the damn thing

Edited by 81C
  • Like 14

I run in another loco in today it didn't take a lot the trusty Hornby Castle I put all the recent aquired LMS stock on a through train from the north to Kingswear

there's a fair old variety of colours between the different brands Bachmann full Brake, Dapol 2nd & 7th, Replica all 3rd 4th coach, the remainder Airfix brake thirds

and comps, that book The Great Western in Devon has cost me a few bob so far. 

Money well spent! :declare:

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

I must admit if I could get my layout looking half has good as yours I'd be a happy bunny, still my mojo is all systems go at the moment must be getting the Beast to work

so lets see what becomes of this year.

It looks like I need three new Manor chimneys it's fatal coming on this forum or reading a railway book.

A little bit pee'd off today a Castle is missing a name plate and had to order a new set from Jim PAH. 

Rob are you doing Drews Didcot tour or the Wycrail show ?.

• RMweb Gold

Rob are you doing Drews Didcot tour or the Wycrail show ?.

No but I'm coming to the Railex show at Aylesbury next month. Always a good show and a meet up with people on here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No but I'm coming to the Railex show at Aylesbury next month. Always a good show and a meet up with people on here.

Am I to presume on a Sunday as usual I've a friend who might go I can let him know in advance.

• Like 3

Awww Rob!

Go on - you know you want to come along...

All the best,

Castle