A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

You some kind of expert then, chum?

Know a bit about trees, do you?

Wots wrong wif 'igher branches, anyway?

Wot if Robin's picked all 'is low 'anging fruit, he don't need no low branches in that case, does 'ee?

I'm thinking that every layout should be doing its bit for the environment and saving the polar bears. More trees is an obvious answer. I've identified huge swathes of land on ANtB that could be forested. Just think how good Rob would feel knowing he'd played his part in stopping the ice caps melting. Well worth IMO not being able to see the locos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Only spoiled by it being next to the baseboard edge and having nothing to hide it.

How about placing a glorious sunshine liveried Bulleid on the siding. The bright and cheerful livery will draw attention away from the baseboard edge.

I do think though for the safety of your shed staff you should have a wall, fence or hedge. At the very least frequent "Warning, sheer drop, danger of death" signs.

Elfnsafety

• RMweb Premium

ANTB is a Flat Earth layout, brought to you by the FES.

I have a jazzy Bulleid BOB that just needs a little alteration (daft Humnby gave it a Speedo and AWS front end as it has in preservation). It needs a good, Sweet foster home.

Iva Bulleid

• RMweb Gold

How about placing a glorious sunshine liveried Bulleid on the siding. The bright and cheerful livery will draw attention away from the baseboard edge.

Perhaps he should glue it in position, to protect all the proper locos from falling off.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps he should glue it in position, to protect all the proper locos from falling off.

21C149 Anti Aircraft Command.

post-126-0-91597500-1524409468_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I suppose with the birth today of another future King

But he won't be King, will he, unless George decides to marry a divorced iguana from the Peoples Democratic Republic of Macadamia, which is currently not permitted under Macadamian Protocols and the girlie princess (what's her name again?) would prefer to become an actress in a leading South American soap opera instead of becoming Queen.

If George decides to be King after all, then his younger brother will have to content himself with being the Duck of Wimbledon or similar.

• RMweb Gold

But he won't be King, will he, unless George decides to marry a divorced iguana from the Peoples Democratic Republic of Macadamia, which is currently not permitted under Macadamian Protocols and the girlie princess (what's her name again?) would prefer to become an actress in a leading South American soap opera instead of becoming Queen.

If George decides to be King after all, then his younger brother will have to content himself with being the Duck of Wimbledon or similar.

Spoilsport.

I'm thinking that every layout should be doing its bit for the environment and saving the polar bears. More trees is an obvious answer. I've identified huge swathes of land on ANtB that could be forested. Just think how good Rob would feel knowing he'd played his part in stopping the ice caps melting. Well worth IMO not being able to see the locos.

Most layouts never seem to have enough trees, especially those on rural areas which seem to be the most popular. The landscaping may be as realistic as it can get but the trees are invariably sparse and plonked here and there. A lot of rural England still has leaf coverage and this could be reflected in model form. Until recently, tunnels of trees could be found and branches scraping the train as it passed but apparently recent clearings have changed all this in places.

Brian.

• Like 1

Most layouts never seem to have enough trees, especially those on rural areas which seem to be the most popular. The landscaping may be as realistic as it can get but the trees are invariably sparse and plonked here and there. A lot of rural England still has leaf coverage and this could be reflected in model form. Until recently, tunnels of trees could be found and branches scraping the train as it passed but apparently recent clearings have changed all this in places.

Brian.

Whilst I naturally agree with you Brian I was asked by a certain Mr.Rice to exhibit at Newton Abbot many years ago with my Broad Gauge layout, a fictitious one by the named Avonside.

The main line was on a large embankment which lead down to a harbour area and which had quite a lot of vegetation and many types of scratchbuilt trees.

Mid afternoon on the second day I was discussing the methods used to make the trees with an interested chap when a " local lady " accompanied by two young boys stopped to look. One of the boys showed a great interest when his mother said in a loud voice " Come on you've seen enough of that one, and anyway its far too green and I don't like it".

Those around me and close to the layout just stood in amazement, so natural greenery doesn't seem to suit all !

Yours

N. Otbotvverd

Edited by bgman