A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 81C said:

I gave up with my kit and bought a Heljan jobby, I could not get it to go round curves once the side rods went on I really need a second set of rods so I can split them JLTRT:butcher:

Fortunately mine seems happy with 3ft radius curves, although I haven’t tested it through any points, those in the fiddleyard are B8 minimum so should be ok.  Just need it running reliably to give it a real test.  It sufferes from pick up issues 

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 23:12, Oldddudders said:

Interestingly, poking that with the Apple Pencil on my iPad has now converted all timings on all threads to real time, which I prefer. Thanks, Paul!

Worked in Tasmania too. Thanks Paul.

• RMweb Gold
On 14/02/2019 at 12:53, bgman said:

Valentines Day.... Huh !

Roses are red,

Violets are blue,

A few pints of beer are cheaper,

And I'm single too !

Enjoy your day :laugh:

G

S’alright for you! I’m having to be particularly nice to Sherry right now, in case I need somewhere to live if France chucks me out!

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Agreed, the Chimney does look most odd, it almost has a Standard look about it.

I am not a Castle expert and usually make jokes about double chimney beauties, but this one looks very tall and thin and I don't think they had those even in the olden days when Rob was a teenager.

P

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I am not a Castle expert and usually make jokes about double chimney beauties, but this one looks very tall and thin and I don't think they had those even in the olden days when Rob was a teenager.

P

When Rob was a teenager (like myself), main-line loco's didn't have chimney's - only exhaust ports or panto-graph. The chimney-ed ones were only found on preserved railways and didn't venture out much onto the Mainline..

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

P

Indeed.Not even when I was.:senile: I now have a big:yahoo:when the term olden days appears.It is though one with a single chimney and remember the Castles were rebuilt with shorter chimneys before the unmentionable that dare not speak its name carbuncles were introduced much later.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2019 at 13:07, Killybegs said:

I wonder if I'll get chucked out of Ireland!

Indeed, John, if we both get thrown back to the UK then the Brexiteers will find they may have chucked out some foreigners, but the returning Brits will prove to be resentful and nasty!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

31 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Rob

Is it my eyes or is it the track isn't keen on having all the tender wheels on it? :dontknow:

The GWR had a policy that if the tender was light on coal then one axle would be raised to save wear.

You know, just like lorries do...

Ahem...

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Is it true that you might have a new coach of the brake variety gracing Brent soon Rob? 

:D

CoY

Yes but I have a feeling it's been abducted by aliens, probably the same ones who fitted the chimney on 4097.:o

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Yes but I have a feeling it's been abducted by aliens, probably the same ones who fitted the chimney on 4097.:o

Odd things do happen...

Just had crop circle appear in my back garden (which is odd considering I haven't got any crops or grass in the garden), sitting in the middle was a very traumatized OO gauge coach (of the brake variety) in it's box, with a note attached stating - 'We've finished experimenting on it, can you fix it and return it to Robin please'

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

If Gillian Anderson comes with it I'd be very tempted to throw the coach away and make do !

• Agree 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 1

As with a Pannier the photograph above will never, repeat, never offend me mate !

Oh! And once a Knight was never enough either !!!:laugh:

D.Reamer

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2