A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bgman said:

Heads up, Women's Beach Volleyball is to be included in the 2020 Commonwealth Games, YEY ! 

I know Birmingham very well but I never knew it had a beach.....

Whispering Sands.

• Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Nice work and very useful to see this Mike. Can I ask what period these sides are for? I can't quite make out from the Worsley list whether their replacement sides are only for the 1929 rebuild, or if they are also available for the 1900 and 1917 condition.

D33 History

Built March 1900. Designated as a Kitchen 1st until 1910. To be run with adjacent dining car, assumed to be a diagram A6 with collapsible tables. Roof part sloping over dining area, conventional clerestory roof over van section.

Reclassified as Brake 3rd 27/8/10. Full body etch only from Worsley.

Rebuilt November 1917. Two extra doors fitted each side to design as per ‘normal’ brake third, but remained an open coach. Guard’s doors changed to open outwards. Sloping dining roof replaces with conventional clerestory roof.

Full body etch only from Worsley.

Look out/projections removed from all between 1926 (2329) and 6/29 (2331). All gas equipment removed and fitted with electric lighting 1929/30. Condemned 1939-1940. Full body etch from Worsley. OR  Sides/ends/clerestory roof from Worsley.

A good friend had begun the research on the original version, as it seams so odd to have a kitchen first. I became involved as I was curious what happened to the D33 as they were in service for 40 years. Worsley had been asked to produce the original version, and were very helpful in producing the later versions. A good image of a 1930's condition was found in David Geen's photo collection and as it was the same size as the Hornby, I asked for the 1929 version be available as sides etc to fit to the rtr body. It is a bit of an experiment to see how popular replacement sides etc would be compared to a full body kit.

Hornby have them relisted the corridor clerestories again, and I considered the later versions with replaced panels, look outs etc, might be of interest. If it sells well, then it will be worth looking at producing other replacement sides. Those who do not want to build a full kit have to put up with flat sides and the C15 produced by Hornby which were all rebuilt by WW1. I hope having some panels may prove popular.

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, bgman said:

Heads up, Women's Beach Volleyball is to be included in the 2020 Commonwealth Games, YEY ! 

Back in 2012 one of my friends said he had tickets to the Olympics, and with a smile on his face "including the women's beach volleyball".

Soon after the fortnight of avoiding the telly I saw his wife and asked her did she enjoy the Olympics. She said she did but her husband didn't like the beach volleyball as he didn't understand the rules.:dontknow:

When the opening ceremony was taking place I was watching a cracking video of Stratford loco depot in diesel days.....right place but wrong time. :ok:

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, bgman said:

36 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Back in 2012 one of my friends said he had tickets to the Olympics, and with a smile on his face "including the women's beach volleyball".

Soon after the fortnight of avoiding the telly I saw his wife and asked her did she enjoy the Olympics. She said she did but her husband didn't like the beach volleyball as he didn't understand the rules.:dontknow:

When the opening ceremony was taking place I was watching a cracking video of Stratford loco depot in diesel days.....right place but wrong time. :ok:

To make it less sexist, male fans watching at the event at the stadium have to wear budgie smugglers

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Weekend away down in Somersetshire, Saturday looking at the old S&D, Sunday at the Wells show. Some very dodgy characters seen on Sunday...

IMAG0590.jpg.ac4ebea1d7eafcc138b65afe94a1b673.jpg

Mr Maddocks, it's rather rude to use your phone at the dinner table.;)

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Mr Maddocks, it's rather rude to use your phone at the dinner table.;)

It was an expression of Artistic endeavour, which could not be constrained by the aesthetic juxtaposition of the various forms surrounding the ethereal nature of the occasion.

Darling.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

It was an expression of Artistic endeavour, which could not be constrained by the aesthetic juxtaposition of the various forms surrounding the ethereal nature of the occasion.

Darling.

Ah, I see - he was on eBay.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Flora Finching couldn't take her eyes of the new eye candy on the down platform...

1327006671_DSCN5778(2).JPG.679b534bfc440f50a528afae2c243b1b.JPG

Presumably this is for your 1997 timeframe, 'cos that prototype wouldn't have been around in 47 or 57!

Can;t wait to see a few class 50s through Brent.

All the best

TONY

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

I don’t think he’s impressed as he hasn’t replied yet.

Once again, I don't know what you're all going on about. I've spent most of the morning doing chores.

Who hasn't replied yet?

Is it someone we know?

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 13/08/2019 at 08:22, 2ManySpams said:

Amazing what caught the eyes of this group of reprobates...

IMAG0584.jpg.417cb1e3ba7d5e762fc595902409202b.jpg

IMAG0587.jpg.09e67d9e042dba071d6f8a2ca0a24852.jpg

I was actually more taken with the fish rather than the Robin.

5BF9EDCD-7E99-48D3-B2C3-D5F03D1D434B.jpeg

Edited by Taz
Mixing up my bird species....
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, toboldlygo said:

Did he pinch a certain Doctor's time machine or is he a Time-lord too?

No, rule one applies and if Kevin can appear on Little Muddle in a 1930s scene then anything goes.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

No, rule one applies and if Kevin can appear on Little Muddle in a 1930s scene then anything goes.

Some say I did look like my grandad...…! before he lost his hair that is!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

'cos that prototype wouldn't have been around in 47 or 57!

Can;t wait to see a few class 50s through Brent.

Missed this earlier Tony, I wouldn't say no to a Western or Warship now.

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1