A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

"It was either stand here knowing that I would get papped and end up on RM Web, or shovel forward - so who got the better deal?"

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

X means that the loco can haul heavier loads than stated by the Power/Weight Classification Disc.

The X came in during WW2, along with the re-positioning of the disc to just above the cabside number plate (to make it easier to see under blackout conditions)

Was the X applied just to Granges, Counties and Modified Halls or were there others?

• RMweb Gold

Was the X applied just to Granges, Counties and Modified Halls or were there others?

Don't recall the Counties needing the symbol....though they may have carried one. In their later days with d/c and front end modifications they would be diagrammed for the very heaviest West of England trains and were a motive power mainstay on summer Saturdays and for the heavy North to West loadings from Shrewsbury.Good question though.Must research that.
  • Like 1

Robin, I think you could attract more followers if you renamed the thread (again) to: A Nod To Brent - Fun, friendly, frivolity and French fries in the South Hams 1947.

Ham and chips?

Does that come with a pineapple ring and fried egg?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't recall the Counties needing the symbol....though they may have carried one. In their later days with d/c and front end modifications they would be diagrammed for the very heaviest West of England trains and were a motive power mainstay on summer Saturdays and for the heavy North to West loadings from Shrewsbury.Good question though.Must research that.

Which is perhaps a timely opportunity to plead the long overdue case for a decent one in 4mm r-t-r.Who will blink first or must we forever be saddled with the current Hornby misbegotten lump ?

• RMweb Premium

Which is perhaps a timely opportunity to plead the long overdue case for a decent one in 4mm r-t-r.Who will blink first or must we forever be saddled with the current Hornby misbegotten lump ?

Excuse me - there's a que!  You can't just jump to the front and ask for something like that!

There's a Manor ahead of you, and a Saint, and a baby County, and County Tanks  - all of which are interspersed with different versions of what seems to be the same 0-6-0 pannier thingy.

Then the vintage brigade want something called a Bulldog and a semi roofed pannier no doubt, and a Abba-dare, and no doubt another pannier of sorts.

We can't even go close to discussing how many Toplights are in the "WANT   I WANT   I WANT que"   And no doubt without even asking for it we'll get development time and factory space given out to another King another pannier, and more four wheel milks.

So please shuffle quietly to the back of a very long que.

no further back please

bit more

that's it - just behind the 97XX tanks.

Thank you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin

Every time you post these great photos of 1363 my resolve starts weakening......I am pretty certain they were never seen in North Wales but there is always Rule#1.

Not worried about splashers but I do worry about smooth running and haulage power......how reliable has yours been? Ok on gradients?

Regards from Vancouver where it will hit the mid thirties today

John

• RMweb Gold

Not worried about splashers but I do worry about smooth running and haulage power......how reliable has yours been? Ok on gradients?

Mine runs nice but needs clean track and I don't have any gradients to contend with. Haulage is satisfactory for my needs. I love mine as it's so bl**dy photogenic especially after James did a fabulous job of weathering her.

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Being a monosyllabic person.a simple no will suffice. Now with regard to the X cabside power rating,Wikipedia in its majestic authority does in fact cite that from wartime and after the rating was carried by 4900 and 6959 Halls,Granges and Counties. With regard to the last of the three,their true haulage potential was only finally realised after front end tweaking and d/c fitting in the late 1950's.This

was in many ways a blessing because their enhanced performance came in very useful soon after the introduction of the Warships with their teething problems and slow delivery.In many ways they are a neglected machine.IMHO,unjustly so because I remember them in ther element in Cornwall and Devon where their power and sure footedness were very useful,just like the Grange.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Being a monosyllabic person.a simple no will suffice. Now with regard to the X cabside power rating,Wikipedia in its majestic authority does in fact cite that from wartime and after the rating was carried by 4900 and 6959 Halls,Granges and Counties. With regard to the last of the three,their true haulage potential was only finally realised after front end tweaking and d/c fitting in the late 1950's.This in a way was in many ways a blessing because their enhanced performance came in very useful soon after the introduction of the Warships with their teething problems and slow delivery.In many ways they are a neglected machine.IMHO,unjustly so because I remember them in ther element in Cornwall and Devon where their power and sure footedness were very useful,just like the Grange.

The X was also carried by 2800, 2884 & 47xx classes to some degree - so choose your victim carefully.